Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Aug 2, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #1,096 of 1,112
Aug 4, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #1,097 of 1,112
I hate it when people point out my logical inconsistencies. You're right: WAVE files should sound fine regardless of platform, since they are bit-perfect. But, iTunes doesn't enable any upsampling, as does Audirvana, and I've discovered that I like that subtle difference.

BitPerfect enables upsampling from within iTunes.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #1,098 of 1,112
I've posted some measurements of a few DDCs/Streamers here if anyone might be interested:

Audio-GD DI-20HE (Got a brand new unit arriving today so will re-measure at somepoint):
https://goldensound.audio/2021/07/22/audio-gd-di20he-measurements/

ifi Zen Stream:
https://goldensound.audio/2021/07/22/ifi-zen-stream-measurements/

pi2design Pi2AES:
https://goldensound.audio/2021/07/22/pi2aes-streamer-measurements-and-5v-psu-mod-instructions/

Singxer SU-6:
https://goldensound.audio/2021/08/01/singxer-su6-measurements/

Have you measured Bel Canto and JAVS?

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #1,100 of 1,112
Hmm, after 2-3 years of use, my Eitr suddenly stopped working with any bitrate > 16/44.1. In Audirvana settings, it registers as supporting only 16/44.1, although, previously it showed all the way up to 192 and DSD. Its no longer under warranty, so contacting Schiit would be pointless I guess.

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #1,101 of 1,112
BitPerfect enables upsampling from within iTunes.
Thanks. I wasn't familiar with BitPerfect, and am reading about it now. I like using Audirvana (the original, not the Studio), but there are lots and lots of bugs in it. It occasionally is very frustrating to use, particularly since it keeps stopping whenever my a/c turns on and the voltage/amperage at the outlet fluctuates.

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,102 of 1,112
New to this thread and I apologize if this has been posted before, but I didn't read through the thread first. If anyone is setting up JRiver Media Center for Windows and using an Eitr, make sure you make a couple of settings changes to avoid having no volume control at your preamp or pre-pro:
Tools -> Options -> Audio -> Volume -> Volume Mode: Internal Volume
Tools -> Options -> General -> Advanced -> Media key mode: Hot keys (ignore volume)

Either one or the other may fix the problem, but I made both settings at the same time, it worked and I didn't look back.

Incidentally, I also have Windows 10 set to Exclusive Mode and Windows volume 100%.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #1,106 of 1,112
Why use the Eitr when you've got Unison for BF2?
Because for me, in my system, I have a noisy PC as the source and Eitr has provided a dramatically noticeable improvement. This is from testing with 2 sep computers. 1: an older desktop model and 2: a barebones NUC.

Unfortunately or fortunately, the Eitr has been incredible. Again, just looking for anyone else who has tried this. Not looking to get into a debate :)

Oct 17, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #1,107 of 1,112
Why use the Eitr when you've got Unison for BF2?
Unison USB in the Schiitr products won't provide full noise immunity.

It's using transformer based galvanic isolation (with further filtering) so AC noise can still pass through.

Still way better than most direct connected implementations though, and full optical isolation would likely have kicked the price up substantially

Oct 17, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #1,108 of 1,112
Unison USB in the Schiitr products won't provide full noise immunity.

It's using transformer based galvanic isolation (with further filtering) so AC noise can still pass through.

Still way better than most direct connected implementations though, and full optical isolation would likely have kicked the price up substantially
Thanks for this! You really do also have to trust your ears. Optical has been incredible. Even further bucking the trend: NOS mode has been incredible and my preferred listening mode.

Oct 17, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #1,109 of 1,112
Because for me, in my system, I have a noisy PC as the source and Eitr has provided a dramatically noticeable improvement. This is from testing with 2 sep computers. 1: an older desktop model and 2: a barebones NUC.

Unfortunately or fortunately, the Eitr has been incredible. Again, just looking for anyone else who has tried this. Not looking to get into a debate :)

Glad to hear it! I enjoyed eitrs sound in my 2ch setup however I didn't get noise with either one. I've got filtered power and a modern desktop however.

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #1,110 of 1,112

Basically the Eitr is acting like a voltage arrestor but same can be done with any other DDC with USB to SPDIF conversion. The fact that you need it in normal operation says volumes about the degradation you are getting from system electrical noise. NUC's are pretty decent if you run them off an LPS and the BIOS has good options to reduce
electrical noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back