Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Sep 6, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #992 of 1,112
Mine just started doing the same thing and it's under 3 months old - bstock. And that's on a windows 10 machine. The unit most likely needs to be serviced, or at least that's the answer I got from support.
Mine finally bit the dust. I was afraid of that when I started having the flashing issue. Tried it on two computers and it will no longer make a connection. At only 3 months old your EITR is under warranty where mine is not any longer. Closeout sale is tempting but this will push me to get a Bifrost 2 with Unison

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #993 of 1,112
I bought an Eitr recently because I needed to link my laptop to my DAC and the USB input was already taken up by an sMS-200. Initial sound was disappointing, thin and hashy. An iFi iPurifier2 added weight and cleaned up the sound, but still not quite satisfactory. I know the USB power from my laptop is terrible, so I added a Ghent Audio dual-head USB cable, with an iPower providing 5V. This did the trick.

The Eitr is really good now, very close to the sMS-200 Neo, but the sms is powered by a linear power supply, which bests the iPower SMPS. Were I to replace the iPower on the Eitr with an LPS, the playing field would be equalized. I don't have any plan to do that in the foreseeable future. I am very happy with the sound quality now. I can listen for hours with no thought of needing to improve it. Sometimes I can't recall which I'm listening to, have to look.

The close-out price was a great deal. Looks like the last one has been sold now.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #995 of 1,112
Were I to replace the iPower on the Eitr with an LPS, the playing field would be equalized.

The close-out price was a great deal. Looks like the last one has been sold now.
The Eitr's stock power supply is already a linear power supply, if I remember correctly.

Yep, seems like they had a ton of leftover Eitrs. They kept adding them to the B-stock page in batches of 10 for months. Was wondering when it was gonna end. I bought 2.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #996 of 1,112

Attachments

• Ghent Y-cable.jpg
    Ghent Y-cable.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,000 of 1,112
Well Schiit will be releasing their transport soon, that might be a good option above this directly from Schiit. Another option a few of my colleges have used is the X-SPDIF 2

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,002 of 1,112
Whoa, sounds like Schiit is going into interesting times. How would a transport help in being a replacement for Eitr?
I believe it has both Unison In and out, along with other digital(coax) in's and out's along with cd playback. it is claimed to be the size of a Freya. So it is similar to a super Eitr with CD playback and a screen.

Oct 9, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #1,004 of 1,112
True. So the Ghent cable replaces the source's 5V bus power with the one coming from the iPower. Got it.
Today I replaced the iPower with a Topping P50 linear power supply and got a good bump in SQ. Really nice now; very detailed and accurate, smooth and musical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back