Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
May 4, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,486 of 3,219
That's a personal preference. With the right tubes, I definitely believe that my system sounds better with the Freya, but I have an amplifier, so a preamp is pretty much a must have for me anyway.

May 4, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,487 of 3,219
I only buy NOS tubes from places (or people in the case of Ebay) with warranties/return policies. So far it's been great luck (years ago thetubestore replaced a pair of Philips 12AT7s when one blew…warranty!), and I also found that NOS Sylvania "chrome domes" are plentiful, relatively inexpensive, and in the case of the pair I bought some months ago, they sound fabulous…no microphonics or any other noise. It's luck maybe. Regarding buying a Freya to use with what I assume the poster meant is an integrated amp with a preamp bypass, I think hey…why not? Do it. Do it now. Also regarding the post noting "saving the tubes" by using the passive or FET option, I think you'd have to actually remove the tubes to save 'em as they're always on. I use the non-tube modes just as a "I wonder if my tubes are dying" reference mode only, or due to bad remote controlling, so I'm glad they're part of Freyaland.…also my experience is that preamp tubes last a long time relative to power tubes anyway…years…I get bored and swap preamp tubes generally well before they display any tonal issues, but have hung with power tubes until they were begging to be replaced, thus a general preamp or small tube stash. Now my single ended amp only has one small tube, a 6SN7GTB coincidently, so 12AX7s and AT7s (and one 12AU7 in a little tube headphone amp) are all destined for guitar amps.

May 12, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #1,488 of 3,219
I have been looking back through posts and couldn't find anything but is has anyone changed their power cord on the Freya and if you did what did you use and did you notice any improvement. Sorry if this has been covered before.

May 12, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #1,489 of 3,219
I have been looking back through posts and couldn't find anything but is has anyone changed their power cord on the Freya and if you did what did you use and did you notice any improvement. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I always use and aftermarket power cord. To my ears, the ones I use do make a difference from the word. "go". (Beware, that there are many people who denigrate your opinion to no end, for even admitting to this, as if they were were the dispensing the wisdom of God as it had been handed down to them. I trust my ears, before I trust the naysayers.)

My original power cords were designed and made by Bob Crump (deceased) under his TG Audio brand; they're called HSR A and 688 model cords. They are probably only available these days as used. I recently started using VH Audio power cords made by Chris VenHaus. I'm using the Flavor 1 on the Valhalla. https://www.vhaudio.com/powercables.html]/url]

Both cords allow slightly cleaner sound, slightly more detail and more bloom to come through the headphones.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #1,490 of 3,219
So the general consensus is that the Freya can be very noisy in tube gain mode, even with very good tubes? Thankfully Schiit has a return policy so I can test it out and return it if I don't like it. One of the main reasons I am interested in the Freya as a preamp is because in tube gain mode it converts a SE signal into balanced, which is how I'd use it primarily. But I hate high noise floors, and I don't want it to degrade the audio signal from a Chord Hugo 2 or to a HeadAmp GS-X Mk2. Does the Freya sound right for me?

May 19, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,491 of 3,219
Unfortunately there are some sound manipulation which come through as some high frequency easing with the Freya from the Hugo 2 (vs using the Hugo 2 as a pre directly to an ss amp powering vintage KEF speakers). With that said I use Belden interconnects which isn't fancy by any means but in my opinion are plenty good. However I do use the same belden cables to go straight to the amp from the Hugo2 and quality gains can be heard, more-so in the treble region. This is via JFet and tube mode using EH tubes. By no means is it bad, it's more of a Freya sound signature (or Schiit sound depending on how you want to see it). I have tested it changing DAC and amp sections as well as speakers, it has its signature in all of them. Quite frankly excellent balance with certain gear, too much for other that are already tilted towards warmth (subjectively).

This has got me thinking of trying LISST tubes to see if I can get the Freya to sound like connecting my amp directly to the H2.

