Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 29, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #6,286 of 7,049
Gungnir MB just arrived today and I am hearing slight hum noise from the dac itself. The hum noise is not loud that it will distract music listening but I can hear noise 3ft away from the dac in a quiet environment. Noise is presented when no cables are attached to the dac and with/without power conditioner. Honestly, it’s not a big deal at the moment but I am little worried that this will get worse eventually that it distract my music listing through headphones and speakers. Anyone had a same problem as me?
Definitely transformer hum. It may have broken loose as previously mentioned, or the resin covering the windings isn't sufficient. Contact Schiit CS. They are very good. I complained about some scratched on a volume knob and they sent me a new one.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #6,287 of 7,049
Definitely transformer hum. It may have broken loose as previously mentioned, or the resin covering the windings isn't sufficient. Contact Schiit CS. They are very good. I complained about some scratched on a volume knob and they sent me a new one.
Thanks. I don’t know if the hum is getting louder or I am getting sensitive but transformer hum is bothering me a lot when I am close to the dac. This is very disappointing for a $1300 Dac. I might just return this and get a different brand Dac.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #6,288 of 7,049
Thanks. I don’t know if the hum is getting louder or I am getting sensitive but transformer hum is bothering me a lot when I am close to the dac. This is very disappointing for a $1300 Dac. I might just return this and get a different brand Dac.
I wouldn't throw the towel in that quick bro. Let them fix it. You really need to give the gumby an honest go. It's that good! Schiit service is fantastic.

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #6,289 of 7,049
Likely shipping damage. It's not uncommon.

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #6,291 of 7,049
does anybody have a chance to compare the schiit gungnir vs gungnir multibit dac? i don't know how much for the non multibit version selling and what kind of dac is using for it?
There are several posts in this thread which discuss the multi-bit upgrade. Perhaps start reading backwards through the thread?

I think everyone who has changed from delta-sigma to multi-bit has been happy. At least I don't remember reading any posts by anyone who wanted his delta-sigma back.

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #6,292 of 7,049
There are several posts in this thread which discuss the multi-bit upgrade. Perhaps start reading backwards through the thread?

I think everyone who has changed from delta-sigma to multi-bit has been happy. At least I don't remember reading any posts by anyone who wanted his delta-sigma back.
THANKS FOR SHARING !

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #6,293 of 7,049
THANKS FOR SHARING !
No worries. For what it's worth, I dipped my toe in the outboard, multi-bit DAC world with a Bifrost I multi-bit. It transformed my head phone system compared to using the analog output from my DAPs.

Then I added a Gungnir delta-sigma and my sound got even better. Not huge, life changing differences, but changes which are inportant to us. Bass extends a bit deeper with more detail. Mids are still clear and articulate. Treble still sparkles with enough articulation to have bite when necessary without being harsh. At least, that's what I hear.

I am on the multi-bit list...

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #6,294 of 7,049
No worries. For what it's worth, I dipped my toe in the outboard, multi-bit DAC world with a Bifrost I multi-bit. It transformed my head phone system compared to using the analog output from my DAPs.

Then I added a Gungnir delta-sigma and my sound got even better. Not huge, life changing differences, but changes which are inportant to us. Bass extends a bit deeper with more detail. Mids are still clear and articulate. Treble still sparkles with enough articulation to have bite when necessary without being harsh. At least, that's what I hear.

I am o
Oops. I totally screwed this up lol.

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #6,295 of 7,049

I am on the multi-bit list...
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get your multi in.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #6,297 of 7,049
does anybody have a chance to compare the schiit gungnir vs gungnir multibit dac? i don't know how much for the non multibit version selling and what kind of dac is using for it?
D/S Schiit stuff is AKM-based, Gungnir D/S uses AKM 4399.

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #6,298 of 7,049
There has been lots of activity in the multi-bit backlog. I have jumped from 50 to 24...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back