Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #751 of 1,481
Well it's a 650, so yes, sounds about right. You want more highs or lows, you need different headphones. Or throw on some ZMF lambskin pads, though the added bass might overdo it.
hd650 is perfect for me

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #752 of 1,481
Thought I would share on the Tungsram E88CC tubes in the Folkvangr-
3461603B-299D-4A1A-A2BA-E6EC08CB7BE3.jpeg

They pair amazingly well with the ZMF Auteur, which seems to be a near perfect match to the leaner, tighter sound of the Tungsrams. The presentation is very detailed, lively and immediate with an intimate sound stage.

The VC and Clear have large, impressively holographic soundstages but lack some of the sonic vibrancy of the Auteur. They may also have a very slight tendency towards glare with the Tungsrams that the Auteur does not, The glare seems to be going away with more time on the tubes. They’re probably not fully burned in yet with less than 24 hours of run time.

Compared to the stock tubes, I’d describe the Tungsrams as a little dryer, leaner and faster with improved headstage and imaging.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #753 of 1,481
The VC and Clear have large, impressively holographic soundstages but lack some of the sonic vibrancy of the Auteur. They may also have a very slight tendency towards glare with the Tungsrams that the Auteur does not, The glare seems to be going away with more time on the tubes. They’re probably not fully burned in yet with less than 24 hours of run time.

Compared to the stock tubes, I’d describe the Tungsrams as a little dryer, leaner and faster with improved headstage and imaging.
That's a great description of what I hear with the Tungsrams as well. I'd just add that they are also more adept dynamically, especially microdynamics.

Mine didn't reach their pinnacle sonically until they had upwards of 100 hours on them. The mids (especially) gained some additional body and fullness. While they are still not a warm sounding tube to my ears, they seem to be 'less lean' after some extended play time.

Sep 17, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #754 of 1,481
Received my Folkvangr last Friday, spent some time this weekend going through a few pairs of headphones and comparing the experience. I've read multiple responses saying the Sennheiser HD600/650/6XX pair well with the FV. I realize it's largely subjective based on one's own tastes and experience, but what are some recommended headphone pairings that y'all have found so far?

If there was something with a soundstage and detail similar to a Grado PS1000, but with some more bass impact to back it up, that would pretty much be my audio nirvana. :wink:
I keep hoping back to the 6XX. Both my Opto planners and newly acquired ETA mini-closed are fine, but - for me- a little too bright and tiring.

Can't beat the 6XX!!

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #756 of 1,481
That's a great description of what I hear with the Tungsrams as well. I'd just add that they are also more adept dynamically, especially microdynamics.

Mine didn't reach their pinnacle sonically until they had upwards of 100 hours on them. The mids (especially) gained some additional body and fullness. While they are still not a warm sounding tube to my ears, they seem to be 'less lean' after some extended play time.
I agree on the dynamics and microdynamics. I think that’s part of what makes the Auteur pop with them.

Sep 17, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #757 of 1,481
I've completely settled into Atriums with mine (incredible), still haven't had time to roll tubes. Now with the new ZMF announced planars at 65 ohm and 95 db am VERY intrigued if they will play well as I was always a planar guy before Atrium.
I’m very interested too, but the price tag is more than I’m willing to spend. I’m pretty happy with my current set-up so I think I’ll sit on the sidelines for a while until I actually need another pair of headphones.

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #758 of 1,481
I’m very interested too, but the price tag is more than I’m willing to spend. I’m pretty happy with my current set-up so I think I’ll sit on the sidelines for a while until I actually need another pair of headphones.
I heard that ZMF would be releasing a closed version of the Atrium in the near future. Assuming that's true, I'll be jumping on them as soon as they appear.

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #759 of 1,481
I heard that ZMF would be releasing a closed version of the Atrium in the near future. Assuming that's true, I'll be jumping on them as soon as they appear.
I was just testing Atrium on my FV this week. Amazing sound but way too dark for my taste.

Sep 17, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #760 of 1,481
Hello everyone! Thanks for the add and great to meet everyone. I received my Folkvangr yesterday and have been running it on my Focal Utopia and less so on my HD800s (800s are destined for sale soon). The 800s I have never fallen in love with, the staging is super wide but not deep, and the sound is layered and precise, but lacks engagement for me, specifically on the bottom end. I am running a gen 1 Bifrost and Lyr and with my Uptioas it is my ultimate setup. Listening to Texas Flood by SRV on BF+Lyr+Utopia is legendary. HOWEVER, when listening to Lenny on my Utopia's the FV takes the cake.
The Folkvangr sound to me is bright, airy, the soundstage is wide and the instruments are unmatched in their separation and layering. The sound is great, but on some tracks, it just doesn't have enough "oomph."
I am really curious about what everyone else thinks. My favorite tracks on the FV are Muse - Starlight / Lenny - SRV / Andrew Rybak - Fairytale / Florence + TM - King -- anything like this. Where there is no need for the heavy mids or deep bass, but clear solid tone with a good soundstage and detail is preferred.
Then you get to the tracks where it just isn't there with the FV - SRV - Texas Flood is the perfect example. On my Lyr the guitar is front and center, and you FEEL the power. It is a great listening experience. With my FV the guitar is pushed back 10 feet on stage and more balanced with the rest of the sound.

On some tracks, the Lyr and Utopia muddles the mids and bass and confuses and loses some seperation. On FV, the opposite is true.
Would love to hear more feedback from everyone and how they are enjoying their FV.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #761 of 1,481
Not sure if it's really going to be a 'closed version' of Atrium, my impression was this will more along the lines of Eikon Classic. My wallet is hoping so anyway ....

Sep 17, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #762 of 1,481
Not sure if it's really going to be a 'closed version' of Atrium, my impression was this will more along the lines of Eikon Classic. My wallet is hoping so anyway ....
My impression was that it will be more along the lines of an Atrium Closed. I can order an Eikon today if I want, although I don't have any idea what Eikon Classic is.

Sep 17, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #763 of 1,481
My impression was that it will be more along the lines of an Atrium Closed. I can order an Eikon today if I want, although I don't have any idea what Eikon Classic is.
Eikon Classic is what I am thinking they did with Auteur Classic, just take the drivers and the Atrium damping system and retune the Eikon. I don't see how a closed back get's the Atrium effect. $1000 cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back