Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #121 of 1,481
ZMF Aeolus: easily driven. Engaging the impedance multiplier fills out the bass substantially, sometimes a bit too much for my liking, depending on the track. Want a full, lush sound? This is at its best for me. Hopefully will spend some time tomorrow rearranging my rack so I can hook it up to my Gungnir.
20220702_200233.jpg

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #122 of 1,481
Click click click click click...the sound of the toasty Folkvangr powering down for the evening. I suspect a lot of owners will constantly switch the impedance multiplier on and off and adjust the volume trying to decide what sounds best. I think it will vary wildly from person to person, depending on what music you like, your particular headphones, and how strongly their presentation is affected by changing the impedance. So far the DCA Stealth and Hifiman Ananda ( the two planars I've tried so far) don't sound too different when flipping the switch. The ZMF Aeolus serves up some phat bass with the impedance bumped up. When listening to small jazz ensembles with upright bass, that rounded out the presentation very nicely.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #125 of 1,481
Got mine today! Been listening for about an hour or so. Really enjoying it so far!

Will post impressions and pics at some point after I have had more time to listen.

One thing I will note is that with the DCA Stealth, there is audible distortion (not the pleasant kind) in the bass at normal listening levels without the impedance multiplier on. Probably to be expected but just figured I would mention it.

EDIT: Seems that the distortion I mentioned in the bass for the DCA stealth is only really audible in high gain with the impedance multiplier off. However, I do have to crank the volume pretty high in low gain to get to my preferred listening level.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #126 of 1,481
Got mine today! Been listening for about an hour or so. Really enjoying it so far!

Will post impressions and pics at some point after I have had more time to listen.

One thing I will note is that with the DCA Stealth, there is audible distortion (not the pleasant kind) in the bass at normal listening levels without the impedance multiplier on. Probably to be expected but just figured I would mention it.

EDIT: Seems that the distortion I mentioned in the bass for the DCA stealth is only really audible in high gain with the impedance multiplier off. However, I do have to crank the volume pretty high in low gain to get to my preferred listening level.
Cool that you can even use the Stealth's. Their 23 ohm impedance would bring most any other OTL amp to its knees. Love the flexibility brought about with that impedance switch!

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #130 of 1,481
A friend just dropped off his HD800s, so now I have the following to try on the FV when it shows up:

Senn HD6XX
Senn HD800s
Focal Clear (OG)
ZMF Auteur
ZMF Verite Closed
MrSpeakers / DCA Aeon Flow Closed

I’m listening to the HD800s now on my WA6-SE and I have to say it’s a very nice sounding headphone. Very good at handling heavy layering. I think I rather fancy it.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #131 of 1,481
They look beautiful! I'm such a sucker for eclectic looking audio gear!

Thanks for the photos! Keep them coming!

I’m a sucker for utility. The more optimized a design is, the better I like it. In the case of Schiit, their enclosure design language indicates optimization in a number of ways, including parts standardization, durability, stacking, shipping, cooling, finishing, production volume, and I’m sure other things. To me it’s really cool they also made that optimization a trademark of the brand.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #132 of 1,481
I’m listening to the HD800s now on my WA6-SE and I have to say it’s a very nice sounding headphone. Very good at handling heavy layering. I think I rather fancy it.
I have the old school HD800 (sans S). I'll be curious to hear your impressions of the HD800S with FV. Wonder if there'll be much of a difference between the two?

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #133 of 1,481
Anyone have any definitive sound impressions of the FV? :)

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #134 of 1,481
I have the old school HD800 (sans S). I'll be curious to hear your impressions of the HD800S with FV. Wonder if there'll be much of a difference between the two?
The main difference between the HD 800 S and the HD 800 is that the 6kHz resonance is reduced in the HD 800 S, otherwise they should sound pretty similar.

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #135 of 1,481
Anyone have any definitive sound impressions of the FV? :)
I’m so anxious I would settle for vaguely definitive impressions. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back