Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,547 of 3,226
Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and ordered. Are these socket savers the ones that fit through the top cover holes?

https://www.partsconnexion.com/SOCKET-74489.html

I guess they are made in China, is the quality ok?

Thanks, David

I think that they are all, or nearly all, now made in China. I had seen some NOS types that were US made, but I think they were bakelite, an old inferior plastic. I bought ceramic ones from China on eBay. I personally like ceramic types better, YMMV.

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,548 of 3,226
Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and ordered. Are these socket savers the ones that fit through the top cover holes?

Thanks, David

Probably, but if you buy direct from Ebay, from China, they'll be a lot cheaper. I paid $12 for 4 with $3.99 for delivery. It took about 10 -14 days with zero problems. $6.95 each plus delivery from Parts Connexion seems a bit steep. And they probably ordered a lot of 100 or 500 and got them even cheaper.

The only USA made ones are offered by Tube Monger and they're steep, about $35 each. See
http://www.tubemonger.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=socket+saver&Submit=

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,549 of 3,226
I found these on Ebay, I can get 4 for about $12 or $13 with shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-8Pin-N...766989?hash=item3cc4bd218d:g:dsQAAMXQslhRjanY

They look exactly the same as the parts connection ones. Probably the same factory in China cranking out millions of them. I just want to make sure they will fit through the top cover holes, don't want to void the warranty by removing the cover. Does anybody know for sure?

The ones from tubemonger are tempting, but that's a lot of money. I could get some damn nice NOS tubes for that, that's gonna be next.

Thanks, David

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,550 of 3,226
Hi everybody - I have been lurking for a while and have read most of this thread. I have a couple of questions.....

I am wanting to order a Freya, but their site says back ordered to 6/6. Do you think I should go ahead and order, or wait until it says "in stock". I emailed them and they said go ahead and order (it was a pretty vague answer). Has anyone heard how long it's going to be, one week - one month - 3 months?

Also, has anyone heard anything about a Freya 2? It would be nice to turn the tube section off so you don't have to pull the tubes when in passive or JFET. I would hate to buy and then the next month a new model comes out. How long did it take for Schiit to update other products? I think the Freya has been out for about a year and a half?

Sorry if these questions have been covered already, and thanks.
It didn't stop me from ordering one last Sunday. Haven't heard anything so far, but I also had Yggdrasil upgrades in my cart. If the order has to be processed complete then I guess I'm waiting 2-3 months until I reach my place in line on the Yggy upgrade queue before the Freya ships. *shrugs*

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #1,551 of 3,226

Thanks, David

Those are the ones I have. They work fine in Freya.
Somewhere back in this thread I think there was mention of some socket savers that don't fit, and I think they looked the same, or at least close enough to appear the same, as these.
So, there are a few varieties that have slightly different diameters: some fit, some don't.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,552 of 3,226
I ordered two pairs of LISST from Schiit for my Freya, they send me two singles. They send me another pair and these come in, obviously used and perhaps a return pair.

I ask to send it back for a refund and they say no return shipping and restocking fee. What Schiit service thus far. 2 goofs on previous shippings and on the 3rd I get a used pair of LISST tubes.

Screenshot_2018-06-15-14-43-29.png Screenshot_2018-06-15-14-43-49.png Screenshot_2018-06-15-14-44-05.png

Cleaner stills:
20180615_143612.jpg 20180615_143812_HDR.jpg 20180615_143717_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,554 of 3,226
Does anyone know of decently priced Schiit Freya alternatives by other manufacturers? Could be all SS and priced $500-1000 with multiple outs (balanced not necessary).

I don't believe that there is any such animal. If I were you, I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Schiit will likely do the right thing under such pressure. Sad it had to come to this, but it is what it is!

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,555 of 3,226
Not sure if something at this scale warrants a complaint with the bbb, i suppose it is all relative and it's more the principle.

I will see how they respond to that last e-mail. This isn't the first time I had issues with Schiit, I've sent back mt Freya 2x for warranty because they said it had no issues the first time around when it would change volume on it's own (shown and proved with video proof). The second time I demanded a new unit and they did replace it.

I don't believe that there is any such animal. If I were you, I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Schiit will likely do the right thing under such pressure. Sad it had to come to this, but it is what it is!

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,556 of 3,226
Why does the fact that these tubes were inserted into a socket a few times reduce their value? You can literally do this thousands of times before the mechanical wear becomes an issue. It has no functional effect on their operation. Likewise with the internal parts. These are solid state devices and a few hours of use represents no meaningful reduction in their service life whatsoever.

I mean, I get it, I'm a pretty picky person myself, but if the Lisst tubes you received work correctly and are not damaged or worn in some unusual way I just don't see what the issue is? To call these parts "worn out" because they were used a few times already is an exaggeration to put it mildly.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,557 of 3,226
Well then, you shouldn't have problems paying full price MSRP for used equipment in the classifieds as long as they're in very good to excellent condition with that logic. I wonder how many have that same thought...

Do you think anyone will buy these LISST tubes used in the classifieds for $100 on the pair?

Why does the fact that these tubes were inserted into a socket a few times reduce their value? You can literally do this thousands of times before the mechanical wear becomes an issue. It has no functional effect on their operation. Likewise with the internal parts. These are solid state devices and a few hours of use represents no meaningful reduction in their service life whatsoever.

I mean, I get it, I'm a pretty picky person myself, but if the Lisst tubes you received work correctly and are not damaged or worn in some unusual way I just don't see what the issue is? To call these parts "worn out" because they were used a few times already is an exaggeration to put it mildly.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #1,558 of 3,226
Sorry to hear about your issues.

But, I ordered a quad set of the LISST tubes. When they arrived, I didn't even think to inspect the metal pins to make sure they were pristine. I just inserted them into the preamp. And haven't touched them since.

I'm quite happy with them when using single-ended sources. But, since I don't need the added gain, I switch over to passive mode when I use my balanced sources.

Jun 18, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #1,560 of 3,226
Hi,

This is my first post here. I’m following this thread for quite a while.

I have a Freya for some time now and added 1 Vidar recently. I like the sound I get from this combo after replacing the stock tubes with better ones: one matched pair 6SN7 Sylvania Blackplate and one matched pair 6SN7 Raytheon GTA.
I tried tube savers to reduce heat, but I had to remove them as I got some microphony using these.

Switching off the power causes some problems and I wonder if this is normal and if not what I can do about it.

As the power switches of Freya and Vidar are on the back I initially used a power strip with power switch to switch both on and off. When switching off I get a loud bang from my speakers (DC?). When muting the Freya before switching off the bang gets less.
I replaced the power strip by one that has a separate switch for each power outlet. Switching off the Vidar first gives a soft plop on the speakers.
I assume the Freya is the cause of the loud bang when not muting it before switching off.

What can be done to stop this behaviour?

I hope someone of this community can help me here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back