Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 14, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #15,061 of 148,980
popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #15,064 of 148,980

No, no cryo just yet.

About $150 for a quad aren't so bad, a quad of Mike's favorite RCA red base will cost as much as a freya! 

I was about to hit purchase on a set (backorder of course) last night. After the "Christmas discount" it was going to be $697 after tax... I decided to see how the Freya tubes sound and go from there...

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #15,067 of 148,980
  Ok, fess up. Who here has pre-ordered 6SN7 Freya tubes?
popcorn.gif

Guilty as charged... :)

6SN7WGTA Sylvania USA brown base - quad matched - first tubes I ever bought 

No, no cryo just yet.

About $150 for a quad aren't so bad, a quad of Mike's favorite RCA red base will cost as much as a freya! 

Guilty.
A Pair of RCA 6SN7GT
A pair of GE 6SN7GTB

I was about to hit purchase on a set (backorder of course) last night. After the "Christmas discount" it was going to be $697 after tax... I decided to see how the Freya tubes sound and go from there...

yep - 2 pair based on recommendations over on the Saga and 6SN7 threads...

I cheaped out and went for a quad of Tung Sols. EH''s as a back up. I want to getz cozy with the Freya before spending any more.

Plus, the jump from Tung Sols to more exotic stuff is steep.

These posts are the reason why I took advantage of Schiit's 15 day policy and returned my Lyr 2, even though I loved it.

It sounded great with my 1975 Voskhod Grey Shields, but I don't want to wind up being dependent on increasingly expensive 50-60 year old consumable collectibles, not to mention the constant audio nervosa involved with "did I get the right set, does it sound as good as it could" eternal quest to find the right tubes.

I just did not want to have to deal with all that.

If the new tube industry ever takes off and starts building parts with comparable quality to the tubes from the golden era, I may take another look, but until that happens (which may be never) I'll be 100% solid state :p

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #15,068 of 148,980
These posts are the reason why I took advantage of Schiit's 15 day policy and returned my Lyr 2, even though I loved it.

It sounded great with my 1975 Voskhod Grey Shields, but I don't want to wind up being dependent on increasingly expensive 50-60 year old consumable collectibles, not to mention the constant audio nervosa involved with "did I get the right set, does it sound as good as it could" eternal quest to find the right tubes.

If the new tube industry ever takes off and starts building parts with comparable quality to the tubes from the golden era, I may take another look, but until that happens (which may be never) I'll be 100% solid state :p

Wow, that is far too black and white. The folks who over blow how expensive and high maintnance tubes are usually are usually makers of solid state gear.

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #15,069 of 148,980

I used to think as you do. Valhalla convinced me otherwise. Saga convinced me to worship Freya.

Hail Freya!

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #15,070 of 148,980
If Freya was voiced with new production tubes, it stands to reason that Freya could/will sound wonderful with the new production tubes and that substituting NOS tubes could just give you a different sound, not necessarily a better sound.

Some of the new tubes sound very nice indeed, but won't last nearly as long as favorite NOS tubes. That still needs to be worked on, but the new production tubes cost a lot less than most NOS 6SN7's too.

I probably shouldn't mention that with proper adapters, you can run 6CG7/6FQ7's as well.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #15,071 of 148,980

While waiting on Freya here is a portable Fulla Schiit stack. Hopefully there will be updates to USB Audio Player PRO because I first have to launch it with my DragonFly then Fulla 2. Once done with Fulla 2 engage DragonFly quit the program and reboot the phone for next time. Yikes!

Tubes are great. My Icon Audio uses 6SN7's and came with Robert Shaw CV181's so it will be fun to work those into the Freya mix.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #15,072 of 148,980
i've decided that at Starbucks I will only have tea, and not coffee until they start flying in the most glorious, freshly harvested
beans from the most fertile soil in the Congo, roast it to order, and serve it to me by nubile young nymphos who are into progressive
rock. Until then, I am sticking with Earl Grey. 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #15,073 of 148,980

Tube Life can be up to 5,000 hours some even more. If you are concerned about tubes going away ,Buy 10 sets of tube and if you listen 8 hours a day every day for around 17 years then you will run out. CHances are you will upgrade before then.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #15,074 of 148,980

While waiting on Freya here is a portable Fulla Schiit stack. Hopefully there will be updates to USB Audio Player PRO because I first have to launch it with my DragonFly then Fulla 2. Once done with Fulla 2 engage DragonFly quit the program and reboot the phone for next time. Yikes!

Tubes are great. My Icon Audio uses 6SN7's and came with Robert Shaw CV181's so it will be fun to work those into the Freya mix.

Seems to be simply plug and play with my S7 edge. plug into fulla 2, plug into phone, USB audio Player Pro launches automatically and initializes usb dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back