Schiit Gaming Dac/Amps 'Hel', 'Hel 2', and 'Fulla 3' Thread
Dec 10, 2019 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33
UPDATE 4/7/2021: Schiit Hel 2 Review added after the original Hel and Fulla 3 review

I didn't see any main thread for either the Hel or Fulla 3 so I thought I'd make one starting with my review-ish impression on both, written in my typical review style. Don't expect much in the way of sonic characteristics or sound comparisons, which you'll understand when you read. Thanks for your time guys.

----------
----------

Schiit Gaming Dac/Amps 'Hel' and 'Fulla 3'

Hel: $189 as of Dec 2019
Fulla $99 as of Dec 2019

Where to buy: Hel at Schiit.com , Fulla 3 at Schiit.com

Full Review with many images posted HERE first.

Disclaimer: A special thanks to Schiit's Jason Stoddard for sending out the Hel and Fulla 3 for my impressions. He didn't even ask for a review, just wanted me to give him what I thought of them and any points of improvements, etc.

As I'm someone who doesn't feel comfortable with dac/amp reviews, this particular "review" will be a bit more freestyle, with a more relaxed, thoughts on paper approach to writing, as opposed to my typical review process of trying to make it as professional as I possibly can. I think it's better for it, as I don't feel right about trying to condense my thoughts into my common review style for headphones for amp/dacs. It's why you haven't seen any full on review of anything outside of the gaming dac/amps that were easier to write about due to the software features. As Schiit's dac/amps are more simplistic, without any software, it wouldn't work quite the same. This entry will not be as long as those reviews, but I'll do my best in trying to make it legible to a degree. Thanks for your understanding.

I also know those in my small corner of the audiophile community like and use virtual surround devices, which these are not. So these aren't aimed at them, and here I'm writing this 'review' for everyone else who doesn't need or use stuff like that, and just want the raw, untouched, stereo sound. Besides, the Fulla and Hel make excellent amp/dacs outside of gaming as well, so they may still be interested in these.

I've also decided on merging the Fulla 3 and Hel into one "Schiit Gaming DAC/Amps" review, mainly because they're both fresh products with similar uses, at different price levels. I didn't feel a need to separate them into smaller reviews, as I think it all flows together for me as just one review. Besides, I don't have elaborate testing being done in terms of their sound, measurements, or what have you. This will be a more 'casual' approach into these two products.

Intro

I'll be the first to admit, I'm an avid fan of Schiit. Now, by saying that you may think I'm biased towards them. I'll just tell you that in terms of amps, all I care about is them providing enough clean power for my headphones. I don't expect solid state amps to sound very different from one another as long as the headphones in question are supplied the power necessary for them to perform optimally.

Yes, I know they do sound different here or there, but the vast majority of a headphone's sound is the headphone, regardless of who makes the gear attached to it. In terms of DACs, well, I'm also happy just having one that provides a digital to analog conversion cleanly. So I'm not the best person in trying to convince me that $5000 dacs are better than $100 DACs that sounds good enough to my ears. Multibit, NOS, DSD, whatever. None of that matters TO ME. Like, for one example, at the time of owning the original Modi and the ODAC, I found the ODAC to sound superior. Like audibly so. That still didn't stop me from being a fan of Schiit.

So then why am I a fan of Schiit when I don't really care much about amps and dacs all that much? Things like their design sense, whether physical, mechanical, or simply aesthetics. They inject their own ideas to their products, and tend not to follow common industry standards. They stand out. I love that. Bandwagons are boring. Be unique. Be Schiit, not sh... you get it. I like their swagger. I like that they make me wanna know MORE about amps and dacs with their manner of speaking about them. They make learning about these things fun. So yes, I'm thankful for Schiit for making me just a little more knowledgeable about aspects of audio I don't pay as much attention to.

So while I'm a fan of Schiit, don't expect bias in terms of how these dac/amps stack up next to other dac/amps. I'm only looking at these products in a bubble for what they are and provide. Why not get other things outside of Schiit amp/dacs? Well, I have, but they tend to be gaming oriented. In terms of typical audiophile gear, I get Schiit gear because that's what I want. You want Topping, JDS, Monoprice, or whatever? Good for you. You want that, I want Schiit. I'm sure we'll both be happy.

Personally speaking, I have owned the original Modi, Magni, Vali, and Lyr. My current main setup utilizes the Modi 3 and Magni 3. So I'm no stranger to Schiit. I haven't ventured into their more exotic offerings, nor their multibit iterations. Perhaps someday. I've been very happy sticking to a well performing mini Schiit stack.

Even so, I (as well as plenty of others) have clamored for Schiit to make dac/amps all in one chassis. While they relented a while ago with some add-in cards for the Asgard, Lyr, and the like, the Fulla was their first true dac/amp design, followed by the Hel. Had the Hel been released a year earlier, that probably would've been my main gear over the Modi/Magni 3 stack. I love my stack, but I love the simplicity of dac/amps in one box even more.

So in comes the Fulla 3 and Hel. Both being the only Schiit devices with mic inputs, earning them legitimate 'gaming dac/amp' status, though they are true audiophile dac/amps beyond the scope of just gaming.

Before jumping in, let me quote some of the product specs for both devices

Fulla 3:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.5db
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 400mW RMS
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 250mW RMS
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 200mW RMS
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 40mW RMS
THD: <0.002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: <0.002%, CCIR
SNR: >105db, A-weighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: >-80dB, 20Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance (headphones): 0.5 ohms
Output Impedance (line out): 75 ohms
Input Impedance (rear 1/8" jack): 10k ohms
Gain: 1.7 (4.6db)
USB Receiver: C-Media CM6631A
DAC: AKM AK4490 with TI OPA1662-based filter stage

Sample Rates and Bit Depths: 16/44.1 to 24/192 supported without drivers on Windows 10, Mac, Linux, Android (UAC 2 device)

Output Stage: TI LMH6643 x 2 (1 per channel)

Power Supply: Via USB, with +/- 5V rails via high-current dual-polarity switching regulator, with inductor filtering and local regulation

Power Consumption: 0.8W typical
Size: 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.375” (including knob)
Weight: 9 oz

Hel

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.3db
Maximum Power, 16 Ohms: 1200mW RMS
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1000mW RMS
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 650mW RMS
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 200mW RMS
THD: <0.0015%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: <0.0015%, CCIR
SNR: >108db, A-weighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: >-80dB, 20Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance (headphones): 0.25 ohms
Output Impedance (line out): 75 ohms
Input Impedance (rear 1/8" jack): 10k ohms
Gain: 1 (0dB) or 5 (14dB)
USB Receiver: C-Media CM6631A
DAC: AKM AK4490 with TI OPA1662-based filter stage

Sample Rates and Bit Depths: 16/44.1 to 24/192 supported without drivers on Windows 10, Mac, Linux, Android (UAC 2 device)

Output Stage: TI OPA1688 (4 amp stages per channel)

Power Supply: Via USB, with +/- 12V rails via high-current dual-polarity switching regulator, with inductor filtering and local regulation

Power Consumption: 2.5W typical
Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.375” (including knob)
Weight: 13oz

Build

Schiit knows how to make some sexy looking gear. Their outer appearance is 100% Schiit, and hasn't strayed far from year 1 Schiit products. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, I'd say.

