Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 4, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #6,301 of 7,002
Update from returning defective gungnir Multibit Dac. Hum noise was clearly hearable but schiit is charging me restocking fee for returning defective item. No other explanation. What a bummer. I don’t why some people are praising about schiit customer service but based on my experience, their customer service is no better than their own company name.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #6,302 of 7,002
Update from returning defective gungnir Multibit Dac. Hum noise was clearly hearable but schiit is charging me restocking fee for returning defective item. No other explanation. What a bummer. I don’t why some people are praising about schiit customer service but based on my experience, their customer service is no better than their own company name.
It depends who handles your claim, I think. You could ask again and then if it comes to it, threaten to contact your credit card company.

Many years ago I had terrible channel imbalance in the pot in the original Valhalla 1. They also charged me a restocking fee. Since I also thought the amp mostly sounded like trash, I let it slide because I viewed it as an audition within their return policy.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #6,304 of 7,002
I don't think you'll have a problem with the tubes on top. Putting Gungnir on top might give you trouble.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #6,305 of 7,002
I'm #1! I'm #1!

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #6,307 of 7,002
Got my email today to send my gumby in for the Unison upgrade. That wasn't too bad of a wait. Better than I expected given it was purchased Aug. 26th.
Mine is on it's way in for both multi-bit and Unison. Might as well do both while it's there.

Sep 20, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #6,310 of 7,002
Hi, if I do a comparison with Bifrost, what is the major difference between them.
Recently, I just did a lot of research and try to find a used Gungnir Multibit on sale. But It seems Gungnir is really popular in such a field, it is hard to find another used one to show up in any way.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #6,312 of 7,002
Hi, if I do a comparison with Bifrost, what is the major difference between them.
Recently, I just did a lot of research and try to find a used Gungnir Multibit on sale. But It seems Gungnir is really popular in such a field, it is hard to find another used one to show up in any way.
I have a Gungnir delta-sigma and Bifrost I multi-bit. The short answer, to my ears, is the Gungnir has "more". The bass goes deeper and has more detail, though it may not be as high in volume. That may be due to Gungnir bass being shelved down in level a bit comparted to Bifrost, or it could be Bifrost has a mid-bass hump. Midrange is more present with Gungnir, and vocals have slightly but noticeably more presence and intelligibility. Gungnir highs are sweeter and smoother. In comparison Bifrost is a bit rough around the edges at the top of the range. I use both of these DACs in headphone systems and since I don't pay much attention to sound stage when I listen to head phones I won't comment about that.

A summary could be the Gungnir is more extended, smoother/ more refined sounding and has more detail retrieval than Bifrost. That said, I don't feel I miss anything when I listen to my Bifrost. To be honest I bought my Gungnir simply because I was curious. Bifrost is fun when listening to, especially, classic rock, which is supposed to have a bit of an edge to it. It also adds some bite to brass instruments. Whenever I switch systems, I'm back in my comfortable groove zone, ignoring the differences between the two DACs within one song.

My Gungnir is currently on its way to California to have some bits added. I will be able to comment about the difference between Gungnir and Bifrost multi-bit in time.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #6,313 of 7,002
A few times now my speaker left channel has gone out. Happens maybe 1/month or so. This time the l/c also had a hum.
Last night it happened and I power cycle the left monoblock. No change.
Power cycle Gungnir MB. Channel comes back.

Is that enough to indict the Gungnir? It's not new, I've had it a few years now.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #6,314 of 7,002
A few times now my speaker left channel has gone out. Happens maybe 1/month or so. This time the l/c also had a hum.
Last night it happened and I power cycle the left monoblock. No change.
Power cycle Gungnir MB. Channel comes back.

Is that enough to indict the Gungnir? It's not new, I've had it a few years now.
It's too bad the channel drop-out is so infrequent, from a trouble shooting perspective. I was going to suggest swapping your left-right interconnects and then cycling the power to your Gungnir if the right channel dropped out. Seems like a long time to live with funky sound, but that would go a long way to identifying your Gungnir as the problem.

Can you swap your Gungnir with another DAC in another system and see if the problem repeats itself?

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #6,315 of 7,002
I have a Gungnir delta-sigma and Bifrost I multi-bit. The short answer, to my ears, is the Gungnir has "more". The bass goes deeper and has more detail, though it may not be as high in volume. That may be due to Gungnir bass being shelved down in level a bit comparted to Bifrost, or it could be Bifrost has a mid-bass hump. Midrange is more present with Gungnir, and vocals have slightly but noticeably more presence and intelligibility. Gungnir highs are sweeter and smoother. In comparison Bifrost is a bit rough around the edges at the top of the range. I use both of these DACs in headphone systems and since I don't pay much attention to sound stage when I listen to head phones I won't comment about that.

A summary could be the Gungnir is more extended, smoother/ more refined sounding and has more detail retrieval than Bifrost. That said, I don't feel I miss anything when I listen to my Bifrost. To be honest I bought my Gungnir simply because I was curious. Bifrost is fun when listening to, especially, classic rock, which is supposed to have a bit of an edge to it. It also adds some bite to brass instruments. Whenever I switch systems, I'm back in my comfortable groove zone, ignoring the differences between the two DACs within one song.

My Gungnir is currently on its way to California to have some bits added. I will be able to comment about the difference between Gungnir and Bifrost multi-bit in time.
Thank you, macdonjh.

I get a lot from your experience. As you said, I might consider upgrading the system from Bifrost to Gungnir. For me, if the system can offer more details than the others, that means that's worth buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back