Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #691 of 1,482
First impressions are very good. With HD800S I noticed very nice and big soundstage with an excelent separation and layering. But I also hear a lot of hum - the more tubes are heated, more hum i listen. Anybody else have such an experience?
Try re-seating all of the tubes. If that doesn't help, you may have a grounding issue at your outlet.

Sep 9, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #692 of 1,482
First impressions are very good. With HD800S I noticed very nice and big soundstage with an excelent separation and layering. But I also hear a lot of hum - the more tubes are heated, more hum i listen. Anybody else have such an experience?

As pretty as your Schiit stack looks, I suspect you have magnetically induced hum from the proximity of the two pieces of gear. Give them some space, I'd wager it goes away.

Sep 9, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #693 of 1,482
Nope… I’ve run the stock tubes for the first several weeks and have since rolled all the tubes ( + several sets of 6n1p alternatives) and haven’t had any noise/hum issues. Just crackle when it’s turned off. I am primarily listening with 800s as well.

I think @Beefy is right…the stack may be the issue. Jason does mention that as a thing to be aware of.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #694 of 1,482
A lot of us stack the folkvangr, but you should probably get taller feet to separate...

Attachments

• 20220909_074719.jpg
    20220909_074719.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #695 of 1,482
Nope… I’ve run the stock tubes for the first several weeks and have since rolled all the tubes ( + several sets of 6n1p alternatives) and haven’t had any noise/hum issues. Just crackle when it’s turned off. I am primarily listening with 800s as well.
The crackle is so awesome.

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #697 of 1,482
As pretty as your Schiit stack looks, I suspect you have magnetically induced hum from the proximity of the two pieces of gear. Give them some space, I'd wager it goes away.
I'm stacked identically and no hum. Well, maybe a tiny little bit on high gain with Grado's, but not lo gain and not at all with 6xx. Full vol no signal I get nothing.

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #698 of 1,482
When i raise the Folkvanger, hum intensity is still the same. Its also independed at volume level. Just the tube heat matters. No hum with Valhalla. Ill try reseating or change tubes but it may be grounding issue.

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #699 of 1,482
No. Hum free unless I go past about 3:00 on the volume dial in high gain. Nada in low gain. One of the things that impressed me about the FV is how quiet it is compared to the Woo WA6-SE. It also seems well shielded from a nearby wifi station (which I can hear on the Woo).

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #700 of 1,482
When i raise the Folkvanger, hum intensity is still the same. Its also independed at volume level. Just the tube heat matters. No hum with Valhalla. Ill try reseating or change tubes but it may be grounding issue.
Had a similar problem once and used the below. Solved the problem, though I have no idea how it works. That said, the fact that noise increases as the tubes warm up suggests it may be a bad gain tube (6N1P), though most likely you would only hear it on one side.

https://audio46.com/products/ifi-silent-power-gnd-defender?currency=USD&variant=39595497291966&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfaVq4aI-gIVCxpMCh1gAQ4_EAQYASABEgJeePD_BwE

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #701 of 1,482
Had a similar problem once and used the below. Solved the problem, though I have no idea how it works. That said, the fact that noise increases as the tubes warm up suggests it may be a bad gain tube (6N1P), though most likely you would only hear it on one side.

https://audio46.com/products/ifi-silent-power-gnd-defender?currency=USD&variant=39595497291966&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfaVq4aI-gIVCxpMCh1gAQ4_EAQYASABEgJeePD_BwE
Maybe i will try, thank you. When other sets of 6N6P arrive, I also try to change them. Changing 6N1P do not help.

Sep 9, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #702 of 1,482
I use the Folkvangr with impedance multiplier on with my Grado GS3000e. Sounds very good. As does the LCD4. I believe Jason has mentioned he uses Grado headphones with it as well. It is more flexible than many believe. I thought it sounded pretty good with my Focal as well.
The Koss KPH30i with the Grado like ear pads mod, works well with the impedance multiplier too.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #703 of 1,482
Maybe i will try, thank you. When other sets of 6N6P arrive, I also try to change them. Changing 6N1P do not help.
Have different amount of hum left/right?
Try to swap all 6N6P tubes from the left side to the right side and vice versa. If the hum also switches sides, swap tubes left to right again but pair by pair. When the hum moves again you’ve found the offending tube. Maybe not worth the hassle, but it should work..

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #704 of 1,482
I've had no hum issues at all with mine, but when I got it the volume pot had a loud scratching sound in both channels when rotated (with no signal). I ran it back and forth quite a bit thinking maybe there was some debris or film on the pot's wipers that would go away, but it didn't help. Was vacillating on sending it back to Schiit for a look, but in the meantime I pulled the 6N1P's out to try some 6N23P's. No more scratch. In the tester, one of the 6N1P's was fine, but the other had extremely high interelement leakage...enough to be getting close to a short. Not sure why the scratching sound was of equal volume in both channels, and can't say I've ever had a bad/marginal tube manifest itself in this particular manner before. But I've done several input tube swaps since then and no further issues, so I'm blaming the tube even if I don't fully understand the why's of it. I suppose I could ask Schiit to send me a new 6N1P (or pair), but as I wouldn't use them anyway I thought it a bit petty to waste their time with it. Currently rocking some D-getter Holland Amperex 6DJ8's that sound quite wonderful. And I haven't even started adapter-ing. Yet. 🤣

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #705 of 1,482
same issue with my FV. I've been told that the tubes needs to burn in. I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back