Fulla 3:

Its size is essentially a Modi or Magni chopped in half, slightly shorter in height, with a beefy volume pot attached to the top. It's a cute, tiny thing, with the volume knob being almost comically large relative to the body itself. The volume pot makes the one on the Magni look puny.

Starting at the front (left to right):

3.5mm mic input: replaces the Fulla 2's front facing analog input, (which now has been moved to the rear on the Fulla 3).

3.5mm headphone jack: This has replaced the 1/4" jack of the Fulla 2. This is one change I somewhat understand being made, but I still would've preferred a 1/4" jack. Most headsets are gonna have 3.5mm plugs, which I'm sure is why Schiit has made that change, but if you want to use a regular headphone which may have 1/4" plugs, you'll have to hope they have a 3.5mm underneath the 1/4" plug, or include a 3.5mm adapter, or you'll have to get one yourself. It's far less common than having a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter. 3.5mm jacks are also less reliable. In my opinion, just including a 1/4" adapter (like they do in the Hel) would've been far more ideal. Maybe for the next one, Schiit will go back to the 1/4" jack. 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters aren't great unless it's in cable form, which are more expensive than the questionable barrel adapters that add stress to 3.5mm ports.

The rear of the Fulla (left to right):

3.5mm variable out - apparently it has a marker for line level, but I don't see one. I'll update if/when I'm corrected.

3.5mm analog input - for when you want to use the Fulla just as an amplifier. Not sure I see many use cases for this, which is why I would've taken a digital toslink/optical input instead, if possible.

Micro USB port for power - Either for when you want to use the Fulla as an amplifier only, or if you don't want to draw power from whatever device the data USB input is connected to.

Micro USB port for data. You likely won't need to use the power only port, unless your data usb ports don't give the Fulla enough power, or using the Fulla only as an amplifier.

The top of the Fulla holds the previously mentioned volume knob, which is frankly quite awesome. It feels substantial, and an improvement over the meager little knob on the Magni and Vali. There is also some open slots up here for ventilation, as is the norm on all Schiit amps.

The sides are just for ventilation, while the bottom holds three rubber feet, which keeps the Fulla from sliding around while adjusting the volume, perhaps even better than the Magni, as the front facing knob on the Magni makes it a bit easy to push around while making volume adjustments. The Fulla's problem is that there is only one rubber foot on the rear, which makes it wobble a bit with minimal pressure. I think for the eventual Fulla 4, Schiit should place 4 feet on the bottom. It's a minor quibble, nothing truly necessary, but would be welcome.

In terms of weight and size, the Fulla 3 is light and super compact, making it a perfect companion for notebooks/laptops. For that alone, I would consider the Fulla 3 over virtually any other dac/amp for on the go purposes. You simply connect it via usb, and toss it in a bag when done. It is simplicity at its best. Function and form for the minimalist who mainly wants more than what a laptop can provide through its headphone jack.

One final thing worth noting is the lack of a power indicator. I would like to see at the very least an internal red LED similar to the one found on the Hel. Definitely internal, seen through the openings, and not the laser beam that was the front white led of doom from past Schiit products.

Hel:

The Hel is more or less the size of a Magni or Modi, just slightly shorter in height, with the inputs/outputs placed on the short sides as opposed to them being on the longer sides on the Magni/Modi. This means that the Hel will take up less horizontal space, but will need more clearance in the back in terms of depth.

Starting at the front (left to right):

Mic gain knob - allows you to manually adjust the mic output level. This is something many other gaming dac/amps tend to somehow miss. The inclusion here alone puts the Hel well above the others for me in terms of microphone practicality. I'll take a manual knob over software controls each and every time. Thank you, Schiit. Never get rid of this. In fact, maybe include it on more products. Fantastic.

3.5mm mic input - self explanatory. You can attach any mic here. This is ONLY for the mic, so if you have a headset with both audio and mic channels placed in one 3.5mm input, make sure to use the included audio/mic splitter.

USB/Analog Input switch - Select from the USB input or analog input.

Low/High Gain switch - choose between 1 (0db) or 5 (14db) gain. You should have plenty of volume travel with the right gain selected on most headphones.

1/4" (6.3mm) headphone jack - I don't think one can ever go wrong with a 1/4" input. Much better than 3.5mm, personally. If you have a headphone that only has 3.5mm plug, that's what the included adapter is for. You probably have a million 1/4" adapters laying about anyways.

Now on to the rear (left to right):

3.5mm analog input - For the times you want to use the HEL as an amp only device. Perhaps you have a Modi multibit or other dac, here you go. It goes without saying that the mic input won't work unless the Hel's dac is being used.

3.5mm variable out. Has volume control, but if you want to use the Hel as a dac only, set it to low gain, and raise volume all the way to the max. It will effectively become a line out this way.

Power micro USB input - This is necessary to power the Hel with the included 2.1a wall wart. Make sure it's this wall wart being used, as other wall warts (like the one supplied with the Modi) will not supply enough power to the Hel.

Data micro usb input - This one is necessary for dac use.

Final Build Quality Impressions:

As for points of improvements for both Hel and Fulla, I think it's about time to let micro USB die a long, gruesome death, and in its place, utilize the utterly superior type-C ports. I'm not just saying that because I have ruined countless micro USB cables and ports. Nope. That's not the reason. Ok, maybe it is. I hate micro USB anything, and can't wait for everyone to forget about it forever. Schiit, you guys are pioneers... please don't hold back your gear with these outdated ports. Do it for me. I'm also sad that the true line out was removed on the Fulla, and now you're forced to use the pre-out. I know real estate is at a premium with the Fulla, so I do understand this change. I'm just a little sad about it.

