Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Apr 11, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,082 of 1,112
I'd make no sense for Schiit to offer a Unison USB to SPDIF and/or AES standalone converter. Why would they go thru all the trouble and time to develop a whole new USB audio interface and not make it exclusive to Schiit DACs?

I know Schiit is known for going against the grain so I guess we never know. Maybe they will release a Unison-based DDC but it's not likely. If I remember correctly, Jason said they stopped making Eitr because sales weren't that good.
i disagree.. modded kitsune singxers go for a higher price than most of their product line up..

i'm not a fan of schiit DACs until you get to Gumby and I sold mine, have a better one, imo.

I'd like to try a Yaggy but only the newest model.. and// $2500.

my preamp is better than the their Freya+, by a margin.. i had one of those too, sold it.

if they sold a nice DDC for $5-700, I'm sure a lot of folk would buy it. I would.. where as I'm not going to give them any $ if they don't.

As you said, they have the tech.. keeping it locked into their DACs is, imo, a poor decision.. it's all about the units and revenue.

Their tech in a DDC could be a gateway purchase to their other gear.. instead it's a walled garden/ silly and short sighted.

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #1,084 of 1,112
I do
Whether or not you like Schiit products, that's a matter of personal taste and preferences. I just don't think that Schiit will sell a DDC for $500-$700, given that Eitr (I think it was originally $200) was cancelled due to low sales.
not sure low sales was the reason they cancelled it..

by setting that price point above, I was suggesting that they make a higher end DDC, competitive with Denafrips, Singxer Kitsune maybe even Innuous.. not re-releasing a low end, get it done unit like the EITR. most of my issues with Schiit kit is that they use cheaper parts, and don't have SE versions.

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #1,085 of 1,112
The Eitr PSU is 6V AC, not DC. Take the advice provided in the manual, and don't use anything else, or you may cause irreparable damage. DC supplied from the SBooster could be fatal.

I do have a suggestion that worked for me though. Depending on your source, you might benefit from upgrading the USB power supply to the Eitr. I have done this in two ways; 1. A dual-head USB cable (one USB B, two USB A) with an upgraded power supply on the 5V power leg, or 2. An iFi Audio iDefender with outboard 5V power supply.

IME, a USB cleaner is helpful too. I use an iPurifier2 with good results. I was not happy with the bare Eitr. The improved USB power and iPurifier made a huge improvement.

For 5V DC you may consider Aurorasound Bus Power Pro. It completely cuts off USB power from a computer and deliver a clean one over outgoing USB.
http://www.aurorasound.jp/product/buspower.html (no personal association with the company, but I use their product).

May 9, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #1,086 of 1,112
More updates on my Eitr situation:
1. Am enjoying it!
2. Shifting some stuff to another outlet help reduce occurances of the Eitr blinking and stopping audio. Now at least my house's water heater do not cause this
3. LSR 305 speakers are still causing this issue whenever they are switched on/off
4. Project Ember tube amp also causes this issue only when its SMPS is plugged in/out of the amp. Leaving it plugged in and switching it on/off will not cause the problem
5. Gave another Eitr to my friend who uses a Topping DX7s. It improved that drastically! Also, he did not face any issue, so clearly my issues are due to me somehow (yes I have tested both Eitrs before giving that Eitr away, both Eitrs have same issue on my side but not on his)
6. Appears to me that the Eitr is quite sensitive to bad power (e.g. heavy usage on the circuit, many SMPS etc)?

