Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Oct 26, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,696 of 3,233
On my seemingly "vintage" Freya the passive and FET modes seem to be exactly the same gain level although they claim the FET will drive longer cables, so in that case maybe a gain difference would be more obvious, and the tube mode is way hotter as most have described…so I assume something has changed in the thing, although a 14 db gain increase for the tube section is still listed on the site...Hmmm…the mute and level does leak some but doesn't bother me…and no clicking in this one except from the level change.

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,697 of 3,233
I had to wait a little last year for my Freya, and it was worth the wait. Note that I am still surprised at the Freya noise issues that some have noted as mine is DEAD quiet with any of the tubes I've used, from the original "el mysteriouso" Russian stock things to new Tung Sols and my current pile of NOS Sylvania Chrome Domes and RCAs...and for my tastes the tube setting sounds much better than the FET or passive, and as noted previously my SE power amp prefers the higher gain. By the way, here's a hilarious recent interview with the Schiitheads:

What is your definition of "Dead Quiet". You mean you hear nothing, or at least, nothing more than passive or JFET mode? If so, mine definitely has an issue. I think tubes are supposed to add a little noise...

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,698 of 3,233
I get that some have experienced pesky tube noise here and there, but I recently checked again and here's what I found: Turning the Freya to max volume with my ear pressed on the horn tweeter of my 99db Klipcsh Heresy IIIs (doing this with MUSIC at max volume, even with my relatively low powered 12wpc single ended tube amp, would fry my earballs and addle my small brain), I switched to the Phono Preamp input, and turned my (usually in its passive bypassed mode unless needed from time to time) Schiit Loki EQ 8kHz knob up all the way...resulting in zero noise from the passive and FET settings, and a very low level "shoosh" from the tube mode. Barely perceptible. Max volume. The good news is my tube power amp is really dead quiet, but I will change my Freya tube noise opinion to "barely there" as that's what it is...and only when cranking the high frequency to a silly boosted level. I've heard more noise from really well grounded SS amps, so I can say that any tube noise from this Freya is utterly irrelevant. Yes, the tubes are there...and they sound fabulous playing music.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,699 of 3,233
When nothing is playing, I only hear the slightest hiss (not hum) with my ear a few inches away from the tweeters in both the right and left speakers. I have an early Freya with 14 db gain in tube mode versus passive and jfet. That's with my quietest tube pair in the right hand front and rear positions.

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,700 of 3,233
I just went in and listened again. In Passive or JFET, there is some noise, but nothing I would even mention. I tube mode, with the stock tubes (they are the quietest) you can hear a buzzing/humming from the seated position, it actually is loud enough to register above 50 dB on my dB meter right at the drivers....

This is with my DAC input (input 5) and the CD paused, and the volume all the way down. The noise does not vary with the volume setting, it is constant at this level.

I listen at fairly low levels in this room, probably 60's and low 70 dB's. That noise is very noticeable, and I just can't use tube mode....

The Speakers are 93 dB efficient.

56 dB
OwTVC9eh.jpg

~52dB
IbegZ4Wh.jpg

Sitting position, about 8 ft away
zepc2x7h.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,701 of 3,233
What is your definition of "Dead Quiet". You mean you hear nothing, or at least, nothing more than passive or JFET mode? If so, mine definitely has an issue. I think tubes are supposed to add a little noise...
On my Freya [purchased 7/2017, the output noise is tube dependent, but all is silent in the 'mute' position. Some noise is evident in the jfet mode, but you have to work to hear it. Freya is, however, susceptible to magnetic fields----try moving the dear girl.

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,702 of 3,233
I just went in and listened again. In Passive or JFET, there is some noise, but nothing I would even mention. I tube mode, with the stock tubes (they are the quietest) you can hear a buzzing/humming from the seated position, it actually is loud enough to register above 50 dB on my dB meter right at the drivers....

This is with my DAC input (input 5) and the CD paused, and the volume all the way down. The noise does not vary with the volume setting, it is constant at this level.

I listen at fairly low levels in this room, probably 60's and low 70 dB's. That noise is very noticeable, and I just can't use tube mode....

The Speakers are 93 dB efficient.

56 dB
OwTVC9eh.jpg

~52dB
IbegZ4Wh.jpg

Sitting position, about 8 ft away
zepc2x7h.jpg
If the noise [or hum], is low frequency, it may be due to heater-cathode leakage in the tubes, Freya voltage amps are direct coupled to the cathode followers, which means that the filaments are biased up frpm ground. A tube with heater-cathode shorts can be a problem-----in this application.Remember----not all tube applications are identical or even similar. You do not learn this stuff from a book.