As for the Hel, I wish it was oriented like the Magni, where the inputs would be placed on the longer sides, like typical mini Schiit devices. The Hel is essentially a Magni rotated 90 degrees. It would've made it easier to stack with other mini Schiit gear, as well as technically have more space for rear inputs. I dunno how they'd change the actual internal circuitry to allow this, but I'm sure they can pull it off. I think even rotated sideways to sit like other mini Schiit, the volume knob and openings are placed just fine as is

The Fulla 3 and Hel are well designed overall. Asides from the changes I mentioned that I'd like to see for the next possible revisions, there really isn't anything wrong with the Fulla's build and design. Top notch product. Asides from personal wishes, the Hel is also very well built. The Red and black color scheme looks great as well.

Accessories

The Fulla 3 comes with a 3ft micro usb cable as its only accessory. The rubber feet are already mounted to the Fulla. Nothing really necessary in addition to the cable, though perhaps a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter as wall as a headset audio/mic splitter cable would've been great, though I understand why it wasn't included, as it'd add to the cost. You may need a longer USB cable depending on your setup, but most people likely have spare micro USB cables to begin with.

The Hel comes a bit better equipped. Two 3ft micro USB cables, a 2.1a wall wart for power, a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter, and a headset audio/mic splitter. All the essentials are covered.

Ease of Use

The Fulla 3 and Hel are wonderful products in that there is no software required, and in most current age setups don't require driver downloads. You simply plug it into your main device, and select it as your audio device. You should be good to go. If for some reason you're using something a bit older without UAC2 support, Schiit has a driver download page with instructions, by CLICKING HERE.

As gaming dac/amps, the Fulla and Hel are a bit more limited in comparison to something like the Creative G6 or X7 due to lack of typical features found on other devices like software, equalizers, presets, etc. That being said, there are reasons to go for the Schiit gear over more specialized gaming dac/amps, one being the much, much easier to use functionality. You really can't mess up the usability here, while stuff like the G6 and X7 can at times be hampered by its software and driver issues. With the Schiit gear, you plug them in, and they just work. No fiddling with drivers, software, and confusing options. What you see, is what you get. That to me, is perfect. Outside of my love for virtual surround processing options, I tend not to bother with all other features on those types of dac/amps. So if and when I'm not worried about virtual surround applications, I find the Fulla and Hel to be more ideal choices.

In terms of non-PC use, the analog input takes care of that for times when you need just an amplifier, though I believe as a gaming dac/amp, a digital toslink/spdif optical input would've greatly added to the Fulla and Hel's functionality where it counts, though perhaps there is size restraints that keep the Fulla from being able to have one. I'd happily give up the analog input on both for this, personally. I believe the Fulla is best used as a dac/amp, and should be bought for that reason as the entry level dac/amp of choice, and then upgrading to the next tier if necessary. As for the Hel, I'm sure something can be done to add an optical input in the future without sacrificing any input, which would allow the Hel to compete in the console space. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Going back to the volume knobs, I just find them so much better in practicality over front mounted knobs, for devices as small as these. You can essentially just rest your hands near the devices and adjust with your fingers, while front mounted knobs require a bit more effort. I dunno, I'm sure it's purely based on preference, but if Schiit placed volume knobs on top of all their mini solid state amps like the Magni, I'd be all over that. Yes, it means they'll have to sit on the top of whatever Schiit stack you have going on, but that's an easy choice to make. Even off center, I think a Magni with a top mounted knob on ther right side with ventilation on the left would be wonderful. Maybe for a Magni 4. The Hel and Fulla are already covered.

Both the Hel and Fulla have automatic switches when headphones are plugged in that mutes the rear outputs. While this is absolutely helpful and fine overall, I still think a manual switch would be better, if mainly because there may be some times when you use high gain for a headphone, and low gain on your speakers or other external devices. You may end up unplugging your headphones and find that your speakers are blaring way past your comfort level. I'm sure most people will exercise some caution and lower the volume before unplugging headphones. Just needed to bring that up.

Sound

As solid state amps, I don't expect to hear a drastic difference between the Hel and Fulla 3 in terms of sonic characteristics. As such, I don't wanna make things up and write them down in a section full of hyperbole. I will say that the Fulla 3 sounds a little more dry, and thinner than the Hel, if just a smidge. It has a sharper bite to sounds compared to the Hel which sounds slightly more balanced. They both sound great, and do what I need them to do: provide my headphones with a nice, clean sound. That's all I need of them, and they both pass with flying colors. I don't have the tools to A/B compare and do blind tests to be fully confident of these statements. Take that as you will. I told y'all dac/amps aren't my field. :p

Amplification

As is expected, the Hel can provide quite a bit more power than the Fulla 3. 4x the power, so if you don't feel confident in powering your headphones with the Fulla 3's level of power, perhaps it's best to play it safe and go up one tier higher to the Hel, which should absolutely have enough power for practically any headphone outside of truly demanding headphones. The Fulla 3 however, is no slouch and can provide power and volume to a large majority of headphones. Having what Schiit states is 10 times the power of a typical headphone jack from a phone or laptop device, you can rest assured that the Fulla makes for a great portable headphone powering device.

Personally speaking, I'd likely recommend the Fulla with most headphones known to work well out of most devices, and perhaps go for the Hel if you find yourself with headphones known to scale or demand more. If I was getting something like a K702 or DT880/600ohm, I'd probably go for the Hel instead,.if I had to choose between the two devices.

I think ideally, the Fulla is for on the go or secondary setups with easier to drive headphones, and the Hel in a main setup with big boy headphones. As I only have easier to drive headphones at the moment, I can only speculate, but I'm confident in this.

In terms of gain selection from my tests with the HE400 (as my hardest to drive headphone at the moment), having set windows volume to 30% (for testing purposes) and adjusting volume on the Fulla and Hel, the Fulla provided a nice loud volume at 100%, while the Hel would've needed to switch to high gain, as 100% on low gain was less volume than the Fulla. That being said, the moment I changed to high gain, the Hel had quite a lot more headroom over the Fulla, as is to be expected. The Fulla has just one gain setting at 1.7x (4.6db), while the Hel has low at 1x (0db), and high at 5x (14db).

I think as far as gaming dac/amps go, the Hel likely stands as the most powerful of all, likely only challenged by the Creative X7 (which I don't quite know the power specs for).