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #1,088 of 1,112
More updates on my Eitr situation:
1. Am enjoying it!
2. Shifting some stuff to another outlet help reduce occurances of the Eitr blinking and stopping audio. Now at least my house's water heater do not cause this
3. LSR 305 speakers are still causing this issue whenever they are switched on/off
4. Project Ember tube amp also causes this issue only when its SMPS is plugged in/out of the amp. Leaving it plugged in and switching it on/off will not cause the problem
5. Gave another Eitr to my friend who uses a Topping DX7s. It improved that drastically! Also, he did not face any issue, so clearly my issues are due to me somehow (yes I have tested both Eitrs before giving that Eitr away, both Eitrs have same issue on my side but not on his)
6. Appears to me that the Eitr is quite sensitive to bad power (e.g. heavy usage on the circuit, many SMPS etc)?
i have the 'occurrences' of stopping audio.. wasn't aware the EITR was causing it. i thought my streamer was puking up. it doesn't happen often but now your post has me thinking.

currently, my non-amp gear is running through a Blue Circle Thingee 6 outlet conditioner, which may be delivering an uptick in SQ but it didn't help the surprise 'no music' instances.

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #1,090 of 1,112
i have the 'occurrences' of stopping audio.. wasn't aware the EITR was causing it. i thought my streamer was puking up. it doesn't happen often but now your post has me thinking.

currently, my non-amp gear is running through a Blue Circle Thingee 6 outlet conditioner, which may be delivering an uptick in SQ but it didn't help the surprise 'no music' instances.

Yeah, seems to me the Eitr is sensitive to such electrical changes but thanks for testing out the "separating other stuff to an audio power conditioner" idea; almost wanted to do that too

Though I must say that as long I keep the Project Ember plugged in (but no need to switch it on 24/7 thankfully) and keep the JBL LSR 305 switched on at all times, there is no problems with the Eitr

Another workaround is to switch the Eitr on only when it is needed and the Eitr should be the last component of your audio chain to be switched on

So in my case, it would be the speakers first, followed by my amp and then the Eitr (my Modi Multibit will be always on due to its multibit nature requiring it to be on standby at all times for best performance)

My suspicion is that the LSR 305 and the Project Ember have delayed start up mechanisms (i.e. you can hear audio only after 30 to 45 seconds from switching on the devices) that do not play nice with the Eitr. It may have something to do with the way they draw in power for this

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #1,091 of 1,112
Yeah, seems to me the Eitr is sensitive to such electrical changes but thanks for testing out the "separating other stuff to an audio power conditioner" idea; almost wanted to do that too

Though I must say that as long I keep the Project Ember plugged in (but no need to switch it on 24/7 thankfully) and keep the JBL LSR 305 switched on at all times, there is no problems with the Eitr

Another workaround is to switch the Eitr on only when it is needed and the Eitr should be the last component of your audio chain to be switched on

So in my case, it would be the speakers first, followed by my amp and then the Eitr (my Modi Multibit will be always on due to its multibit nature requiring it to be on standby at all times for best performance)

My suspicion is that the LSR 305 and the Project Ember have delayed start up mechanisms (i.e. you can hear audio only after 30 to 45 seconds from switching on the devices) that do not play nice with the Eitr. It may have something to do with the way they draw in power for this
I have an Eitr between my computer music storage (USB) and my Benchmark DAC (S/PDIF), and then to my preamp and amp and loudspeakers. I've been using Audirvana as the music software. The problem is Audirvana suddenly stops working for no apparent reason after ten minutes or so. I select another tune, and it begins again. Then, after awhile it stops. It also stops when the central a/c in my house clicks on, so the voltage sensitivity suggestion makes sense. But, it stops while the a/c is running, as well.

I tried using iTunes instead of Audirvana with the Eitr, and ... no problem with stopping. The music plays fine, but the quality is iTunes (WAVE files, but iTunes is unsatisfactory).

I also use Audirvana with my desktop/headphone system, i.e., computer to Moon 100D DAC, and then to a Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp. No problem with stopping.

Any ideas what's causing this? Needless to say, it's very frustrating.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #1,092 of 1,112
I tried using iTunes instead of Audirvana with the Eitr, and ... no problem with stopping. The music plays fine, but the quality is iTunes (WAVE files, but iTunes is unsatisfactory).

iTunes + BitPerfect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back