In regards to noise, I do not have this issue with the Freya using EH tubes. I did with stock tubes which sound mediocre at best anyway so save those for a rainy day or if you decide to strictly run JFET. I have had 2 Freyas, the first being exchanged for a new due to other reasons, and both have had 0 issues with noise using quiet tubes.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,492 of 3,219
So the general consensus is that the Freya can be very noisy in tube gain mode, even with very good tubes? Thankfully Schiit has a return policy so I can test it out and return it if I don't like it. One of the main reasons I am interested in the Freya as a preamp is because in tube gain mode it converts a SE signal into balanced, which is how I'd use it primarily. But I hate high noise floors, and I don't want it to degrade the audio signal from a Chord Hugo 2 or to a HeadAmp GS-X Mk2. Does the Freya sound right for me?
Well if you have high sensitivity speakers , you may have issues.

May 19, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,493 of 3,219

What speakers are you using? The higher the sensitivity the more likely you'll hear noise. This isn't unique to Freya, it's just the reality of using tubes at the sensitive pre-amp stage of the signal. You absolutely can find tubes that are quiet and noise free (or at least almost), but it can take some patience and experimentation. If this sounds like a hassle to you rather than fun then the tube gain stage probably isn't going to be your cup of tea.

May 19, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #1,494 of 3,219
What speakers are you using? The higher the sensitivity the more likely you'll hear noise. This isn't unique to Freya, it's just the reality of using tubes at the sensitive pre-amp stage of the signal. You absolutely can find tubes that are quiet and noise free (or at least almost), but it can take some patience and experimentation. If this sounds like a hassle to you rather than fun then the tube gain stage probably isn't going to be your cup of tea.

Going to be using either Magnepans or MartinLogan ESLs, most likely the Magnepans. Low sensitivity either way though.

May 19, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,495 of 3,219
Going to be using either Magnepans or MartinLogan ESLs, most likely the Magnepans. Low sensitivity either way though.

I have B&W 801M's with caps bypassed using Audyn True Copper caps. I have not had such issues except a couple of bad tubes. I have an Audio Research LS15, I used VCaps to bypass it's caps, and a Coda 05R which is full of Black Gate, VCaps, etc. Both have soft recovery rectifier, etc. The Freya with zero mods blows them away with a pair of Raytheons with the T looking support in the bottom section of the tube, and a pair of Ken Rads, good Ken Rads are not easy to find, they tend to be microphonic.

May 20, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,497 of 3,219
I use Klipsch Heresy III speakers rated at 99db (alegedly) and the Freya is utterly quiet (zero hum or hiss in any mode) and has been that way with all the tubes I've tried including the stock whatever they are, new Tung Sols, Tung Sols with Sylvania chrome domes in the front, and now using NOS Sylvanias in both spots…I use low noise stuff here and there….power supplies, a Humbuster III, old but trusty power conditioner, decent cables with the Freya remaining quiet as the proverbial mouse, assuming mouses are quiet...

May 20, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #1,498 of 3,219
I use Klipsch Heresy III speakers rated at 99db (alegedly) and the Freya is utterly quiet (zero hum or hiss in any mode) and has been that way with all the tubes I've tried including the stock whatever they are, new Tung Sols, Tung Sols with Sylvania chrome domes in the front, and now using NOS Sylvanias in both spots…I use low noise stuff here and there….power supplies, a Humbuster III, old but trusty power conditioner, decent cables with the Freya remaining quiet as the proverbial mouse, assuming mouses are quiet...
Your lucky .

May 20, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,499 of 3,219
With stock tubes I only get a bit of noise that I only can hear at the speaker ( a foot or so away). Polk LSi15 from a Adcom GFA-555(which is now died so I’m ampless).

May 20, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #1,500 of 3,219
With stock tubes I only get a bit of noise that I only can hear at the speaker ( a foot or so away). Polk LSi15 from a Adcom GFA-555(which is now died so I’m ampless).

Order up a Vidar or two to replace that Adcom. You'll be a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back