Microphone Input

I've never been very good with microphone recording or optimizations on PC. Hell, I can't even manage to get my Creative G6 to record at the moment. I planned to have three examples here, but I'll leave it at two. From my admittedly short testing, and lack of proper knowledge (I really just don't find myself using voice chat hardly ever), I found both the Fulla 3 and Hel's mic inputs to work exceedingly well for my purposes. I did find that the Fulla 3 was a lot more sensitive and could pick up my voice a lot more than the Hel, though I'm sure there's ways to mitigate that or have them perform on par in terms of vocal loudness. I do feel the Fulla may pick up external noises more than the Hel, but it may just be a clash of settings and optimizations again. Either way, here are the two mic tests, using Audacity with an Audeze Mobius with a V-moda BoomPro mic cable attached. I would simply just swap out the mic and set Audacity's default mic comunication to either the Hel or Fulla. Don't gauge performance here by how loud my voice is. That is user error, not a problem with either device.

Please excuse the heavy breathing. I've been in and out of perfect health the past few weeks, having lost my voice, and still recovering. I haven't been able to take a deep breath without coughing up a lung for a while now.

Warning: May be a bit loud, so lower your volume before listening.

Considering the physical mic gain on the Hel, I'd choose that every time, if voice chat is incredibly important to you. Nothing beats being able to adjust as simply as that.

Personal Recommendations

The Fulla makes a perfect on the go transportable dac/amp for laptops. Can't ever underestimate the simplicity of having a small device that merely connects via usb, and gets full functionality. If you care even a little about your audio quality on the go, I can't think of a better dac/amp device than the Fulla, not even the Hel. It's small, simple, cheap, effective, and doesn't require external power. Toss it in your bag, and go.

The Hel is technically a superior product, but it requires external power, so I don't see it as versatile as the Fulla. I definitely see it is a perfect device for a home or office however. Considering it also has a manual mic gain adjustability, I'd keep it around even if you have better amps or dacs. It makes life so much simpler if you ever use microphones or headsets.

(My unorthodox bedroom listening setup. As you can see, my PC is near my TV which acts as my monitor. My Magni/Modi/Hel is placed much closer to my seating position, which is further away than where the chair is placed in the image)

As for connectivity, they're both mainly centered around USB for their ideal uses, so I hope in the future Schiit adds optical digital inputs on both to truly expand the scope of devices they can be used with. I know I'm repeating myself, but I really want this functionality to be something Schiit looks as a priority for the next iterations, especially for devices aimed for gamers. Gamers use consoles, and consoles mainly get their best audio from HDMI and optical digital outputs. You can easily just send one optical out from the TV to the dac, and it'd cover everything connected to the TV via HDMI. It really simplifies things immensely.

Likes and Dislikes

Fulla 3 Likes:
  • Price
  • Size
  • Build
  • Top mounted volume knob (more of this, please)
  • Simple/Easy to use
  • Portability
  • Volume Gain
  • Mic input
  • Clean sound, no noise floor

Fulla 3 Dislikes:
  • Wobbly rear (needs spaced out rubber feet in the rear)
  • Limited connectivity (hoping for optical input in a future revision)
  • No 1/4" jack (preferred over 3.5mm. I think Fulla 2 had this right. Just include a 3.5mm adapter)

Hel Likes:
  • Build, Color
  • Good amount of power
  • Mic Gain knob (I'd be happy if more dac/amps had this)
  • Satisfying input and gain switches
  • 1/4" jack
  • Red power indicator inside chassis
  • Top mounted volume knob (more of this, please)
  • Simple/easy to use
  • Plenty of gain

Hel Dislikes:
  • Limited connectivity (hoping for optical input in a future revision)
  • Not really a dislike, but a wish for next Hel to be oriented more like a Magni, where it's stack friendly

Final Impressions

I remember a time when Schiit was vehemently against dacs and amplifiers sharing one body. Fast forward nearing the better part of a decade later, and we have Schiit releasing serious amplifiers with op-amps (something they were not about), and dac/amps in form of the Fulla, Hel, and even add-in dac cards for their bigger amplifiers. Schiit loves to stand out and do their own thing, but sometimes you can't avoid some trends due to their practicality and usability. They still stick to their design philosophies, but now can branch out and release things a bit more accommodating to others. I love that.

The Fulla is an easy sell. An affordable, excellent DAC/amp you can take anywhere which trumps anything you'd get out of a phone, tablet or computer's built in sound capabilities. This thing sells itself. Plenty for most available headphones or headsets that aren't known to require gobs of power. The type of headphones and headsets you'd likely be taking with you on the go to coffee shops, offices, or have in secondary setups. Really, the Fulla 3 is a banger of a product. Not much else to say. If you're getting into dac/amps, the Fulla 3 is an excellent starter and a bridge to Schiit's other offerings.

The Hel is an even more serious powerhouse of a product. More power, physical adjustment of microphone output, and easily capable as an all you need device, even in a main setup. I recommend the Hel over the Fulla for more serious audiophiles who are looking for a main dac/amp, one that is permanently fixed to your desk setup. The Fulla makes more sense to me as a secondary or portable device, as you only need to attach one cable, whereas the Hel demands power from the wall, making it a little less travel friendly.

For both devices, particularly the Hel, I believe once Schiit revises it and adds an optical input, it will be a serious contender as my most recommended dac/amp for unprocessed stereo gamers, as it will greatly expand its connectivity. Even us virtual surround users will be able to pipe audio digitally to the Hel. As always, I look forward to what Schiit has in store for us in the future.

----------
----------

Schiit Hel 2

Hel 2: $199 as of April 2021
Where to buy: Hel 2 at Schiit.com
Review first posted on my guide HERE.

Disclaimer: A special thanks to Schiit's Jason Stoddard for sending out the Hel 2 for my impressions. As always, whether products are sent to me or not, I do my best in being 100% honest with my views and opinions. If I don't like a product, I will refuse to write a review of it, or at the very least mention what I don't like about them, though I like to focus on products that people would like or at the very least are interested in. The only bias I have is to my readers. No one, Schiit, Jason, or otherwise, paid or asked me for anything other than for my honest impressions. That's it.

