Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #556 of 1,480
Do you have the FV plugged directly into the wall socket or into any form of power conditioner (strip / component)?….there are ten tubes that need to get to stable operating conditions - any electrical ‘hiccups’ might (?) wreak havoc…🤷🏻‍♂️
Electrical issues is what I’m thinking. The FV is plugged into a power strip along with all the other audio gear. I left the FV on today for about 12 hours and no repeat, so whatever the issue was, I guess it’s gone for now.

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #557 of 1,480
Here’s a weird one for the experts (and maybe @Jason Stoddard ):

A couple days ago my FV started shutting off the audio and pre- outs. Turning off the unit and turning it back on would reset the outs for about 15 minutes then it would shut down again. I didn’t wait that long before turning it back on to reset whatever tripped (1 minute to about 20 minutes) but it was pretty consistent at shutting down 10-15 minutes after turning it back on, even after a complete tube change out.

I sent a message to Schiit and I’m waiting for an RA, but last night I missed listening to my FV so I turned it on and I figured I’d listen until it shut itself down. I listened for over 3 hours with no problems at all. Ambient temperature was about the same at 70 F, volume the same at about 70 dB, headphone and source the same, etc. The only thing different: Before it started tripping it had been on about 24 hours (forgot to turn it off before going to bed).

It seems to be at stable temperature within a couple hours so the only thing I can think is power quality was way off when it was tripping out. How likely is this? None of the other electronics (including the streamer, BF2, Saga) had any problems. I don’t think cooling is an issue- plenty of ventilation clearance
AB50B256-BB2E-49B0-9DC7-A30F18D57081.jpeg
It is likely an issue with one of the tubes. I had something similar happen and Schiit replaced the tubes. No issues after that.

I am sure Schiit will get you squared away.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #558 of 1,480
It is likely an issue with one of the tubes. I had something similar happen and Schiit replaced the tubes. No issues after that.

I am sure Schiit will get you squared away.
At this point I’m pretty sure it was power quality issues. I was walking the dog last night and noticed the local power company was taking down above ground electrical lines and installing buried lines in the neighborhood. I’d bet they caused some fluctuations doing it.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #559 of 1,480
Is it possible to use 12AT7 tubes with adapter in Folkvangr? Valhalla 2 can use it.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #563 of 1,480
With tubes…?…😏

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #564 of 1,480
Took a trip to the Schiit store in Santa Clarita from San Diego County just over 130 miles one way. I took my Denon AH-9200's and HD650's. The intent was just to listen to what they had. I have recently started using headphones since my wife of 36 years does not share my enthusiasm for my 2-channel system in my man cave. So as the saying goes, happy wife happy life. Started out with the HD650’s (open back) and my wife could hear what I was listening to and so I started the search for some closed back headphones. Then I purchased the AH-9200’s. My headphone journey started back in February of this year.

It was great trip even though we spent over 5 hours on the road round trip. They had the Folkvangr connected to the Gungnir DAC. I enjoyed the sound but the Folkvangr was lacking in power when I connected my HD650’s even the gain switch in the high position. Interesting enough I watched a video interview (Texas Audio Roundup – The Audio Belle) with Jason and he stated the HD6XX are not good pairing and stated the Folkvangr has a lot tubes but not a lot of power.

I was in the store for 3 hours listening to the different headphone amps and DAC’s. I purchased the Bifrost 2/64, Lokius, and Valhalla 2. However, I am still attracted to the Folkvnagr but the lack of power is concerning. Next month I plan to attend the SOCAL Can Jam. I am going to listen to the ZMF VC headphones and I am considering buying them. My concern is the ZMF VC and HD650’s are both 300 ohms for impedance. Will the same problem be present with the lack of power / volume?

I have read through this entire thread and others have switched tubes or suggested switching out the tubes and the price can reach 1k in tube replacement. One tube amp from Amps and Sound I listened to at The Show in Long Beach this year was the Amps and Sound Ovation Rev 2 (Kenzie) and I really enjoyed that tube amp but the cost of admission at $4,200 puts it in a different league. But with the tube switch out on the Folkvangr closes the gap.

I am still within the return window with the Schiit gear until this upcoming Monday.

