Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Dec 8, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,771 of 3,231
There are some little LEDs or something on the circuit board under the tubes that glow orange, not sure why but I've learned to live with it…I like the way back side if the regular indicator LEDs also glow up through the tube venting holes, as clearly I have a low threshold of entertainment.
Thanks for fast reply. I have had Freya on playing for 12 hours solid and just noticed. I was just admiring the details and enjoying watching the valves as I listened. I am still so blown away by the performance of this beautiful Pre amp. Esp as so many pre’s are into multiple thousands

Thanks again

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #1,773 of 3,231
ADC0797D-9645-47CB-972B-31D87216B2B5.jpeg
Lol yes past post edit is very handy.
Freya is my first preamp as i had owned an integrated cyrus 3 for 28 years. Added a Bryston 4b3 last year and to be honest £5000 later it still sounded virtually the same. Then Changed Dac after researching lead me to this site. One Gustard x22 later and wow outstanding improvement.
Still lacking soundstage but i guessed it was now my 30 year old mission 753 holding it back.
Along comes sweet Freya and i have to admit being disappointed . Disappointed my 753’s actually sound so darn fine. Lacking on deep base but so wonderful really.
Van damme cable through out. Balanced interconnects and 6mm shotgun speaker cables
Even my mate with reference kefs is amazed the 753 with Freya surpass their abilities
Let the music play

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,774 of 3,231
I've owned a LOT of preamps over the decades, and the Freya is somewhat unique as there's really nothing like it, and luckily I wound up with one that sounds astonishingly good with my gear heap. Note that I fixed the typos in my previous comment…man…

The only preamps I've used that are in the same league as Freya are the Adcom GFP-750 and my Yamaha CX-1000.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,775 of 3,231
Does anyone know the max impedance value of the passive volume control?

(For example, the Schiit Sys goes up to 5kohms and the Goldpoint RCA passive preamp is 25kohms.)

This will inform whether the impedance ratio with my speaker amp (15kohms) will be viable or not...

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,776 of 3,231

(For example, the Schiit Sys goes up to 5kohms and the Goldpoint RCA passive preamp is 25kohms.)

This will inform whether the impedance ratio with my speaker amp (15kohms) will be viable or not...

I don't think the impedance of the volume control affects the output impedance of any of the passive or gain stages. The signal does not travel directly through the pot used to trigger volume changes, so the variable impedance of the pot is used only as a determinate for the stepped attenuator. If the signal would travel through the pot, the output impedance may well jump up to 10k ohms on lower volume, and that would really kill the mesh between the freya and the power amp.

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,777 of 3,231

I don't think the impedance of the volume control affects the output impedance of any of the passive or gain stages. The signal does not travel directly through the pot used to trigger volume changes, so the variable impedance of the pot is used only as a determinate for the stepped attenuator. If the signal would travel through the pot, the output impedance may well jump up to 10k ohms on lower volume, and that would really kill the mesh between the freya and the power amp.

Just got confirmation from Schiit that in passive mode, output impedance is 5k ohms worst case (in other words, same specs for this as the Sys).

May 8, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #1,778 of 3,231
This room is about 12' W X 13'+ D X 8' H, the Tekton Lore-S speakers are about 94 dB efficient.

Tube noise at the listening position is very noticeable. So much so, I have pulled the tubes and only use passive mode now. I feel I like passive mode best with these speakers anyway, but I can't really judge tube mode, due to the noise....

The Freya is still under Wtty, but from what I have read I am likely to get it back with a No Problem Found, if I send it in. I have numerous sets of Tubes, including 4 Russian stock, 4 NP Tung Sols, 4 NOS Tung Sols, 2 Ken Rad Staggered plates and a number of others. They all have the same noise (some higher than others)

I should take dB readings with no input and the tubes in. The room generally reads about 30-35 dB at dead silent, measured with REW and a Umik-1 mic. I would guess, it would read in the 40s with the tubes in.

What would you guys do?

FWIW, the pictured Schiit Loki EQ was sent back, and is not in use in this system.

JdhdbtCh.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #1,779 of 3,231
This room is about 12' W X 13'+ D X 8' H, the Tekton Lore-S speakers are about 94 dB efficient.

Tube noise at the listening position is very noticeable. So much so, I have pulled the tubes and only use passive mode now. I feel I like passive mode best with these speakers anyway, but I can't really judge tube mode, due to the noise....

The Freya is still under Wtty, but from what I have read I am likely to get it back with a No Problem Found, if I send it in. I have numerous sets of Tubes, including 4 stock, 4 NP Tung Sols, 4 NOS Tung Sols, 2 Ken Rad Staggered plates and a number of others. They all have the same noise (some higher than others)

I should take dB readings with no input and the tubes in. The room generally reads about 30-35 dB at dead silent, measured with REW and a Umik-1 mic. I would guess, it would read in the 40s with the tubes in.