Here is an excerpt from my 2019 Fulla 3 and Hel review (edited for Hel 2 specificity), which still applies here:

"As I'm someone who doesn't feel comfortable with dac/amp reviews, this particular "review" will be a bit more freestyle, with a more relaxed, thoughts on paper approach to writing, as opposed to my typical review process of trying to make it as professional as I possibly can. I think it's better for it, as I don't feel right about trying to condense my thoughts into my common review style for headphones for amp/dacs. It's why you haven't seen any full on review of anything outside of the gaming dac/amps that were easier to write about due to the software features. As Schiit's dac/amps are more simplistic, without any software, it wouldn't work quite the same. This entry will not be as long as those reviews, but I'll do my best in trying to make it legible to a degree. Thanks for your understanding.

I also know those in my small corner of the audiophile community like and use virtual surround devices, which the Hel 2 is not. So this isn't aimed at them, and here I'm writing this 'review' for everyone else who doesn't need or use stuff like that, and just want the raw, untouched, stereo sound. Besides, the Hel 2 makes an excellent amp/dac outside of gaming as well, so they may still be interested in it."

The Hel 2 does have a few, but meaningful additions over the original Hel, which should absolutely appeal to a much larger crowd of gamers and audio enthusiasts alike.

Intro

It feels like I reviewed the original Schiit Hel only a few short months ago. That review was done on December 2019, barely reaching a year and a few months. Schiit's been quite busy, it seems. There were aspects of the Hel that I felt could have easily have been improved in its next iteration, and I'm happy to report that the Hel 2 has rectified nearly if not all of the original Hel's shortcomings. What we have now if a dac/amp that caters to a considerably larger demographic. While the original Hel was limited to mainly being most useful on PC, the Hel 2 has broadened its scope to reach consoles as well as Televisions as well. This is where the vast majority of gamers play, so this was the correct move by Schiit.

So what has changed, and is the Hel 2 worth it if you already own the original Hel? The answer to that depends on what it is you want from the Hel. If you're coming in fresh, the Hel 2 is an absolute and clear upgrade.

Build

(Note: A lot of what I write here will be what was already said of the original Hel, so I will be pasting a lot of what was said in that review, as it still holds true here. There will be additions and changes based for the Hel 2.)

The Hel 2 upon first inspection looks and feels exactly like the original Hel. In fact, unless I look at the rear where the inputs/outputs are, there is absolutely nothing to differentiate it from the original Hel. It is 100% identical. It is more or less the size of a Magni or Modi, just slightly shorter in height, with the inputs/outputs placed on the short sides as opposed to them being on the longer sides on the Magni/Modi. This means that the Hel 2 will take up less horizontal space, but will need more clearance in the back in terms of depth. It's not particularly big in any case, and should fit most desks.

Front (left to right):

Mic gain knob - allows you to manually adjust the mic output level. This is something many other gaming dac/amps tend to somehow miss. The inclusion here alone puts the Hel 2 well above the others for me in terms of microphone practicality. I'll take a manual knob over software controls each and every time. Thank you, Schiit. Never get rid of this. In fact, maybe include it on more products. Or may like as an add in board for the Asgard sized gear? I dunno how that'd work, but a man can dream.

3.5mm mic input - self explanatory. You can attach any mic here. This is ONLY for the mic, so if you have a headset with both audio and mic channels placed in one 3.5mm plug, make sure to use the included audio/mic splitter.

USB/Digital Input switch - Select from the USB input or Optical digital input. (note: Make sure the source that is outputting to the optical digital input is set to 2ch PCM/Stereo, not Dolby Digital/DTS, or anything past 2ch. For us gamers, any device that is outputting virtual surround will work, as virtual surround has already been converted to 2ch, like in a Creative G6 outputting SBX via the optical output.)

Low/High Gain switch - choose between low and high gain (not certain on db rating). You should have plenty of volume travel with the right gain selected on most headphones.

1/4" (6.3mm) headphone jack - I don't think one can ever go wrong with a 1/4" input. Much better than 3.5mm, personally. If you have a headphone that only has 3.5mm plug, that's what the included adapter is for. You probably have a million 1/4" adapters laying about anyways.

Rear (left to right):

This is where the Hel 2 differs from the original Hel on the outside.

3.5mm variable analog output - Has volume control, but if you want to use the Hel as a DAC only, set it to low gain, and raise volume all the way to the max. It will effectively become a line out this way.

Toslink/SPDIF/Optical digital input - Gone is the analog input of the original Hel, replaced with an optical input. I mean, if you're going to buy a small dac/amp of this nature, were you TRULY going to use the analog input? I find it doubtful, and apparently so did Schiit. I feel this is the correct choice. Much more digital input versatility, rather than having an amp only mode which very few people would use. Sure, using something like a Modius as a DAC to the Hel as the amp would be super silly and cool, but come on, let's be real. Most of us will use the Hel 2 as a dac first and foremost. My only gripe here is that they opted for a traditional optical input with the dreaded door that can and break under some stress (don't ask me how many of these inputs I have broken, I'll just say a lot). I would've preferred one without the door, or even better, a 3.5mm optical input. Much more durable, in my opinion. Ah well, not a huge deal, but something Schiit can note for the future. You've done away with ancient, horrible micro usb ports, you can also do away with fragile optical inputs with plastic door tabs.

Power Type C USB input - Hallelujah! There is a god. The horrible, technological curse that was Micro USB is almost entirely behind us! In its place, the Hel has gone with the miraculous, wonderful, reversible Type C input. It seems Schiit had some...issues during the transition, but let's all of us thank Schiit for stepping towards the new millennium, if a little late to the party. What matters is that they're finally here. This specific port is necessary to power the Hel 2 with the included 2.1a wall wart. Make sure it's this wall wart being used, as other wall warts may not supply enough power to the Hel 2.

Type C USB Data input - This one is necessary for USB DAC use. The Hel 2 will not draw any power from this input. On PC, the Hel can go up to 32bit/384khz. The original Hel capped out at 32bit/192khz.

Power Switch - Schiit uses some of the most satisfying switches for their power (as well as on source selection and gain settings). An audible clunk when switching up or down. The Hel 2 must be on for your source to pick it up as a device.

Top:

Apparently on the original review of the Hel, I forgot to mention anything about the top portion of the unit. Yikes. My bad. The only things to note on top are the large volume wheel and ventilation holes.

Ventilation - Allows you to peek inside the unit, and like the original Hel, has a nice red LED shining through when the unit is on. This is far, FAR superior to the front facing white LEDs that Schiit uses on their other dac and amps. Those things are obnoxiously bright. Schiit, red or amber LEDs for all your future products, please? No more white. Also internal LED placement like on the Hel 2 is just perfect. I do understand why there's a front facing LED on the bigger units that are stackable, but any way to keep from using front LED is a good thing.

