Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Aug 19, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #976 of 1,112
Sorry guys if it is already answered, can't read the whole thread (chronic eye strain), but can you suggest some similar USB to SPDIF/coax converters like the Eitr or Topping D10, hopefully for 50$ or less, but as clean as those? I really don't need any functionality, just as clean USB to SPDIF/coax conversion as possible, nothing else. Maybe the D10 is my cheapest option?

You perhaps could just try buying Douk Audio or Breeze Audio one, they are cheap. Cannot personally confirm how they perform at the moment, but will perhaps buy of those later, as Eitr surprisingly doesn't have optical out.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #977 of 1,112
Is there a cheap and easy way to connect an Eitr to two DACs, at the same time and without degrading the signal? I'd like to only have one Device presented to my Laptop and Windows, so I don't have to keep changing the Output Device and not have to swap SPDIF cables.

You can use their SYS passive amp backwards. One source (Etir) in and two out to the dacs. However you'll have to select between the two dacs: that is they won't both be on at the same time.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #978 of 1,112
My Eitr suddenly started flashing the LED light and not showing up in my sound preferences on my iMac. It's been working fine for a couple of years now so I was wondering if anyone else has had USB connection issues with the latest mac updates? I changed USB ports, which shouldn't matter but does for some things photo or sound related. I pulled the power and cycled it off/on since that fixed other problems like the occasional ringing echo that pops up once a year or so. That didn't work either. Edit: Also tried changing USB cables and using a laptop with a different OS version. LED keeps flashing which means it can't connect to USB. I emailed Schiit support but if this has happened to anyone here and you have a fix let me know.

Mine just started doing the same thing and it's under 3 months old - bstock. And that's on a windows 10 machine. The unit most likely needs to be serviced, or at least that's the answer I got from support.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #979 of 1,112
I believe you can connect Eitr output to one dac spdif coax and another dac with optical at the same time. I have mine connected to both inputs on the same dac and can switch from coax to optical midstream. My Mac only sees the eitr whichever dac input chosen.

Not sure if there was an earlier version that had more than just the one SPDIF Output, but mine only has the one SPDIF out. Unless your saying you are using the Optical Out on your Mac, which my Laptop does not have. Even if it did, that still would still require switching the Audio Output on the Laptop/Software from the Internal Soundcard to the Eitr.

You can use their SYS passive amp backwards. One source (Etir) in and two out to the dacs. However you'll have to select between the two dacs: that is they won't both be on at the same time.

I'm not sure, would the SYS handle a SPDIF signal, which is Digital? I mean the SYS is for Analog signals from RCA connections, I'm under the impression they are not interchangeable.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #980 of 1,112
Mine just started doing the same thing and it's under 3 months old - bstock. And that's on a windows 10 machine. The unit most likely needs to be serviced, or at least that's the answer I got from support.
My Eitr finally connected and started working later in the day after finding out it's out of warranty. I did all the usual trouble shooting/plugging and unplugging and nothing happened so I put it back in the original chain with original cables and noticed a few hours later that it stopped flashing and had made the USB connection. Hopefully it was just some electrical voodoo that won't happen again.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #981 of 1,112
My Eitr finally connected and started working later in the day after finding out it's out of warranty. I did all the usual trouble shooting/plugging and unplugging and nothing happened so I put it back in the original chain with original cables and noticed a few hours later that it stopped flashing and had made the USB connection. Hopefully it was just some electrical voodoo that won't happen again.
Hum... I powered down the laptop and the Eitr, and haven't turned them in for a day or two... I'll have to see what happens 😂

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #983 of 1,112

Hmm, that iFi SPDIF iPurifier is interesting, but for that price I'd just get an Audio-GD DI-20. Much more flexibility; I could connect my PC and new Rpi streamer at the same time and output to several devices. I'm thinking of something like ~$30, otherwise I'd just get a Digital Interface/DDC type device.

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #984 of 1,112
Hmm, that iFi SPDIF iPurifier is interesting, but for that price I'd just get an Audio-GD DI-20. Much more flexibility; I could connect my PC and new Rpi streamer at the same time and output to several devices. I'm thinking of something like ~$30, otherwise I'd just get a Digital Interface/DDC type device.

Audio-GD products are quite poor on measurements.

Aug 22, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #985 of 1,112
This is very encouraging! I was going to get a Wyrd to use with Chord Hugo, but now I'll get the Eitr instead.

Have you found it useful with Hugo?

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #987 of 1,112
Since the EITR is impossible to obtain new, other than B-Stock, I have been looking at alternatives. The D10s with separate 5v injection at the USB-B plug by a decent power supply, is certainly a worthy contender. I have also tried the Singxer F1 (Euro equivalent), with the same 5v injection technique, then coax to a Coax/Toslink converter, using Toslink as the input to my Gungnir. For the power supply I do use an Uptone UltraCap LPS-1, which is expensive but worthwhile. This sounds better to my ears than EITR (more refined) and is currently my favourite front-end solution feeding the DAC.

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #988 of 1,112
Since the EITR is impossible to obtain new, other than B-Stock
That's not entirely true. Schiit's website has them on closeout right now for $89. From their definition of a closeout product: "These products are standard A-stock, but are past the end of their production life. As with B-stock, these products are fully tested and meet all of their original performance standards."

So they're new Eitrs but that are past end of production (I believe end of production was 2018 or 2019). I personally bought 2 Eitrs in closeout sale recently and have been happy with both.

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #989 of 1,112
Those remaining 115v EITR are cheap at $89, compared to their original price. I should have qualified my statement by mentioning 230v units (I'm in Europe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back