Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 30, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #6,136 of 7,049
I noticed yesterday that my GMB's coax input is a bit wobbly.

How concerned should I be?
Depends on your interpretation of wobbly. I can move mine slightly with my fingers, but it's not like a limp string or anything.

May 1, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #6,137 of 7,049
Depends on your interpretation of wobbly. I can move mine slightly with my fingers, but it's not like a limp string or anything.
Wobbly to me means the side to side motion is maybe 1/8 inch or so.

May 1, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #6,138 of 7,049
Some amount of give is inevitable and desirable, as the alternative is breakage. My coax ports will move a little using just my fingers but only with a bit of force applied, but add some leverage in the form of a stiff digital cable, and they move pretty easily. But I would rather it move than break.

May 13, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #6,140 of 7,049
Several familiar "faces" here...

I just received a Gungnir DS yesterday. So recently I haven't even broken my ears in. However, my Bifrost I multi-bit makes me wonder what the differences are between the Gungnir DS and multi-bit? There are aspects of the DS I already like and would hate to lose, but there are things my multi-bit Bifrost does better and I wonder if it's part of the multi-bit "thing". So, if anyone who has gone from Gungnir DS to multi-bit (or the other way 'round) can relate the differences he or she has heard, I'd be appreciative to read about it.

Sorry if this has been covered. I've done some simple searches and skimmed quickly though this thread in particular, but didn't find what I was looking for. Not that it isn't out there.

May 18, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #6,141 of 7,049
Hey all,

Apologies for duplicating what I have already said on the MJ2 thread...though if anyone is considering selling Gumby A1 & MJ2 (both 230v version compatible with UK power supply) and is either located within the UK or EU, please PM me.

Thanks!

May 23, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #6,143 of 7,049
I've a Gumby and MJ2 on the way... Can't wait!
Congratz, this seemed like an incredibly rare combo in europe especially since the MJ is no longer produced.

About a year ago I also aimed for that Setup

May 23, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #6,144 of 7,049
It's great combination! I think the reason not many turn up is because people don't want to part with the. Mine certainly won't be going anywhere!

May 23, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #6,145 of 7,049
Congratz, this seemed like an incredibly rare combo in europe especially since the MJ is no longer produced.

About a year ago I also aimed for that Setup
Thx very much. I'm delighted with the purchase. It was more than my budget originally allowed, but I went for it and sealed the deal at a price both parties are happy with :)

This is my second chance at Gumby & MJ2 ownership. I'll be keeping them this time.

May 23, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #6,146 of 7,049
Several familiar "faces" here...

I just received a Gungnir DS yesterday. So recently I haven't even broken my ears in. However, my Bifrost I multi-bit makes me wonder what the differences are between the Gungnir DS and multi-bit? There are aspects of the DS I already like and would hate to lose, but there are things my multi-bit Bifrost does better and I wonder if it's part of the multi-bit "thing". So, if anyone who has gone from Gungnir DS to multi-bit (or the other way 'round) can relate the differences he or she has heard, I'd be appreciative to read about it.

Sorry if this has been covered. I've done some simple searches and skimmed quickly though this thread in particular, but didn't find what I was looking for. Not that it isn't out there.
Differences between DACs are quite subtle, but yet we talk about them in large terms.

To me, the mutlibit vs DS differences are (in favor of the multibit), less grain in the treble (for example, cymbals are slightly more life-like), a little more bass slam, the layering is a bit more complex. But these differences are subtle and you really have to train your ears to hear them. And quickly A/B'ing isn't the way to hear the differences. Listen to one DAC for a long period and then switch and listen to the other DAC for a long period.

May 24, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #6,147 of 7,049
Differences between DACs are quite subtle, but yet we talk about them in large terms.

To me, the mutlibit vs DS differences are (in favor of the multibit), less grain in the treble (for example, cymbals are slightly more life-like), a little more bass slam, the layering is a bit more complex. But these differences are subtle and you really have to train your ears to hear them. And quickly A/B'ing isn't the way to hear the differences. Listen to one DAC for a long period and then switch and listen to the other DAC for a long period.
Thanks for that @hodgjy. I understand we audio hobbyists are prone to hyperbole, so I understand the differences may be subtle. However, even the subtle differences may be important and immediately noticeable to somebody who's practiced hearing them and has a desire for a certain sound.

What you describe is partly what I would look for in the change from DS to MB.

May 24, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #6,149 of 7,049
Ime, the benefits of Schiit's MB dacs vs d/s dacs (if benefits they are; not all agree) are more apparent with speakers than with headphones.
I absolutely get that. If everyone like DS, there'd be no multi-bit, and vice versa.
Hmmm, I hadn't heard that perspective before.

May 24, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #6,150 of 7,049
I absolutely get that. If everyone like DS, there'd be no multi-bit, and vice versa.
Hmmm, I hadn't heard that perspective before.
For me, said benefits are mostly in the area of timbre/tonality and spatial relationships like staging, separation, and layering, and these characteristics (especially spatial info) are more audible with speakers. I am also pretty sure this is dependant on the rest of one's gear and factors individual to the listener. Ymmv and all that of course :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back