Volume knob - This massive knob is actually bigger than the ones used on the Asgard sized devices. The top mounting makes it ideal for a smaller sized device like the Hel as well. It isn't particularly weighty feeling, but has a nice smooth travel, and a much better volume indicator than the nearly invisible dot on my Jotunheim 2. I had to put a sticker on my Jot 2's knob just so I can see where my volume was set. The biggest benefit of the Hel 2's knob over the original Hel is that I no longer get audible scratchy noise coming through my headphones. The original Hel would make an unpleasant fuzzy noise when adjusting volume, like so many other analog volume pots. Only an annoyance when adjusting volume, but an annoyance nevertheless. The Hel 2 is 100% dead silent. Perfect. This makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

Sides and Bottom:

The left and right sides in lined with circular holes for ventilation. You can also see inside. The main things to note on the bottom are the sticker with the unit number, as well as the 4 rubber feet. That's pretty much it.

Final Build Quality Impressions:

The Hel 2 is incredibly well designed overall. In terms of physical improvements that can be made for the Hel 2, there's not much I'd change here. The optical input could be changed to one without the plastic flap/door of doom, or even better, a 3.5mm optical input. I would've like to have a full sized rca output instead of a 3.5mm analog out, but I understand the limitation in space on the back. Otherwise, the Hel 2 feels like a solid chunk of metal. It's aesthetically pleasing with the red and black scheme, and has some heft to it. It certainly doesn't feel cheap. A thing I'm very happy with. Despite the gamer-centric color scheme, I think the Hel 2 would fit in with any type of decor. One of the better looking pieces of Schiit. Pardon the pun.

Accessories

The Hel comes with two 3ft type C USB cables, a 2.1a wall wart for power, a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter, and a headset audio/mic splitter (not pictured above). All the essentials are covered. Funnily enough, the unit sent to me had one Type C and one micro usb cable. I made sure to let Jason know so that this didn't happen with other retail units. Not a big deal as I already had spare type C cables laying about.

Ease of Use

The Hel 2 is a wonderful product in that there is no software required, and in most current age setups don't require driver downloads. You simply plug it into your main device, and select it as your audio device. You should be good to go. If for some reason you're using something a bit older without UAC2 support, Schiit has a driver download page with instructions, HERE (https://www.schiit.com/guides/gaming).

As a gaming dac/amp, the Hel is a bit more limited in comparison to something like the Creative G6 or X7 due to lack of typical features found on other devices like software, equalizers, presets, etc. That being said, there are reasons to go for the Hel 2 over the more specialized gaming dac/amps, one being the much, much easier to use functionality. You really can't mess up the usability here, while stuff like the G6 and X7 can at times be hampered by its software and driver issues. With the Hel 2, you plug it in, and it just works. Select it as the audio and/or mic device, and you're good to go. No fiddling with drivers, software, and confusing options. What you see, is what you get. That to me, is perfect. Outside of my love for virtual surround processing options, I tend not to bother with all other features on those types of dac/amps. So if and when I'm not worried about virtual surround applications, I find the Hel 2 to be a more ideal choice. Now that there are easily available virtual surround programs like Redscape and Waves NX, you don't even need an external device. The Hel 2 would work perfectly with those programs.

In terms of non-PC use, it's almost as if Schiit listened to me directly, as they did EXACTLY what I asked of them to do, on the original Hel review. Here's what I said (edited for specificity):

"...the analog input takes care of (the) times when you need just an amplifier, though I believe as a gaming dac/amp, a digital toslink/spdif optical input would've greatly added to the Hel's functionality where it counts."

and then,

"I'd happily give up the analog input on (the Hel) for this, personally. For the Hel, I'm sure something can be done to add an optical input in the future, which would allow the Hel to compete in the console space."

That is exactly what Schiit has done, allowing the Hel 2 to easily function for PC or PS5, as well as any device with an optical output, like a smart TV. You can plug everything to your TV through HDMI, and just have the TV send out a digital signal to the Hel 2. That would take care of multiple devices, even an Xbox Series X (sans the microphone function).

Going back to the volume knobs, I just find them so much better in practicality over front mounted knobs, for devices as small as the Hel 2. You can essentially just rest your hands near the unit and adjust with your fingers, while front mounted knobs require a bit more effort. I don't know, I'm sure it's purely based on preference, but if Schiit placed volume knobs on top of all their mini solid state amps like the Magni, I'd be all over that. Yes, it means they'll have to sit on the top of whatever Schiit stack you have going on, but that's an easy choice to make. Even off center, I think a Magni with a top mounted knob on the right side with ventilation on the left would be wonderful. Maybe for a Magni 4. The Hel and Fulla are already covered.

The Hel has automatic switches when headphones are plugged in that mutes the rear outputs. While this is absolutely helpful and fine overall, I still think a manual switch would be better, if mainly because there may be some times when you use high gain for a headphone, and low gain on your speakers or other external devices. You may end up unplugging your headphones and find that your speakers are blaring way past your comfort level. I'm sure most people will exercise some caution and lower the volume before unplugging headphones. Just needed to bring that up.

Connectivity
PC:

On Windows, all you have to do is plug it in, and select the Hel 2 as your output device (as well as input device for the Microphone), and that's it. You can go to the sound control panel in windows sound settings, right click on the Hel 2, click on Properties, go to the Advanced tab, and change the default format to anything between 16bit/44khz, and oversampling up to 32bit/384khz.

Optical Input:

As far as optical input goes, make sure whatever device you have connected to the Hel 2 is outputting 2ch PCM/Stereo. Not Dolby Digital or DTS, or more than 2ch. I said this earlier, but if you're sending a digital signal that has been converted to virtual surround (like Creative's SBX from the G6's optical out), the process of converting 7.1 down to 2ch was done before being sent to the Hel 2, so it's totally fine.

Keep in mind that many TV's or other devices may send Dolby Digital or DTS by default, so you MUST change, or you'll get unpleasant digital noise from the Hel 2.

Playstation 5:

You simply plug the Hel 2's data usb port to any of the PS5's usb ports. I recommend using one of the rear usb ports on the PS5. The Type C input in front was dropping the signal every few seconds. Had zero issues on the rear ports. Not an issue with the Hel, but the PS5. Once connected, go to the sound settings.

The PS5 will also read the Hel 2 as a microphone device.

