Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Oct 13, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #287 of 1,112
one curious question - what should I set my Eitr windows sound format to? 16bit 48000hz?
Good question I just pulled it up on my iMac And it is showing 16bit 48000hz For me as well. Should I change To 44100.0Hz 16bit Or leave it the way it is?

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #291 of 1,112
Oct 14, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #295 of 1,112
does that mean Windows will try to upsample the files to 24/192?
upload_2017-10-14_10-25-24.png

Here is the window where you set it. Windows will upsample only when used in shared mode. That is if you use the system default audio device after you assign Eitr to be your system default audio device, which I don't do. My built-in sound card connected to my computer speakers is system default.

When used in ASIO or WASAPI mode the application (JRiver, Foobar etc.) will have an exclusive access and will be able to send the stream in whatever sample rate.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #296 of 1,112

Here is the window where you set it. Windows will upsample only when used in shared mode. That is if you use the system default audio device after you assign Eitr to be your system default audio device, which I don't do. My built-in sound card connected to my computer speakers is system default.

When used in ASIO or WASAPI mode the application (JRiver, Foobar etc.) will have an exclusive access and will be able to send the stream in whatever sample rate.
Interesting. I've seen these initials many times, but never knew what they related to or what they stood for (as I am Mac user). Does WASAPI stand for Windows Audio Settings API? What does ASIO stand for? Audio System Input Output? It seems the (non-intuitively named) Speakers control panel functions equivalently/analogously to the Mac Audio Midi Setup control panel.

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #297 of 1,112
Interesting. I've seen these initials many times, but never knew what they related to or what they stood for (as I am Mac user). Does WASAPI stand for Windows Audio Settings API? What does ASIO stand for? Audio System Input Output? It seems the (non-intuitively named) Speakers control panel functions equivalently/analogously to the Mac Audio Midi Setup control panel.
No, WASAPI is Windows Audio Session API (and API stands for Advanced Programming Interface). And ASIO is Audio Stream Input/Output. Here and here are shorter explanations.

To me Windows' "Speakers" sounds more intuitive than Mac's "Midi" because it has nothing to do with Midi setup. In computer hardware hierarchy there can be several sound cards (called "sound controllers" in Windows) and each card can have several sound outputs such as S/PDIF (Coax and optical), Midi, AES/EBU, regular line out, amplified for headphones etc. Windows calls "line-out" as "Speakers".

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #298 of 1,112
No, WASAPI is Windows Audio Session API (and API stands for Advanced Programming Interface). And ASIO is Audio Stream Input/Output. Here and here are shorter explanations.

To me Windows' "Speakers" sounds more intuitive than Mac's "Midi" because it has nothing to do with Midi setup. In computer hardware hierarchy there can be several sound cards (called "sound controllers" in Windows) and each card can have several sound outputs such as S/PDIF (Coax and optical), Midi, AES/EBU, regular line out, amplified for headphones etc. Windows calls "line-out" as "Speakers".
Thanks.

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #299 of 1,112
I use WASAPI to listen to my music without being interrupted by other programs since it takes over the sound card directly instead of being shared by many programs

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #300 of 1,112
To my ears KS (Kernel Sreaming) in foobar sounds slightly better than WASAPI. But it's a small difference. Like 1% more musical. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back