What would you guys do?

FWIW, the pictured Schiit Loki EQ was sent back, and is not in use in this system.

JdhdbtCh.jpg
Send it back then. It was never advertised as a zero black pre amp as tubes have noise when nothing is playing but go ahead and send it back then as it isn’t for you. No need to beat around the bush it isn’t what you want then done move along as you don’t like it.

May 8, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #1,780 of 3,231

The Freya is still under Wtty, but from what I have read I am likely to get it back with a No Problem Found, if I send it in. I have numerous sets of Tubes, including 4 Russian stock, 4 NP Tung Sols, 4 NOS Tung Sols, 2 Ken Rad Staggered plates and a number of others. They all have the same noise (some higher than others)

What would you guys do?

JdhdbtCh.jpg

I spent about eight months thinking either 1.) I had horrible luck buying tubes because they would sound great for a while and then develop lots of glaring noise, or 2.) The Freya was defective and actively ruining the tubes. I was about to box it up and ship it back when the noise went away. Why? Because I had moved my Tube Box DS phono away from the Freya as I prepared to disconnect it. At least, I *think* that’s the reason. Since then, I moved the phono amp to a different shelf, and the Freya has quieted down a lot—to what I think is a “normal” level of tube hiss, which I usually only hear with my ear to the speaker. Now, tubes that were once crackling, buzzing, and/or humming are mostly quiet.

So, if you still have other components on or next to the Freya, try moving them apart and see if anything changes.

May 8, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #1,781 of 3,231
Send it back then. It was never advertised as a zero black pre amp as tubes have noise when nothing is playing but go ahead and send it back then as it isn’t for you. No need to beat around the bush it isn’t what you want then done move along as you don’t like it.

I have had it for over 2 years, don't think I can send it back... I had it in a different system, with speakers that were 84 dB efficient, and the tube noise wasn't an issue. But I swapped the preamps for better synergy, and I like it best this way. I think I would probably like passive mode better in this system anyway, I am just trying to get others thoughts on if this is a defective unit or not.

From reading I have done, it has more tube noise that your average tube preamp. Plenty of people talk about only being able to hear tube noise with your ear right against the speaker, this you could hear from 20-30 feet away.....

May 9, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #1,782 of 3,231
I have had it for over 2 years, don't think I can send it back... I had it in a different system, with speakers that were 84 dB efficient, and the tube noise wasn't an issue. But I swapped the preamps for better synergy, and I like it best this way. I think I would probably like passive mode better in this system anyway, I am just trying to get others thoughts on if this is a defective unit or not.

From reading I have done, it has more tube noise that your average tube preamp. Plenty of people talk about only being able to hear tube noise with your ear right against the speaker, this you could hear from 20-30 feet away.....

I think that you may have noisey tubes. I'll check my Freya when I get home. I have about 94db efficient speakers so I ought to be able to tell you something reasonably definitive. I don't really use the Freya anymore or I would probably have an immediate response for you.

Best Regards,

Lou

May 9, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,783 of 3,231
Hey brad1138, I had slight hissing noise using tubes (stock Russian tubes and new Tungsols), I switched to LSSTs and the noise went away. I can only hear a faint hiss with my ear less than an inch away from the tweeter. To me me the LSSTs sound as good or better than tubes and seem to be more musical than passive or JFET mode. Have you tried them, you might be able to find a used quad? Bonus, the LSSTs don't seem microfonic at all. My Freya is version 1.1, I'm pretty sure.

May 9, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,784 of 3,231
Hey brad1138, I had slight hissing noise using tubes (stock Russian tubes and new Tungsols), I switched to LSSTs and the noise went away. I can only hear a faint hiss with my ear less than an inch away from the tweeter. To me me the LSSTs sound as good or better than tubes and seem to be more musical than passive or JFET mode. Have you tried them, you might be able to find a used quad? Bonus, the LSSTs don't seem microfonic at all. My Freya is version 1.1, I'm pretty sure.

The LSST option has puzzled me... Doesn't a Solid state tube defeat the entire reason behind having tubes? if you are going to use a solid state tube, why not just use the buffered or passive option?

I think I'll stick with the passive option in this set up, I like it better than buffered, or tube.

May 9, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #1,785 of 3,231
I have to wonder if my Freya is so quiet because of the various regulated power supplies in the rig, a Humbuster, and decent cables....or luck...Zero hum, and that's with efficient horns...The tubes sound so good I only use the other modes to amuse myself and as a Tube Honesty tool...in any case it's interesting anybody has issues with hum and I sympathize with those users, but still feel the Freya (mine anyway) is an excellent sounding preamp, and I've owned a pile of preamps over the years. I also don't get the LSST thing as tubes are so much fun, and, although this shouldn't matter, they look cool...maybe it's for gain increase, but if I used LSSTs I'd paint a tube on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back