Schiit Gungnir DAC
Dec 16, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #5,506 of 7,049
So rumor on the forum has it ... same as the Yggy A2.
All new analog section, likely derived from the Yggy upgrade.
Available information on the web (including photos of the original and updated Gumby circuit boards) suggests that it is a very minor update involving replacing a small number of parts and associated small change in the circuit board. It is probably a routine running production update due to changing parts vendors, optimizing production process, etc. The update is certainly not a redesigned analog section as happened with Yggy A2.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #5,507 of 7,049
Well, even if my Gumby with the B serial isn’t an A2 board, I still think it sounds great with my Maggies. Also the Gen 5 USB is rock stable with my Mac mini. I’d have a hard time parting with it if someone told me there was an upgrade.

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #5,508 of 7,049
Well, even if my Gumby with the B serial isn’t an A2 board, I still think it sounds great with my Maggies. Also the Gen 5 USB is rock stable with my Mac mini. I’d have a hard time parting with it if someone told me there was an upgrade.

If Mike and Jason say it's an upgrade, send your unit it. You'll have no regrets.

Dec 17, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #5,509 of 7,049
If Mike and Jason say it's an upgrade, send your unit it. You'll have no regrets.
Yeah, I think I'm with @Dana Reed on this one. First of all, I use my Gumby-B G5 on a daily basis for hours and don't want it gone for a few weeks. And two, better doesn't always sounds "better" to me. I rather buy the next version new, compare both and then decide what to do.

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #5,511 of 7,049
The next upgrade opportunity may well be the proprietary Schiit Audio USB circuit - stay tuned, DAC fans :)
A little bird tells me it will be worth the wait.

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #5,512 of 7,049
Yeah, I think I'm with @Dana Reed on this one. First of all, I use my Gumby-B G5 on a daily basis for hours and don't want it gone for a few weeks. And two, better doesn't always sounds "better" to me. I rather buy the next version new, compare both and then decide what to do.

That's a good strategy, a number of folks did that with Yggy when the upgrade appeared.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #5,513 of 7,049
A little bird tells me it will be worth the wait.
As in ?

Woke up this morning, smile with the rising sun
Three little birds, pitched by my doorstep
Singing sweet songs (hey now), of melodies pure and true
Singing, this is my message to you...

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #5,514 of 7,049
I've received a brand new Schiit Gungnir yesterday and I noticed that the digital coax port has a lot of wiggle play. Theres no problems with the sound, but I was wondering if this could be a cause for concern. I've already contacted Schiit about it and am waiting for a reply. But I also wanna know if any of you have experienced this.

2s1ww6.gif

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #5,516 of 7,049
I've received a brand new Schiit Gungnir yesterday and I noticed that the digital coax port has a lot of wiggle play. Theres no problems with the sound, but I was wondering if this could be a cause for concern. I've already contacted Schiit about it and am waiting for a reply. But I also wanna know if any of you have experienced this.

Tighten it up.

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #5,518 of 7,049
Contact them first and get their guidance first as the connector may be hard-mounted on a PCBoard and will require return for repair.

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #5,519 of 7,049

No, not normal at all.

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #5,520 of 7,049
I do have some flex with mine as well but that looks a little extreme. I even tried it with a Canare connector which I believe is what you are using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back