Schiit Gungnir DAC

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by warriorant, Mar 29, 2012.
  1. Allanmarcus
    I measured my Gumby and the value bounces around, but never goes above 5mV, usually less.

2. Ableza
    0-20mV DC bias is considered very good. 20-50mV is typical, over 100mV can be a problem.

RCBinTN likes this.
  3. Don Quichotte
    Thanks everyone!

4. ColtMrFire
    I've been waiting for this day for a long, long time. Officially about to become a member of the Gumby club. Just bought a used one today, should be here in a few days.

Upgrading from Mimby, and I've heard it's an appreciable upgrade, so I'm excited. I have never heard Gumby, but I did demo Yggy a while back and was very impressed. Differences (compared to Mimby) seemed subtle at first and not that impressive an upgrade but the longer I listened the more all the hype made sense. That extra bit of everything was important to the overall musical experience. Gumby supposedly being 90% of Yggy should be worth it.

sheldaze, deserat, RCBinTN and 2 others like this.
  5. bmanone
    I look forward to hearing your impressions of your new Gumby.

6. Allanmarcus
    Hopefully you can compare easily, and without bias. I look forward to reading about your impressions. Neither my son nor I could hear the difference between a Bimby and a Gumby, and I was't able to hear a difference between a bimby and a mimby. My ears are old, but my 26 year old son’s aren’t. We we able to blind test between the two, and neither of us was able to consistently identify either DAC.

So, try hard not to be biased and don’t feel bad if you cannot hear a difference, but if you can, I look forward to reading your impressions.

Been a long time since we saw each other in Austin. Hope you are doing well!

7. eee1111

Were you using digital files on a computer?
    USB?

When I moved up from bifrost Uber to gungnir multibit there was a clear difference

But I’ve never compared a Gumby to a Yggdrasil Side by side

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. RCBinTN
    Congratulations. You will love it.
    The GMB will also enable balanced connections to your amplifier.
    If you use USB to feed the GMB, you might consider the Gen 5 USB or an Eitr.
    The Gen 5 made a nice improvement to my rig - it's very stable and the SQ is great.
    It beats the SQ of toslink feed from my Macbook Pro - even using an AQ Diamond cable.
    Cheers,
    RCB

9. ColtMrFire
    I use CDs/Coax. I stopped using computer audio after I heard the difference between the Mimby's USB and Coax, which was substantial. The Gumby I'm getting is Gen 2, but I may investigate Gen5/Eitr at some point down the line... right now I have a ton of CDs to re-explore. :)

RCBinTN likes this.
  10. ColtMrFire
    Yes, I'm still gracious you let me borrow the Beyer T1, though I didn't care for them ultimately. Hearing your Utopia was a highlight though!

I am dying to hear a Black Widow again, as I demoed one with Yggy last year. Amazing amp.

11. Allanmarcus
    What other type of computer files are there? :)
    Yes, lossless, often hi res, music from the computer over USB.

I'm on vacation now (in Hawaii, tough life), then travel for work for a week, but when I get back I will do some more serious listening and make a decision. If I keep the Bimby I will sell the Gumby, will upgrade the Bimby to Gen5, and have hundreds of dollars to spend on something else!

If you use coax there is no need for gen5 USB

Road trip to Santa Fe! I can e even put you up for a few nights in my son's old room.

RCBinTN and ColtMrFire like this.
  12. eee1111
    asking usb or coax

I just said that

I wanted to know if you were using usb or coax

CD player into the dac is still a digital file
    thats all I wanted

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  13. ColtMrFire
    I should've clarified that I might investigate Gen5/Eitr to get back into PC audio.

14. RCBinTN
    I remember Mike rating the SQ of various inputs to his DACs...
    1. AES
    2. Coax
    3. USB
    4. Optical
    I'm a bit foggy on 3&4, although with Gen 5 the USB will beat optical (personal experience).

15. Loquah
    I just installed a Gen5 in my Gumby. I'll be comparing my BNC setup to the G5 USB soon.

RCBinTN likes this.