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #1,703 of 3,233
If the noise [or hum], is low frequency, it may be due to heater-cathode leakage in the tubes, Freya voltage amps are direct coupled to the cathode followers, which means that the filaments are biased up frpm ground. A tube with heater-cathode shorts can be a problem-----in this application.Remember----not all tube applications are identical or even similar. You do not learn this stuff from a book.

I have the stock set, a set of Tung Sol NP, Tung Sol NOS, and at least a 1/2 dozen pair of your more "highly regarded " NOS tubes. They all make noise, the stock tubes are the least noisy... (which are the ones from the above pic)

And I would say, there is a hum, a hiss, and static...

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,704 of 3,233
Related to this, I haven't forgotten it, got the move done back to the normal apartment last weekend, quick testing, quick measurements with the oscilloscope with screenshots a week before that, clearly showing the 50Hz hum in tube mode but not in the two others, tried another new thing this week (more on that later, but the problem got fixed, but it's not really an sensible option with a 1700€ set), and doing further testing with another power amp instead of Vidar with some other ideas. I'll report back as soon as I can.
Schiit replied me with forwarding my questions to a "senior tech" along with a request to contact the distributor - Sonority Audio, haven't gotten around to that yet until I've exhausted all of my ideas. No reply from that senior tech from Schiit; but I'll keep them updated about my findings when I get around to that.

As promised, my measurements, both units in the same grounded power strip, both 230V versions, Freya muted
  • Schiit Freya with supplied power cord
  • ViaBlue NF-A7 RCA interconnect
  • (GLI-2RCA RCA ground loop isolator when mentioned in the description)
  • Schiit Vidar with supplied power cord
  • Blue Jeans Cable Ten White speaker cable
  • Tannoy XT 8F (91dB sensitivity 2.83 volt @ 1 m), measurements from the link plates of the speaker posts.
As mentioned in my previous posts, I have several dozen matched pairs of tubes, with some tube pairs the hum is very loud, and with some it's so faint that you can't really hear it from the listening position unless you really concentrate, (albeit heard more clearly from various places in the room due to room resonances).

All 18 measurements with descriptions are found here: https://imgur.com/a/DxhZicV
Measurements from #1-15 done with a tube pair where the hum is very loud,
(measurements #10-15 from the splitted RCA signal, the level of the signal is so low that you can't really see anything, but they're in the album if you're interested)
and measurements #16-18 are among my quietest pairs, where you really have to concentrate to hear the hum.

As mentioned, I'm not an EE, so a friend took the measurements.

Here's a quick comparison:
  • #1: XLR -> Vidar in monoblock mode, measurements from right speaker post, tube mode:
    • friend thought it was merely an RCA ground loop problem, where the balanced differential signal would get rid of the hum, but no.
hLifPnb.png

• #4: RCA -> Vidar in stereo mode, measurements from right speaker post, tube mode
    • the hum is a lot louder vs. XLR/monoblock configuration
HDgkeAP.png

• #5: RCA -> Vidar, measurements from right speaker post, passive mode
    • very, *very* low noise floor, you can't even tell if the amp is on or off, with your ear by the tweeter
5ZKupnB.png

• #6: RCA -> Vidar, measurements from right speaker post, JFET
    • from my previous post: "... with your ear directly by the speakers' driver, you can hear the noise floor rise with JFET even so slightly"
OXPj4dL.png

• #7: RCA with a cheap RCA "ground loop isolator" -> Vidar, measurements from right speaker post, tube mode
    • my friend wasn't 100% certain if the 50Hz hum was seen by the oscilloscope or not, in real life the hum disappeared in my opinion, but was it due to the fact that the cheap isolator attenuates the signal a bit so the hum disappears in the inherent noise?
    • see the album images #8 and #9 for passive/JFET measurements, they're just as noisy?
    • in RL the noise floor did rise a bit with the isolator, almost inaudibly, but tbh the measurements look a lot worse? I seriously thought the problem was solved with the isolator - it was that quiet.
    • don't use a cheap RCA ground loop isolator, as it *really* messes up the frequency response, my unit got rid of the bass :p
Seo2frN.png

• #16: bonus measurements with a "quiet" pair, RCA -> Vidar, measurements from right speaker post, tube mode
    • a pair among the quietest tubes but the 50Hz hum is still faintly audible as mentioned above
XCAdooP.png

I'll send the measurements to Schiit and ask, is this working as intended (designed this way?), or could my Freya (or Vidar?) be faulty, and I'll contact Sonority about the problem after their response.

