Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 24, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,931 of 7,049

Which is why we have ABX tests -- to make sure we're actually hearing something, and not just "hearing" a placebo.

When Chord presents a paper at an AES conference in which they conducted a statistically significant double blind test of this theory, then we'll have extraordinary evidence to back up the extraordinary claims.  Until then, all we have is a pseudo-hypothesis.

That being said, I leave all my electronics on all the time, cause it can't hurt and I'm lazy.

Do you hold Schiit to a different standard? Should Schiit do a "paper at an AES conference in which they conducted a statistically significant double blind test of this theory" for their statement here?:

http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/yggdrasil_manual_1_1.pdf

We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance.
Seriously. No kidding.
Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing, and a serious recommendation.
Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they’re up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So, the logical solution (at a power cost of $50-100 per year, depending on where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear.

So what will you hear as Yggy warms up? Hell, we’re not going to speculate on what you hear...but we’re sure you’ll hear impressions from plenty of reviewers, and you can listen for yourself, and make your own decisions.

Sooooo...turn it on, leave it on, and see if you can’t hear a difference after it’s been on for a few days. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #3,932 of 7,049

Do you hold Schiit to a different standard? Should Schiit do a "paper at an AES conference in which they conducted a statistically significant double blind test of this theory" for their statement here?:

http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/yggdrasil_manual_1_1.pdf

Schiit is not making claims of audibility.  They say right there, "we're not going to speculate on what you hear."

They're not making extraordinary claims.

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,933 of 7,049

Schiit is not making claims of audibility.  They say right there, "we're not going to speculate on what you hear."

They're not making extraordinary claims.

Huh? It's quite clear Schiit believes there is audible differences. They just don't list the differences. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #3,934 of 7,049

It's clear Schiit believes there is audible differences or they would not make the recommendation. They just don't list the differences. 

Inferring what Schiit does or doesn't believe, but doesn't say publicly, is speculative guess work.

The point is that they didn't publicly make an extraordinary claim.  In fact, they explicitly wrote a disclaimer in the Yggy manual saying they don't know what you'll hear.

Schiit posts a lot of specs, but they're very careful about claims of audibility.  Jason has even made statements about their policy on that.

And, lastly, if they did make an extraordinary claim, yes, I would hold them to the same standard as Chord.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #3,935 of 7,049

Inferring what Schiit does or doesn't believe, but doesn't say publicly, is speculative guess work.

Huh? 

We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance.
Seriously. No kidding.
Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing, and a serious recommendation.

It's clear as a bell what they believe. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,936 of 7,049

Huh? 

It's clear as a bell what they believe. 

No, it's not.

One can say, "leave this device on because the components are biased to operate at a higher temperature and measure better when warmed up."

One can also say, "leave this device on because it sounds better when warmed up."

The statements are not the same.  And Schiit clearly demurred on the second statement *in writing*.

One can feel confident about the first one (after all, spec sheets have recommended operating temps for electronic components), but have significant ambiguity about the second one regarding audibility.

Regardless, if you want to believe something just because a DAC designer says it is true, that's your decision.

I'm more skeptical and require more proof.

To each their own.

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #3,938 of 7,049
What is a good inexpensive CD Transport to use with a Gumby?. I hear that some like the Cambridge CDC and Apollo-r cause clicking between tracks or when paused because they drop the digital signal.

What are you using for CDs into Gumby?

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3,939 of 7,049
What is a good inexpensive CD Transport to use with a Gumby?. I hear that some like the Cambridge CDC and Apollo-r cause clicking between tracks or when paused because they drop the digital signal.

Not used them myself but the OPPO players seem to be well reviewed. I personally have all my music on my PC then use an Asus Xonar Essences STX as an optical transport.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #3,941 of 7,049

I have Cambridge CX-C and Yggy and it's not doing anything like that, works really great!

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #3,942 of 7,049
Hello,

i have a question. i was asking myself if there is any possibility to hear the Gungnir MB before buying, like a loaning device for 1 or 2 weeks for like 30-35 euros or something.
i know this may sound stupid but i would like to hear the device first before deciding that i want to buy it in the future?

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #3,943 of 7,049
  Hello,

i have a question. i was asking myself if there is any possibility to hear the Gungnir MB before buying, like a loaning device for 1 or 2 weeks for like 30-35 euros or something.
i know this may sound stupid but i would like to hear the device first before deciding that i want to buy it in the future?

This is the policy for US customers:

What about this 15-day satisfaction guarantee?
Just contact us via this form within 15 days of receipt of your order and we’ll give you a return authorization. When we receive your product in its original box, with any accessories intact, in like-new condition, we’ll refund the full purchase price of your product or products, minus a 5%-15% restocking fee (noted on each product page.) Of course, shipping is not included in the refund—you will pay full shipping to and from your location. Orders returned with damage or in non-stock packaging may be assessed an additional fee for reconditioning

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #3,944 of 7,049
Hey Mr Rick,

thank you, but i live in Europe, but i will look up if Europe has something similar. Good to know, thanks.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3,945 of 7,049
  Hey Mr Rick,

thank you, but i live in Europe, but i will look up if Europe has something similar. Good to know, thanks.

For loaning the only option is to convince a dealer.
If you buy through internet order from within EU, you are entitled to refund (minus shipping expenses) without questions asked if you return it within 14 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back