Nintendo Switch:

I no longer have a Nintendo Switch, but I was able to get it work through a USB dongle, and I'm sure the Switch would also pick up the Hel 2 when connected to the USB port. If I get a chance to update with an image in the future, I will.

Xbox:

Unfortunately, Microsoft uses proprietary codecs, which the Hel 2 doesn't support. Schiit would have to specifically pay for the license and make an Xbox only version of the Hel 2, which is probably not the best use of Schiit's time and money. At the very least, you can still rely on getting main audio from a TV which the Xbox console would likely be hooked up to. You won't won't be able to utilize the Hel 2 for voice chat through an Xbox.

Amplification

Schiit has stated that the Hel 2 has received a 20% power increase over the original Hel, but that the rating is somewhat conservative and may hit closer to 50%. Considering the original Hel already had a pretty good amount of power for most headphones, this can only be seen as fantastic news, which will allow for even more headroom, and open up the possibility of driving a few more headphones.

I have no doubt you can drive even 600ohm headphones to ear shattering levels, though that doesn't account for synergy and quality of driving such a load. Still, I personally feel fine using the Hel 2 for any headphone I could think of except some harder to drive planars like the HE-4, HE6SE, and 600ohm Beyerdynamics.

Amusingly, with the units I have on hand, the original Hel has a slightly higher volume output relative to the Hel 2 at the same volume knob position. I'm sure it's an external factor, and not indicative of anything.

Microphone

Below is a few tests being done comparing the Schiit Hel 2's mic input vs the original Hel, Creative G6, and Razer Blackshark V2's included USB dongle. As you will hear, they all sound great, so you shouldn't have any issues with microphones on the Hel 2.

These recordings were done through Audacity, and without any enhancements. No noise suppression, no voice morphs, nothing but raw mic input performance. The volume may be a bit low, as I had to compensate for the lowest volume output, and didn't realize I could raise mic volume through windows until after. So I apologize in advance if volume is low for you. Try to disregard the low volume output, and focus more on the quality of the mic recordings themselves. I tried my best to have them all at a similar volume range so as not to destroy your ears with wild fluctuations in volume.

All tests were done on the same day, same conditions, back to back, one after another.

Hel 2^

Hel 1^

Creative G6^

Blackshark V2 usb dongle^

Sound

Outside of the instance where I found a noticeable difference between the original Modi and the Objective DAC (ODAC), I have never been someone to truly hear a meaningful difference out of all the DACs I have owned (this is why I tend to decline or stay away from doing DAC reviews). This does not change with the Hel 2. I don't have a reliable way to do quick and blind comparisons, so all I can say is that subjectively, the DAC sounds like I expect a good DAC to sound like, which is a silent noise floor, super clean, and without artifacting or errors due to the digital to analog conversion.

On the amplification side, as the Hel 2 is a solid state amp, I also don't expect to hear a drastic difference between the Hel 2 and the original Hel in terms of sonic characteristics. As such, I don't wanna make things up and write them down in a section full of hyperbole. I never had a problem with the original Hel's sound, and I certainly don't have a problem here.

I'm not one of those people that buys amps wanting them to impart anything to the sound (at least not solid state amps). I mainly just want an amp to do what is required, and that is to provide sufficient, clean power to the headphones attached to them. The Hel 2 has lower distortion and more power than the Hel. That is an easy win, as far as I'm concerned. If you want some majestic difference, consider a tube amp where you can somewhat tailor the sound to your liking. Even next to the Jotunheim 2 (which has more tactility, impact, and control, though the difference is still subtle), I don't feel like I'm missing anything (within reason) by using the Hel 2's amplifier with properly powered headphones.

If you want some hyperbolic statements on how this sounds smoother, richer, more precise, faster, more detailed, incisive, more open, or whatever buzzword you'd like to hear as it pertains to an amp or DAC you WON'T find it here. The Hel 2 as either a DAC to another amplifier or as a standalone DAC/AMP sounds great. Plain and simple.

Personal Recommendations

If you have $200, (and in terms of Schiit products), you have a choice between a Hel 2, or a current gen Modi and Magni, or a Fulla for half the price. My recommendation lies purely on your exact needs. The Hel 2's major benefit over the Modi/Magni stack is the ability to use it with the Playstation 5 directly. Yes, you can use the Modi with the PS5 via HDMI to a TV and then optical out from the TV to the Modi, but you lose the Tempest 3D audio capabilities of the PS5 (which I feel is absolutely essential, and a fantastic addition to virtual surround processing technology).

The other large benefit over the mini stack is the analog microphone input. The Hel 2 will read as an audio device where both main audio and microphone capabilities will work at the same time. You can't do this with a Modi. Sure you can hear main audio, but you'll have to rely on either using the controller input for the mic (which is actually more of a hassle to set up, or use another microphone device). All I'll say is that you will definitely want the Hel 2 over the mini stack if voice chat is of any importance to you, period.

The final benefit the Hel 2 has over the mini stack is that it's an all in one unit. Much easier to lug around, and less cables required as well.

I definitely see the Hel 2 as a perfect device for home or office use. Considering it also has a manual mic gain adjustability, I'd keep it around even if you have better amps or dacs. It makes life so much simpler if you ever use microphones or headsets.

I currently have a Modius as my main DAC and a Jotunheim 2 as my main amplifier at home. I'd still keep a Hel below my monitor, which I would use to plug in my headsets when needed. It's convenience in a small package. Then when I'm not voice chatting, I'll go back to my Modius/Jotunheim with my normal headphones. Sure, it's overkill, but for someone like me, I find the Hel 2 being more essential compared to the much bigger Modius/Jotunheim 2 stack. Maybe a Helius in the future, Schiit? A bigger amp/dac with a mic input. Hmm...the possibilities.

I'd recommend the Modi/Magni over the Hel 2 if you have no use for the microphone input, or if you don't plan on playing on a PS5, particularly with Tempest 3D Audio. You can still use the Modi/Magni connected to a TV. They just won't be natively supported on the PS5.

If you mainly want something for a laptop and need it to be completely portable, I think going with the Schiit Fulla wouldn't be a bad idea over the Hel 2, though only if you don't plan on using harder to drive headphones. The Fulla packs plenty of power for many headphones, just don't go trying to press your luck. The Fulla has the benefit of only needing one cable to a laptop, while the Hel needs a separate power adapter. It also has a mic input, though mic gain will have to be adjusted by your source.

