Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #706 of 1,482
I'm feeding my WA22 with my FV today for the hell of it. ALL THE TUBES!

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #707 of 1,482
same issue with my FV. I've been told that the tubes needs to burn in. I don't know.
The issue was a cheap power strip. I changed it to a new Amazon Basics power strip and there is no hum :)

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #708 of 1,482
I'm feeding my WA22 with my FV today for the hell of it. ALL THE TUBES!
Just think…if you had a La Figaro 339i, dual mono configuration, you might feed it with two FVs - one per channel….🤪🤣.

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #709 of 1,482
The issue was a cheap power strip. I changed it to a new Amazon Basics power strip and there is no hum :)
Can you give me link what you bought? Thanks!

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #712 of 1,482
I have the same setup and I’m not convinced yet although I did here this recording last night that blew me away but nothing is broken in yet.
I've had the headphones for years so they're worked in well. I also use Matsushita 7dj8 driver tubes myself.

I just saw them last week, so they're getting a lot of playtime this week:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #713 of 1,482
Picked up the Folkvangr today from the Schiit store today. Very happy.

Attachments

• Schiit Folk.jpg
    Schiit Folk.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 11, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #715 of 1,482
I've had no hum issues at all with mine, but when I got it the volume pot had a loud scratching sound in both channels when rotated (with no signal). I ran it back and forth quite a bit thinking maybe there was some debris or film on the pot's wipers that would go away, but it didn't help. Was vacillating on sending it back to Schiit for a look, but in the meantime I pulled the 6N1P's out to try some 6N23P's. No more scratch. In the tester, one of the 6N1P's was fine, but the other had extremely high interelement leakage...enough to be getting close to a short. Not sure why the scratching sound was of equal volume in both channels, and can't say I've ever had a bad/marginal tube manifest itself in this particular manner before. But I've done several input tube swaps since then and no further issues, so I'm blaming the tube even if I don't fully understand the why's of it. I suppose I could ask Schiit to send me a new 6N1P (or pair), but as I wouldn't use them anyway I thought it a bit petty to waste their time with it. Currently rocking some D-getter Holland Amperex 6DJ8's that sound quite wonderful. And I haven't even started adapter-ing. Yet. 🤣
Wow, a close-to-short leakage seems quite bad.. I wonder if I have that in one of my input tubes also, as I’m having a similar issue with noise while moving the volume pot. I’ve thought nothing of it as it’s minor and only in the left channel, but I will switch to a fresh set of 6N1P-EV’s I have in my stash and see if it goes away.

Sep 11, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #716 of 1,482
I though I share a riser for my setup. Since I have limited space around my desk, I purchased a monitor riser from Amazon for $24 last night and it arrived at 5 AM this morning. It works great. I am experiencing static when I turn the volume pot. When playing music it is not notable.

Attachments

• schiit riser.jpg
    schiit riser.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 11, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #717 of 1,482
Wow, a close-to-short leakage seems quite bad.. I wonder if I have that in one of my input tubes also, as I’m having a similar issue with noise while moving the volume pot. I’ve thought nothing of it as it’s minor and only in the left channel, but I will switch to a fresh set of 6N1P-EV’s I have in my stash and see if it goes away.
Yup, noise when turning the pot is gone with the new tubes in. Looking at the stock tubes removed more closely they are one Novosibirsk 6N1P-VI from 1989 and one Voskhod 6N1P from 1976.

With that sorted, I thought I’d put some bigger boys in for a spin :dt880smile:
144F7191-0152-48B9-AF70-0DD39805F776.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back