Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 28, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #20,521 of 149,146
I'm sure Cozzi can provide a lot of relevant information to all of us about the importance of volume moderation with our music systems to preserve hearing for the future.

Unfortunately I think his colleagues will be seeing a dramatic uptick in deafness in the future as Gen X, Y, Z wreck theirs with their IEMs, buds, and headphones at the outrageous volumes that they so love. Not that my Boomer generation didn't mess ours up enough with speakers and concerts, but we didn't have them blaring constantly like so many do today.

May 28, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #20,522 of 149,146
Now as much as I just gave a bunch of reasons to diss IEMs, my most desired audiophile upgrade is an IEM that I can wear to a concert to drop the SPL down to 80-85 dB WITHOUT altering the frequency response. Yeah I have some Etymotics, but they still dull things WAY too much. I end up leaving them out which I know is incredibly stupid.

I basically want a device with a big MOAR knob than also goes LESS so I'm not risking things and can enjoy the concert on my acoustical terms not that dictated by the deaf sound guy.

Anyone know if this thing exists- a perfectly transparent noise attenuating headphone or IEM that drops only SPL but does so acoustically accurately?

May 28, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #20,523 of 149,146
Anyone know if this thing exists- a perfectly transparent noise attenuating headphone or IEM that drops only SPL but does so acoustically accurately?
Have you looked at musicians earplugs? They come in a variety of attenuation levels.
http://blog.sonicbids.com/best-earplugs-for-musicians

You mentioned Etymotics. Besides IEM's, they also make musicians earplugs:
https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/erme.html

Saw these recently on Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/earasers-earplugs
Lots of choices on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=musician+earplugs+high+fidelity

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #20,524 of 149,146
Someone mentioned Ety's. They would have to come from this family of earphones:

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones.html

I used Ety 4Ps for almost a decade before "tiring" of its awesome flat response. I bring Etymotic ER-20xs "high fidelity" ear plugs with me to concerts. [Etymotic was producing in-ears for consumers before most consumers knew there was a market for them.]

May 29, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #20,525 of 149,146
Now as much as I just gave a bunch of reasons to diss IEMs, my most desired audiophile upgrade is an IEM that I can wear to a concert to drop the SPL down to 80-85 dB WITHOUT altering the frequency response. Yeah I have some Etymotics, but they still dull things WAY too much. I end up leaving them out which I know is incredibly stupid.

I basically want a device with a big MOAR knob than also goes LESS so I'm not risking things and can enjoy the concert on my acoustical terms not that dictated by the deaf sound guy.

I can't find the link, but I read recently about a company developing hearing software for mobile phones. The idea is that a lot of hearing impaired are too embarrassed to wear visible aids, but nobody looks twice if you've got earbuds in. Most mobiles have pretty good mics (necessary for use as a phone, of course) and the software is designed to be custom tailored to correct for hearing and volume both - thus the phone can act as a hearing aid. Much cheaper than custom hearing aids which seem to start at around $2000.

Perhaps there's something similar for your needs? Sound blocking earbuds/IEMs combined with a smartphone set to flat response might be able to do what you're looking for.

May 29, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #20,526 of 149,146
It's ridiculous that you have to bring earbuds to concerts to turn down the way too loud volume.
When do they start educating those sound guys to play at NORMAL levels.
It looks like a "who can play loudest" contest today. The quality of the music is totally overlooked.
No more live events for me until volume goes down at least 20%-30%.
The last concert I attended was The Isley Brothers in Amsterdam. Stayed 10 seconds after they started playing.
No refund, no understanding.
Now I enjoy my Schiit in stereo at 80 dB max and that's fine for me.

May 29, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #20,527 of 149,146

you need to lower your expectations as I doubt something like that can exist without highly customized product. anything occupying some space on or in the ear will alter acoustic properties(different resonance frequency of the ear canal, or it will block something). and a simple dampening with a filter wouldn't lower everything by the same amount. the stuff like etymotic proposes for music is a lot more stable than a basic plug and one of your best options IMO, but the response still changes in a very audible way. not much you can do about that. just consider that with music too loud you'd have a different frequency response anyway(equal loudness contour), maybe that can make the transition easier ^_^.

May 29, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #20,528 of 149,146
:triportsad: why?!?! I use deep insertion etymotic ER4XR's.....

Will I keel over?

No but you will:

1. Turn out deaf.
2. Build up a stupefying amount of earwax combined with other Schiit in your outer ear canal wich in time will reduce you hearing.
3. Have a chronic outer ear inflammation.
4. Be the first generation of guinea pigs we will try to cure from IEM related diseases up to and including some sorts of cancer.
5. Get mugged or overrun by a car, become socially inadequate and very lonely.

So nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #20,529 of 149,146
I have decided to make a maximum effort to attend the LA Audio Show and to bring every Diana Krall album in existence to slefty's room to listen to. Absolute silence will be required when I am listening. No stepping on Diana...

lehmann_s_poison_frog___dendrobates_lehmanni_by_colinhuttonphoto-d6u54fy.jpg

Me as "DEADTOAD" last Halloween. Pretty bitchin', huh?

May 29, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #20,530 of 149,146

As you must know.
There're lots of us who smoke, drink, engage in rubberless hanky panky, try reasoning with morons or drive fast motorbikes.
Even as doctors we need our share of stupidity.

May 29, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #20,531 of 149,146
I have decided to make a maximum effort to attend the LA Audio Show and to bring every Diana Krall album in existence to slefty's room to listen to. Absolute silence will be required when I am listening. No stepping on Diana...

lehmann_s_poison_frog___dendrobates_lehmanni_by_colinhuttonphoto-d6u54fy.jpg

Me as "DEADTOAD" last Halloween. Pretty bitchin', huh?

Oh.. I thought you are blonde.

May 29, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #20,535 of 149,146
Aha. Well good thing we can recognize you on muscle tone only.
Any news on the Maine Coon?
None. I visit the animal shelters on the week ends as I prefer to "rescue" a cat and reduce the population there rather than pay bigger money I do not have because I spent it foolishly on my self. :)

I may stop in a local one today as I have Memorial Day off here in the US of A. It is "Kitty Time" due to birth rates soaring this time of year. For some reason shelters seem to have trouble with black cats being adopted. I like 'em! Our last cat was a black Persian by the name of Ali Baba or Baba for short. A noble animal he was too.

I have no problem with an adult cat so long as it is used to dogs. Rocky comes first as he was here first.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back