Attachments

• schiit1.jpg
    schiit1.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 1, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #565 of 1,480
Took a trip to the Schiit store in Santa Clarita from San Diego County just over 130 miles one way. I took my Denon AH-9200's and HD650's. The intent was just to listen to what they had. I have recently started using headphones since my wife of 36 years does not share my enthusiasm for my 2-channel system in my man cave. So as the saying goes, happy wife happy life. Started out with the HD650’s (open back) and my wife could hear what I was listening to and so I started the search for some closed back headphones. Then I purchased the AH-9200’s. My headphone journey started back in February of this year.

It was great trip even though we spent over 5 hours on the road round trip. They had the Folkvangr connected to the Gungnir DAC. I enjoyed the sound but the Folkvangr was lacking in power when I connected my HD650’s even the gain switch in the high position. Interesting enough I watched a video interview (Texas Audio Roundup – The Audio Belle) with Jason and he stated the HD6XX are not good pairing and stated the Folkvangr has a lot tubes but not a lot of power.

I was in the store for 3 hours listening to the different headphone amps and DAC’s. I purchased the Bifrost 2/64, Lokius, and Valhalla 2. However, I am still attracted to the Folkvnagr but the lack of power is concerning. Next month I plan to attend the SOCAL Can Jam. I am going to listen to the ZMF VC headphones and I am considering buying them. My concern is the ZMF VC and HD650’s are both 300 ohms for impedance. Will the same problem be present with the lack of power / volume?

I have read through this entire thread and others have switched tubes or suggested switching out the tubes and the price can reach 1k in tube replacement. One tube amp from Amps and Sound I listened to at The Show in Long Beach this year was the Amps and Sound Ovation Rev 2 (Kenzie) and I really enjoyed that tube amp but the cost of admission at $4,200 puts it in a different league. But with the tube switch out on the Folkvangr closes the gap.

I am still within the return window with the Schiit gear until this upcoming Monday.
Congratulations on your purchases! Just an FYI, I believe the 650 our 600 ohms. The 660s is 300 ohms. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I often am!! LOL

Leo

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #566 of 1,480
They had the Folkvangr connected to the Gungnir DAC. I enjoyed the sound but the Folkvangr was lacking in power when I connected my HD650’s even the gain switch in the high position. Interesting enough I watched a video interview (Texas Audio Roundup – The Audio Belle) with Jason and he stated the HD6XX are not good pairing and stated the Folkvangr has a lot tubes but not a lot of power.

Interesting. "Lacking in power" with the HD-650 isn't my experience at all. (If that means loudness.)

I've listened to that combo on parts of probably 40 albums. Rock, blues, pop, reggae, jazz, international, a little classical. The majority are "comfortably loud" with the volume control at 10-11 o'clock, and vertical is too loud to listen to. Highest I recall having been at was about 12:30 on the dial.

My FV chain:
* Roon Nucleus --> Yggy LIM --> Folkvangr (high gain, stock tubes, impedance boost off) --> Senn HD-650.

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #567 of 1,480

Odd about the FV not pairing with the high impedance Senns but it is a finicky amp. I can confirm the FV works very nicely with the ZMFs especially the VCs. I don’t listen very loudly but the dynamics are very good even at low volume (I do run in high gain however but I avoid the impedance multiplier as it isn’t needed with the ZMFs). There is easily 3/4th of the volume range to spare to go louder.

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #568 of 1,480
Wasn't there a discussion very similar to this a week or so ago and there was a mistaken assumption about headphone impedances? The FV and most tube amps have difficulty with low impedance drivers, not high impedance, because the lower impedances require more current than what tubes in general can provide. Higher impedance drivers rely on higher voltages which tubes can manage easier.

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #569 of 1,480
Congratulations on your purchases! Just an FYI, I believe the 650 our 600 ohms. The 660s is 300 ohms. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I often am!! LOL

Leo
Senn HD660 is 150 ohms 😀.

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #570 of 1,480
Wasn't there a discussion very similar to this a week or so ago and there was a mistaken assumption about headphone impedances? The FV and most tube amps have difficulty with low impedance drivers, not high impedance, because the lower impedances require more current than what tubes in general can provide. Higher impedance drivers rely on higher voltages which tubes can manage easier…
…And not just higher steady voltages but higher voltage swings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back