Likes and Dislikes

• Mic gain knob
  • Type C Inputs and physical switches
  • Red power indicator inside chassis
  • Top mounted volume knob, no scratchy noise on headphone when adjusting volume
  • Simple/easy to use
  • UAC1/UAC2 auto switching, meaning PS5 support
  • Optical input, meaning much more device options (like Televisions) compared to original Hel

Dislikes:
  • Unlike the Fulla, still requires external power

Final Impressions

Schiit has done it again. The Hel 2 is a dramatic improvement over the original Hel, and absolutely worth the upgrade. This can even go so far as being the only dac/amp you'd realistically ever need for most headphones.

When I reviewed the original Hel, I said:

"I believe once Schiit revises (the Hel) and adds an optical input, it will be a serious contender as my most recommended dac/amp for unprocessed stereo gamers, as it will greatly expand its connectivity. Even us virtual surround users will be able to pipe audio digitally to the Hel."

Well, that time is now. The Hel 2 has addressed exactly what I felt was lacking in the original, and went a few steps further. The Hel 2 has more power, less distortion, more versatility and is reasonably all you'd ever need as an all in one desktop audio solution. Sure, it's not 'feature-rich'. You won't find accompanying software that hosts an equalizer, chat options, or sound presets. No. It eschews all that to give you the basics. Plug it in, and you get excellent sound for your PC, console, and other devices like televisions. No fiddling with software, no confusing options, nothing to detract from the simplicity of it all. Everything that'd you'd need to adjust is on the unit itself. Nothing more, nothing less. That's it, and that's perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 33
Do any other DAC/Amp combos besides the Hel and Fulla have convenient microphone ins on the front? The only other one I could find was the Mayflower ARC MK2.

I'm glad this is becoming a trend, I like to be able to completely disable my motherboard's integrated sound card in the BIOS have one less bloated audio software driver app.

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 33
There are gaming ones like the Creative G6, but the mic controls are digital, which I don't like as much as analog controls.

Apr 19, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 33
Thanks for the nice review! I picked up one of these for a work from home setup. It drives my LCD-2s like nobody's business, and should do even better with the LCD-XCs I have on order (so my new officemate doesn't have to hear my open headphones, as we share the dining room table as our home "office")

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 33
With the all the Skype sessions I'm going to be doing thru my work PC, which is also happens to be my gaming laptop (not at the same time), as well as the fact I run Roon thru my iPad endpoint, it made me wonder if I could use the Hel as a headset for phone calls thru my iPhone SE (old model). I ran a few trials, unsuccessfully, but it seems like there should be a way to do it, but I've not seen such use referenced anywhere. Feel free to point out the obvious since that's usually what I miss.

As for the Hel for my headphones I think it's excellent. This is my fourth piece of Schiit, 3 of which are amps. Although the Lyr 2 seems a bit smoother, due to the tubes no doubt, the Hel seems to actually have more bass punch. Not overdone, just faster and ultimately harder. It's extremely clean especially for fast classical piano pieces. The other other amp was the Fulla 2 which certainly did everything I needed for a really good price. Cans I'm using are Sennheiser 650, Beyerdynamic T1 version 1, and Beyerdynamic 1770s. No complaints with any of them at all. YMMV
Cheers.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 33
Will Hel be good option to pair with ATH-MSR7b. Or should I go for Mayflower ARC Mk2.
It should provide pleeeeenty of clean power and headroom. You're good to go there. In fact I think the Fulla would likely have more tyhan enough as well. Those aren't particularly hard headphones to drive. I'd say try thy the Fulla. The simplicity of it has a certain appeal over the Hel.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 33
It should provide pleeeeenty of clean power and headroom. You're good to go there. In fact I think the Fulla would likely have more tyhan enough as well. Those aren't particularly hard headphones to drive. I'd say try thy the Fulla. The simplicity of it has a certain appeal over the Hel.
Yes but is the audio profile same for Fulla and Hel or is Fulla flat like ARC with but no Bass boost. Yes those headphones are easy to drive have flat profile and good bass presence but with less power and punch(which is not that bad) but would like to have a DAC which can give that little pump at low end make it sound bit more punchy without loosing quality.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 33
If you're looking for an amp/dac that adds low end, you're better off just using EQ or buying an amp with bass boost. You're not going to get those kinds of gains with solid state amplifiers in general. Their job isn't to color the sound in such a way.

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 33
If you're looking for an amp/dac that adds low end, you're better off just using EQ or buying an amp with bass boost. You're not going to get those kinds of gains with solid state amplifiers in general. Their job isn't to color the sound in such a way.
Yeah we can use equalizer but if I could get bit of warmth at low through DAC that would solve the issue of setting EQ on multiple devices. But well no issues there. But yes I have heard that Magni+Modi stack are usually on bit warmer side and not straight out flat. And going through reviews on how Hel is similar to Magni+Modi but have not heard of anything about Fulla 3(or Fulla in general). I just want to know if they are similar to Hel minus high powered AMP. But have also head that AMP is what effects how the sound profile ends up being(correct me if I am wrong).

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #13 of 33
After several weeks of using the Schiit Hel, I can report there is a severe issue with my right channel being EXTREMELY scratchy upon turning the knob. The sound of the scratchiness lingers for a few seconds. A temporary fix I found was to rotate the pot fully for about 30 minutes, in which the scratchiness goes down by 90% for about a week. After that, it slowly returns to that horrible state. Pretty disappointing for a $190 Amp/DAC

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 33
After several weeks of using the Schiit Hel, I can report there is a severe issue with my right channel being EXTREMELY scratchy upon turning the knob. The sound of the scratchiness lingers for a few seconds. A temporary fix I found was to rotate the pot fully for about 30 minutes, in which the scratchiness goes down by 90% for about a week. After that, it slowly returns to that horrible state. Pretty disappointing for a $190 Amp/DAC
Can confirm this same behavior on mine. I’m wondering if it’s because I have left it on 24/7 in that volume position where the scratchiness is
Have considered taking apart to put some deoxit in the pot, but haven’t done yet. Also haven’t contacted schiit directly about it, but that’s probably a better first plan than taking it apart, since it’s under warranty.

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 33
Scratchiness is a part of many, many amps with analog potentiometers. It comes with the territory. What I do is first turn on an amp then rotate the volume wheel back and forth for like 10 seconds to massively reduce the scratching.

If you want 0 noise when adjusting volume, you're gonna need an amp/dac with digitally controlled volume wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back