Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #22,876 of 148,516
I just watched the show on FB. Nicely done gentlemen.

What is with all the negativity on this thread about Jil? Wasn't it here that people were begging for an ADC? Well there you go. Quit yer bitching!

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #22,877 of 148,516
Sol for the turntable, nice, with Mani. Sun and moon.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #22,881 of 148,516
I thought it was all about sound quality.
Of course it is. Taking for granted the ADC will convert analog to digital fairly transparently, it had better offer
a range of formats.

Look on Sweetwater or Musicians Friend and there are a slew of sub $500 ADCs, many offer recording to an SD card
which I love, computer connectivity, and 16 bit, 24 bit, 44.1, 88.2 96,192 kHz etc, along with DSD.

Korg, Furutech, and bunch of others make nice units.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #22,882 of 148,516
What are "Jil" and "ADC", please? I am acronymed-out.

I am striking out on the name "Jil". Guess we'll have to wait for the web site's Norse interpretation to tell us when it goes on sale, probably Monday.

You might want to archive some old albums, old tape, even an FM radio broadcast straight to your computer.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #22,883 of 148,516
I agree with those who are asking "What is better about this ADC?".

The whole reason for a Schiit ADC was that Mike created a custom ADC for MFSL called "The Gain System" that used a lot of the technology and innovative techniques that later went into the Yggdrasil (except in the reverse direction of course).

So, a non-multibit Modi ADC designed by Mike might be the best thing for $200, but certainly more details are needed. :)

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #22,884 of 148,516
I agree with those who are asking "What is better about this ADC?".

The whole reason for a Schiit ADC was that Mike created a custom ADC for MFSL called "The Gain System" that used a lot of the technology and innovative techniques that later went into the Yggdrasil (except in the reverse direction of course).

So, a non-multibit Modi ADC designed by Mike might be the best thing for $200, but certainly more details are needed. :)
I am betting there is some sort of savory secret Schiit sauce...considering the pedigree with MFSL.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #22,885 of 148,516
And what product is "SOL" ?

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #22,887 of 148,516
The new turntable they are working on.

Oh grrrrrrreeeeeat! I all ready have five (5!) turntables. Including my fave, my Crosley Keepsake Deluxe! Well...Okay. My current favorite is my 50th anniversary Sgt. Peppers Pro-ject.

But the Keepsake Deluxe sounds as good (through separate speakers, not the built in ones) and is quite bitchin' to behold. Just like the Pro-Ject. And my Technics (fully automatic!). And my Teac. And my Denon (another fully automatic!)

I like the looks of my equipment. I like the music my equipment plays. I like the sound of music regard less of the source that I play it on. Vinyl does not sound "better" than digital, but some times, just some times it makes me feel better when I hold it.

Above all that, there are the songs of my life. I can play them on any thing I own but the real player is within me. Memories.

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #22,889 of 148,516
SOL is kind of ugly, but if the performance is great, I can probably get over it. The only thing more, "Heretical" I can think of that Mike could make would be a R2R Deck. I would throw money at them so fast.

Generally, you want to play back a tape on the deck on which it was recorded. Of course, the exception is when the recording deck was crap. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back