Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 1, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #6,706 of 7,049
Anyone compared Gungnir A2/Unison versus BF 2/64?

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #6,707 of 7,049
I prefer the BF2/64, then Yggdrasil LIM above that one.. obviously. If listening to more heavily processed/compressed music I prefer BF2 as it is more euphoric and less accurate. If it is any form of critical listening or I want to be wow'd.. Yggdrasil does the trick. Live music or anything with instruments is really good on the Yggdrasil. Gungnir has the benefit of a sort of wide sound to it that is rather nice, but can't compete with the B2 technical ability after the 64 upgrade. The A2 Gungnir has a sort of washed over sound IMO that is a bit aggressive after some time. The A1 is less dynamic but very tolerable and rather musical even. The A2 does sound good, so long as you can listen to it long term without issue. Unfortunately I am not one who can.

** As an update the A2 I had was the "bleached" version ** I do prefer the later 2000+mb revision Gungnir A2 for music **

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #6,708 of 7,049
I have had a staticy sound before that was noticeably affecting the noise floor in my system in the past but this is a bit of a different issue than that. I managed to get rid of that problem by switching around where some of my equipment was plugged in to avoid a ground loop.

That was a while ago though and I have since had to reroute some power cables again, but like I said just now it's not so much a static sound in the background issue, but more of a build up of actual electricity. Almost like there is some sort of extra electricity being sent in the signal to the left driver of my headphones that builds up to the point that I can perceive it.
Well if you think it’s electricity… I agree with the earlier post you really need to check your grounds
There’s a number of ways of doing this.
If you don’t have one of those three light testers I would purchase one first check your outlets
The your strips.
Then check for leakage on the casing of each componet
Especially where ever you plug your headphones into.
If you’re feeling actual electricity and you don’t have electrostatic headphones I would be worried.
I would be worried that you’re gonna ground yourself out and be the path to ground.
And you mentioning your rerouted your cords around I wonder if something became partially unplugged are you have a damaged cord.
If worse comes to worse than you have the money and you’re not sure how to do it maybe get a electrician to help you out.

Just my opinion I would refrain from using the equipment to get it figured out

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #6,709 of 7,049
I've been having this strange issue recently and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before. I am getting a sort of static electricity build-up happening in the left channel. I have tried swapping out headphones, swapping my amp, and swapping my pre-amp and no matter what I always end up feeling that static electricity build up.

It seems like it could be dangerous as it can actually leave me with a headache on the left part of my brain. I would try swapping my dac but I currently only have the Gungnir to perform that function. Could this have something to do with some piece inside the Gungir being damage?

I tended to leave the Gungir on most the time so it was always warmed up and ready to go when I wanted to listen to music. I don't know if this may have caused additional wear and tear that could lead to something breaking.

My chain is USB Gen 5 Gungnir -> balanced to RCA to Schiit Saga -> FirstWatt F5 -> Hifiman He-6
I've read others replies to your issue. Always great advice on Head-Fi! I had a thought though. Maybe it's the headphones themsleves? Or the wire to the headphones? Do you have another pair to test with?

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #6,712 of 7,049
I prefer the BF2/64, then Yggdrasil LIM above that one.. obviously. If listening to more heavily processed/compressed music I prefer BF2 as it is more euphoric and less accurate. If it is any form of critical listening or I want to be wow'd.. Yggdrasil does the trick. Live music or anything with instruments is really good on the Yggdrasil. Gungnir has the benefit of a sort of wide sound to it that is rather nice, but can't compete with the B2 technical ability after the 64 upgrade. The A2 Gungnir has a sort of washed over sound IMO that is a bit aggressive after some time. The A1 is less dynamic but very tolerable and rather musical even. The A2 does sound good, so long as you can listen to it long term without issue. Unfortunately I am not one who can.
The perfect sales pitch for BF 2/64 and Yggdrasil LIM. Schiit should have this post on their website. Of course, they might not sell any Gungnir if they did, but I don't think they care or need to. Damn, you make me want to have both, ha.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #6,714 of 7,049
Recestly got a Lyr+. Before that Gungnir MB was used with a Magni 3. Current headphones are HD800S. Obviously, headphones are the most noticeable upgrade. Went from HD598 to PS500e to HD800S. I got the Unison USB and VCXO. I like the way it sounds and will keep it. Don't really see the Yggdrassil+ much changed over Yggdrassil. I don't like the LiM and MiL, nor the NOS, nor the remote. And with the slow amount of upgrades coming in, I will be on Gungnir for a while.

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #6,715 of 7,049
I’ve been saving for Yggy since I got my Gen 2 usb Analog 1 Gumby. Never got there. Not going to get there.

Gumby works great for me. I had a difficult time system matching, but am on a great combo now. It’s taken a few years to get there.
I agree if you matched your system for this DAC.. you’re not gonna be able to simply plug-in a Yiggy and expect it to sound better.
Just my opinion I think a lot of people get caught up in the Schiit storm of new products… and don’t think things out rationally concerning their system.
I mean it’s just common sense if you have your system optimize for a certain sounding DAC… be prepared to do that with one that sounds different

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #6,716 of 7,049
I wish I knew which Schiit DAC has the most airy, sparkly treble. BF 2/64, Gungnir Multibit, or LIM? A different one?

Nov 14, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #6,718 of 7,049
I've been having this strange issue recently and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before. I am getting a sort of static electricity build-up happening in the left channel. I have tried swapping out headphones, swapping my amp, and swapping my pre-amp and no matter what I always end up feeling that static electricity build up.

It seems like it could be dangerous as it can actually leave me with a headache on the left part of my brain. I would try swapping my dac but I currently only have the Gungnir to perform that function. Could this have something to do with some piece inside the Gungir being damage?

I tended to leave the Gungir on most the time so it was always warmed up and ready to go when I wanted to listen to music. I don't know if this may have caused additional wear and tear that could lead to something breaking.

My chain is USB Gen 5 Gungnir -> balanced to RCA to Schiit Saga -> FirstWatt F5 -> Hifiman He-6

Could you have a failing tube in your Saga? That can cause static, channel imbalances, and distortion. Easy enough to check too, if you have a spare tube? Even pulling the currently installed tube, cleaning it's pins, and reinstalling it, could help. Tube pins can be touchy, about making good socket contact.

Also, leaving the Gumby on 24/7 won't hurt it. Better for it, electrically. Just risky, if you get some type of power surge.

Good luck.

Nov 17, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #6,719 of 7,049
I've owned a few Schiit DACs. Bifrost Uber, Modi Multibit, Modius, Gungnir delta sigma with USB1, later USB2, upgraded to A1 Multibit, and most recently Unison. In my opinion, I feel that a robust power supply also contributes to sound quality.
Do you mean improved power cable relating to Gumby A1? Because there’s no external power brick with it.

I’m going to look into upgrading the mains power wall socket (U.K.) but unsure whether worth it.

Nov 18, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #6,720 of 7,049
Do you mean improved power cable relating to Gumby A1? Because there’s no external power brick with it.

I’m going to look into upgrading the mains power wall socket (U.K.) but unsure whether worth it.
I was referring to the internal circuitry supplying power to the DAC, I think what happens in the analog realm is just as important as what happens in the digital realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back