Before these measurements in my previous post I thought I had solved the problem, as the hum did, and does disappear with the (cheap, low-quality, frequency response-messing) RCA isolator (IRL, IMO).
But now after the measurements, I'm not 100% certain if it the ground loop isolator does the trick or not; and I can't say if a better quality, Radial Engineering/Jensen transformed DI/isolator box (which doesn't mess up the frequency response) can help or not with my problem (and if so, will it help due to isolating or attenuating?).
Also, they're quite expensive - dropping 200-400€ for a box between the Freya and Vidar shouldn't be the way to go, eh?
My friend thought that perhaps an RCA -10dB attenuator would get rid of the hum as well, in my case.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Edit/addendum 28.10.2018, 20:40EET:
I forgot to mention in the post, that we confirmed the hum with another amp instead of Vidar, an old AVR Yamaha acting as the "power" amp.

Additionally, in my post #14511303 I mentioned how I tried different grounding schemes before, along with an isolation transformer before/between the units, lifting ground manually, grounding the chassis of both or either units (as suggested a post after that) etc., to no avail.
This time no isolation transformer was used, but there were no other electric appliances plugged in the fuse in my living room, other than Freya and Vidar (and Yggy for a while), for the measurements - as mentioned, both grounded in the same power strip.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,705 of 3,233
I have the stock set, a set of Tung Sol NP, Tung Sol NOS, and at least a 1/2 dozen pair of your more "highly regarded " NOS tubes. They all make noise, the stock tubes are the least noisy... (which are the ones from the above pic)

And I would say, there is a hum, a hiss, and static...
Sounds like something besides tubes. Have you contacted Schiit with your problem and measurements?

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,706 of 3,233
My Freya has always been noisy like that in tube mode. I always thought they had a bit of a problem with the design....

I literally have to choose the quietest tubes I have (and I have lots) not to be able to hear them from my listening position.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #1,707 of 3,233
drwlf,
Wow, that looks like a significant problem in tube mode. Did you test the output of the Freya by itself? Does the problem occur with a different amplifier? My Freya - Yamaha B-2x amplifier don't have any 60hz hum (here in the U.S.) in any of the output modes that I can hear (I haven't checked it with an oscilloscope).

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #1,709 of 3,233
drwlf,
Wow, that looks like a significant problem in tube mode. Did you test the output of the Freya by itself? Does the problem occur with a different amplifier? My Freya - Yamaha B-2x amplifier don't have any 60hz hum (here in the U.S.) in any of the output modes that I can hear (I haven't checked it with an oscilloscope).
Hi, and thanks for the reply!

Indeed, in the imgur album, the measurements between #10-15 are from Freya "itself":
10-12 Freya with different modes -> RCA isolator -> RCA splitter, where the other end is going to Vidar (so we could audibly verify the hum), and the measurements are from the other RCA split's 3.5mm tip into the oscilloscope.
13-15 the same path with different modes, but without the RCA isolator.
As mentioned above, the signal level was too low for the oscilloscope (Freya was muted), and my friend told me that he would have to build an "active amplifier" to boost the signal, so we could verify the hum. As I mentioned, I'm not an EE, I don't know the model of the oscilloscope (I can ask if somebody thinks it's relevant), or about the "normal" ranges of measurements of oscilloscopes (as in if we had a "better" oscilloscope, could we have measured the low level signal in detail?)
Anyways - to confirm these particular measurements, we plugged in the input from Yggy, and ran an online tone generator from a laptop; the measurements showed pretty much the correct frequency, amplitude changed with volume etc.

I forgot to mention in the post, that we confirmed the hum with another amp instead of Vidar, an old AVR Yamaha acting as the "power" amp. I'll make an addendum to the post about that.

Additionally, in my post #14511303 I mentioned how I tried different grounding schemes, along with an isolation transformer before/between the units, lifting ground manually, grounding the chassis (as suggested a post after that) etc., to no avail.
This time no isolation transformer was used, but there were no other electric appliances plugged in the fuse in my living room, other than Freya and Vidar (and Yggy for a while).

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,710 of 3,233
Sounds like something besides tubes. Have you contacted Schiit with your problem and measurements?

I am still trying to decide if there is actually "something wrong" or not. Don't want to pay to ship it back, and have then say it is normal.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back