Schiit Fulla 2 or Magni 3 only ?
Jul 6, 2018 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BackBoneCrusher

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I wanted to buy my first DAC/Amp but I realised something : Can I use only a Magni 3 or should I prefer a true DAC/Amp combo ?

Here's my dilemma : I want something to put in my actual headphone and my futur IEMs, my budget isn't too big so I cannot afford myself a Audio-GD 11.28 or something high-end, but in the futur I intend to buy the HD6XX, I know that the amp in the Fulla 2 isn't powerful enough to drive them, so I planned to buy the Magni 3 in the futur.

But should I take the Magni 3 and plug it directly my mobo's rear jack port and use the a-bit-maybe-crappy internal DAC and maybe in the futur take a better DAC (Topping D10, Modi 2 etc.) or should I take something with both a DAC/Amp (Fulla 2) and reuse it in the futur with a better Amp ?

PS : My motherboard is an old LGA1366 Asus P6T

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 12
Here's my dilemma : I want something to put in my actual headphone and my futur IEMs, my budget isn't too big so I cannot afford myself a Audio-GD 11.28 or something high-end, but in the futur I intend to buy the HD6XX, I know that the amp in the Fulla 2 isn't powerful enough to drive them, so I planned to buy the Magni 3 in the futur.

But should I take the Magni 3 and plug it directly my mobo's rear jack port and use the a-bit-maybe-crappy internal DAC and maybe in the futur take a better DAC (Topping D10, Modi 2 etc.) or should I take something with both a DAC/Amp (Fulla 2) and reuse it in the futur with a better Amp ?

Fulla2 might sound only a little bit better than the Magni3 due to the DAC.

Fulla2 can output a line signal to a Magni3 if you by the Fulla2 first then the Magni3 later.

That said...why not just buy an AudioGD NFB-11 much later? I mean will it take you two years to save up for the extra cash? And even then by that point something better for the same money might have come out, not just the DAC-HPamp but also headphones low impedance, higher sensitivity, and doesn't trail off at the low end as much as current cans with such specs at a lower price point and/or doesn't have the treble peaks.

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 12
Fulla2 might sound only a little bit better than the Magni3 due to the DAC.

Fulla2 can output a line signal to a Magni3 if you by the Fulla2 first then the Magni3 later.

That said...why not just buy an AudioGD NFB-11 much later? I mean will it take you two years to save up for the extra cash? And even then by that point something better for the same money might have come out, not just the DAC-HPamp but also headphones low impedance, higher sensitivity, and doesn't trail off at the low end as much as current cans with such specs at a lower price point and/or doesn't have the treble peaks.

Thank you for your reply, but an AudioGD is alot of cash, If I save up for, it will maybe take months for me. I'm not a big ass audiophile, I only need something a bit cheap for now, and then a better amp (or amp now and better DAC in the futur) for a HD6XX.

I need to save up for other things that is more important for me too

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Thank you for your reply, but an AudioGD is alot of cash, If I save up for, it will maybe take months for me. I'm not a big ass audiophile, I only need something a bit cheap for now, and then a better amp (or amp now and better DAC in the futur) for a HD6XX.

I need to save up for other things that is more important for me too

Months to get something that will practically not need any upgrading will save you more in the long run than getting something that barely improves on anything that will just make you itch for an upgrade again.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 12
Most internal dacs are fine compared to a $100 external one if your not getting a bunch of noise from the internal one. Have heard the 650’s (same as 6xx’s with a different build) from a Magni2 and Vali2 it was pretty good but not great but haven’t heard the Magni3 yet so can’t say. I don’t find a lot of difference in dacs at that price either so most are fine in my opinion I think not much difference until you spend like 3 or 5 hundred . Some will disagree just my opinion YMMV.

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 12
Most internal dacs are fine compared to a $100 external one if your not getting a bunch of noise from the internal one. Have heard the 650’s (same as 6xx’s with a different build) from a Magni2 and Vali2 it was pretty good but not great but haven’t heard the Magni3 yet so can’t say. I don’t find a lot of difference in dacs at that price either so most are fine in my opinion I think not much difference until you spend like 3 or 5 hundred . Some will disagree just my opinion YMMV.

Well, what amp do you recommend for an HD6xx then ?

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 12
JDS Labs O2 (HPamp) and ODAC (DAC)

Meier Corda Rock or Jazz FF

Darkvoice DV336se (note: not ideal for low impedance, low sensitivity headphones, so if you plan on buying other headphones, be aware of this)

AudioGD NFB-11 (DAC+HPamp)

Do you recommend the JDS Labs O2 over the Massdrop O2 ?

I read that the Magni 3 have way more power output than the JDS Labs O2 (and MD O2)

The DarkVoice 336SE is not a good choice since i'm going to use some IEMs too

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 12
Do you recommend the JDS Labs O2 over the Massdrop O2 ?

JDS Labs has more customization options with inputs/outputs, gain settings, etc.

I read that the Magni 3 have way more power output than the JDS Labs O2 (and MD O2)

Waaaaaaaaaaay more but barring looking for a cheap way to drive old planars, you can go either way.

The DarkVoice 336SE is not a good choice since i'm going to use some IEMs too

If it's just for the HD6xx then the DV336se is the best bang for the buck but if you really want to use IEMs (or any low impedance headphones in the future) then the safest bet is the Meier Jazz FF.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 12
JDS Labs has more customization options with inputs/outputs, gain settings, etc.

Waaaaaaaaaaay more but barring looking for a cheap way to drive old planars, you can go either way.

If it's just for the HD6xx then the DV336se is the best bang for the buck but if you really want to use IEMs (or any low impedance headphones in the future) then the safest bet is the Meier Jazz FF.

Well, if one day I have enough money, I'll take the DarkVoice (or another tube amp) !

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, if one day I have enough money, I'll take the DarkVoice (or another tube amp) !

If you buy the Meier first since you can use it on IEMs and practically any headphone there's really no need to get that on top of it considering the value proposition of most OTL amplifiers is that you can have enough power and gain for even old 600ohm headphone with lower sensitivity for not a lot of money, which the Jazz FF or similar amps will be able to do anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back