1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Gungnir DAC

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by warriorant, Mar 29, 2012.
First

Back
384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393
395 396
Next

Last
  1. eee1111
    why does this guy have such a big following?

he is annoying

Wes S, ScubaMan2017, Byronb and 2 others like this.
  2. ScubaMan2017
    Hello Gungnir thread! ~394 pages to check out.

3. TK16
  4. m usicguy
    I have a gumby and a eitr. So usb input or eitr which means i can add a spidf cable. Which one do you think sounds better. Plus i can use a true 75ohm bnc connector? which sounds better??

musicguy.

5. rkw
    If your Gumby has the Gen 5 USB card, it is equivalent to an Eitr.

Wes S likes this.
  6. ScubaMan2017
    Nope. I have a ding dong fascination of upgrading my source (and improving my DAC). My current set up: (Chromebook) >>> (Android’s Foobar2000 OR Android VLC OR Google Play) >>> (EITR) >>> (Modi Multibit) >>> (Loki + Magni + Vali + Valhalla). My music files are ripped-discs. No vinyl. No cassette tapes.

I’m restricted to just headphone listening. I really curious about the Gungnir’s Adapti-clock (?!) processing. Will a Gungnir Multibit DAC have a different sound than my (EITR)-(ModiMB) combination? I have a big birthday coming up next year, so I can blow a wad on such a frivolous device (and perhaps a planar magnetic headphone and a high impedance headphone [Beyerdynamic 300-600Ohm for my Valhalla]).

My gut tells me I’ll get more satisfaction with different headphones and quality (i.e., hdtracks dot com) music files... than a Gungnir-MB. Dunno... :ksc75smile:

7. lagadu
    Yay, after getting a dud and getting it exchanged my gumby is here; looking forward to the evening!

8. Ichos
    This is an excellent match with your mjolnir 2!!!

lagadu likes this.
  9. RCBinTN
    My advice is a Gungnir MB being fed a steady diet of Redbook FLAC 16/44.1 music.
    I got the idea from Mike Moffat ... he's a genius :)

10. ScubaMan2017
    10-4, eh.

11. RCBinTN
    10-4, eh :)
    It just works. Then, get any headphone your amp will drive ... the path to audio bliss.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  12. SilverEars
    Now I believe that the multi-bit does go through changes over time. I just wonder how stable the DAC chip is if it's sensitive to being on awhile being a factor? I've definitely had times when it sounds more bright at certain point when it comes to sibilence and not even sure it was stable. I thought it was too much of a difference to my ears, and really made me question can one's ear condition change that much. Was there short power outage on those days? Or does change on certain conditions even if powered was on continuously?

I think the first time I've experience this when I first got my Gumby it sounded terribly bright and screechy and regretted my purchase, and oddly the this screechyness settled down after few hours. For the longest time I thought it was my ears burned-in, but I don't believe it's the case with the multi-bit.

I wish I can get more details on this to more assured what is going on. Like information about DAC chip, and some measurements done over time. Why arn't there somebody curious enough to do several measurements over time to see if the changes are reflected with measurements?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    kumar402 likes this.
  13. ScubaMan2017
    If I understand your musings, I think you're suggesting that these chipsets age with time. Does our multibit (GungnirMB & ModiMB) have some sort of resiliance that's better than non-MB. This is far beyond my understanding. Funny thing is... it was one of my reasons for picking up the Valhalla2. It's unappologetically analog with all kinds of components that heat up expand and contract.
    The vast majority of posts that I've seen on these threads maintain that unless the digital components fizzle out, they remain stable. I wonder, @SilverEars , if we'll be alive long enough to see how our 2010-2020era electrical components fare 40-50 years from now? Christ, maybe I'll be alive long enough to have my Magni & Valhalla "recapped"! :ksc75smile:

14. SilverEars
    I cannot say for all multi-bits (including non-schiit stuff). What I've been told was that Gumby and Yggdrasil need a period of time for the DAC chip to stabalize due to Schiit's choice in the choice of chip was to cut costs, and drive up the multibit owner's yearly electricity bill $50 - $100, since it must be left on, due to it's warm up period.

When I initially heard or read about this I thought it was some audiofoolry or superstitions for audiophiles to mess with them(lol).

Any reasonable people would not expect electronics to require a warm-up period to stabalize. I never had a DAC I expected to, so why should I?

The reasoning is the chip from what I read around. It's a military grade DAC chip for mechanical applications(correct me on this)? Not originally intended for sound signal DAC usage.

Based on my experience, there seems to be validility to all this. I've heard of weirdness to the sound in the early stages from turning on and there were days I recall it sounding less than ideal.

If people have more indepth knowledge, I like to hear about the scientific reasoning behind this (because I said so doesn't cut it). What's really going on. I understand this can happen, but there elecment of weirdness to it as well. Becaus I've not read a satifying reasong yet besides the usual 'it took me several days to stabalize,' etc. Because audiphiles are crazies, and they can exaggerate things. They can say it takes anywhere from couple days to 3 weeks to stabalize. The problem is, it's all based on sampling with their perception, and I know there are crazies out there (lol).

By the way, I don't necessarily mean age with time, but it takes time for the chip to stabalize it's sound output. I don't mean it like tubes that degrades over time.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  15. RCBinTN
    Where is this load of crap coming from? Been listening to the Topping trolls again?
    The MB DAC chips that Schiit uses are actually much more expensive than run-of-the mill DAC chips.
    Schiit MB doesn't use the built-in analogue section like most DAC chips have - Mike designed his own analogue section.
    That's the part of the DAC that needs thermal stability for consistent long-term sound.

I've owned a GMB/A2 for two years. After initial warm-up, it's been very stable WRT sound quality ever since.
    I do leave it turned "on" all the time, when not in use, which I recommend as does Mike Moffat.
    I wouldn't notice a $4-$8/month difference in my electric bill anyway ... mother nature moves it way more than that :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    EELawson, Raptor34 and ScubaMan2017 like this.
First

Back
384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393
395 396
Next

Last