Schiit Fulla or Magni2(For now) - AKG K7XX
Jun 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

silver8ack

100+ Head-Fier
First, yea I know the Fulla is a dac/amp combo and the magni is an amp.

I've been going through headphones and amps like crazy as I've recently entered this sick world of head-fi. After much deliberation I've settled on keeping my AKG K7XX headphones. Of the headphones I've had I find the k7xx to be the most versatile although I mostly listen to to rock/metal. However, I do wish the k7xx had a stonger treble presence.

That being said, Now I need to settle on an dac or amp or both. Right now I have about $100-$130 to spend. I was leaning towards the Magni because it does brighten the sound a bit(friend has one) and I think I like the pairing with the k7xx. Of course I could always add a dac later. But to be honest, I like the sound signature from my MacBook Pro and iOS devices.

But then there's the Fulla. Could the DAC in there potentially improve my sonic enjoyment over JUST the magni? Also, can anyone comment on the sound signature of the Fulla compared to the magni? Is it darker/brighter, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 9
First, yea I know the Fulla is a dac/amp combo and the Magni is an amp.
I've been going through headphones and amps like crazy as I've recently entered this sick world of Head-fi. After much deliberation I've settled on keeping my AKG K7XX headphones. Of the headphones I've had I find the k7xx to be the most versatile although I mostly listen to to rock/metal. However, I do wish the k7xx had a stronger treble presence.
That being said, Now I need to settle on an dac or amp or both. Right now I have about $100-$130 to spend. I was leaning towards the Magni because it does brighten the sound a bit(friend has one) and I think I like the pairing with the k7xx. Of course I could always add a DAC later. But to be honest, I like the sound signature from my Macbook Pro and iOS devices.
But then there's the Fulla. Could the DAC in there potentially improve my sonic enjoyment over JUST the Magni? Also, can anyone comment on the sound signature of the Fulla compared to the Magni? Is it darker/brighter, etc.

I would say to get the Magni 2, for now.
You can always add a DAC in the future and I would think the Magni 2 would help bring out the best in the K7XX.

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 9
A little update...

I've been able to test a Schiit Fulla and a Magni 2.

Music is lossless 16/44 or 24/48.  Playing from my macbook pro late 2014.

Setups are:
  MBP -> Fulla(USB) -> AKG K7XX
  MBP -> Magni 2(3.5mm to RCA cable from headphone jack) -> AKG K7XX

Bottom line... the Fulla sounds better.  And has plenty of power to spare.  I don't even have to dial up past about 40% to reach my max listening volumes.

So here is my conundrum... Would there be a noticeable increase in performance using the Magni 2 with another dedicated DAC(Modi, or HiFiMeDIY, some other cheap dac) vs the Fulla?  I read the Modi uses the same DAC chip as the Fulla.  I can't pony up for the Modi/Magni stack right now, and I'm not sure it's worth it.(I suppose they wouldn't sell it if it weren't...but they are trying to make money here).

I'm quite surprised at the difference I hear in the Fulla.  It's not too crazy or anything, but a definite improvement.  Soundstage feel less compressed.  Treble(Cymbals, etc) are more open/airy.  Bass is tighter, less boomy/muddy in the mid bass region.  Bass texture is better(clarity).  

I hate hearing better things.  I think I was happier with my ear buds... JK!

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 9
I used to own the Magni 2 Uber, Modi 2, and Fulla. Did not even realize they sounded different. XD

Edit: Whoa, I just remembered that we talked in the past in various threads!

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 9
  I used to own the Magni 2 Uber, Modi 2, and Fulla. Did not even realize they sounded different. XD

Edit: Whoa, I just remembered that we talked in the past in various threads!

Haha,... yea we did.

I think the differences I'm hearing is that the Fulla is it's own DAC.  Whereas if I use the Magni2... I'm using the DAC/AMP in the macbook and feeding the Magni2.  

Previously I was always happy with the DAC sound from my macbook.  But now that I've heard the Fulla, I think it sounds better.  Ugh.  

I guess I could just stick with the Fulla.  But I'm just afraid of missing out, and especially future considerations.  If I keep the Magni2, and eventually get a DAC... I'm just wondering if I'd be better off with that, or if the Fulla really is enough for me.  I mean... if I like the sound sig, and it's driving the headphones without issue.... is there really more to be had with another DAC/AMP setup? ahhhhhhh

I keep reading that the K7XX are current hungry, etc,etc... but I don't fully understand that.  That being said, the Magni 2 can pump out a lot more current than the Fulla.... so in the end, maybe I should just keep the Magni2 and get a dac.  blah.

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 9
You realize you can use the Fulla as a DAC for the Magni 2, right?
biggrin.gif

But really, you may just need the Fulla. I listened to many headphones with and without the more expensive Schiit stack in my system, and most of them sounded the same directly from my laptop. So I guess that depends on how good your laptop is.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 9
  I thought about it... but I was afraid of blowing something up....
off to try that setup :p

The Fulla seems to be doing the job, so I say just use the Fulla.
Guess the guys at Schiit know what their doing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back