Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by ScareDe2, Jul 23, 2017.
First

Back
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Next

Last
  1. Puma Cat
    Well, tell your brother it's pretty dang. cool. Your brother could start a little "cottage industry" business building and selling these racks to Schiit-sters.

zztopps likes this.
  2. jodokus
    I did extensive a-b-ing between Asio and Wasapi and always favoured Asio in multiple setups. Wasapi sounds dryer/flatter/less wide according to my ears. Asio sounds more extended in highs and lows and more lush. I think you get the most of Asio when you use a dedicated driver.

3. Ableza
    Please, let's not turn yet another thread into a cable debate. If they work for you then more power to you. End of story.

showme99 and Letmebefrank like this.
  4. jseymour
    What is your opinion of using the generic ASIO driver with the Eitr?

5. jodokus
    It sounds better than Wasapi (again, my ears), but latency can't be too low and it gives me glitches every 5 minutes or so... Really annoying, because it could be end game for a while.

6. Marlowe
    Err, exactly my point. What made it unclear to you?

7. TheGame21x
    Well, after waiting a month on the backorder and USPS taking 7 days to deliver a "Priority Mail 2-Day" package (knew I should've went with Fed-Ex), I finally, FINALLY got my Eitr. I immediately plugged it in to my Modi Multibit and I noticed an immediate improvement over the TOSLINK out I was using from my motherboard. It could be the "new toy" honeymoon period talking but so far, this little guy appears to be worth the price of entry. I'll have to do some serious A-B testing to see if the coax input is really that much better than the optical out of my motherboard but regardless, I'm pleased with the performance of the Eitr and it's earned its spot in my set up so far.

8. exdmd
    Some claim that the Eitr makes all USB cables sound the same. We are finding out now that is just not true. If you are using a mid-fi system built around a low cost Schiit stack that might be true, but on a highly resolving system USB cables do make an audible difference. The problem is the better sounding cables are expensive and are not worth the expense unless you have a truly high end system. However, it is much less expensive to add more resolving cables to Etir than go with Rednet.

As I use Eitr more with different USB and S/PDIF cables if I notice an audible difference the higher end guys should know about I will certainly share.

9. TheGame21x
    :point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

Cable debates (ESPECIALLY digital) are...bleh.

10. Svatopluk
    I'm using a ten dollar Belkin Gold USB cable and Signal Cable coax with the Eitr. It's a noticeable improvement over the Wyrd which has since been relegated to duty in the workout room.

11. ScareDe2
    I do feel that Kernel Streaming (KS) output in foobar2000 gives superior result than both ASIO and WASAPI. It is a very *slight improvement though. Less than 5%, but once you try KS you might not want to look back. The music has a better flow and sounds less "digital".

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_ks

*one slight improvement can cost more than $200. Here it is free.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  12. jodokus
    I don’t agree, but I think it differs from driver to driver. Just check all three and decide which one you like the most (asio, wasapi, ks).

13. hornytoad
    Well I just hooked up the Eitr to my mac ,Jotenheim and MB Modi.

Superb improvement as the the sound is fuller ,more spacious and detailed. I found myself turning down the volume
    from the level I normally have it , a sure sign that the noise floor has dropped.

A steal at the price it is sold at.

14. ScareDe2
    Might also has a bit to do with the music itself. I listen to music that covers wide range of frequencies. A slight glare or digital noise added is better perceived when the music plays at that same frequency where the noise is. Just saying. But I agree at the end it is best to try all output and decide with our own ears what is best.

Another good free improvement is to resynch internet time by left clicking on the time at the bottom right of your screen (window 7), change date and time settings, internet time, change settings, Update now. Bingo. Another 5% improvement for free. :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  15. exdmd
    I agree about the AudioQuest Diamond USB. Trying the Mad Scientist FCG digital cable from the Eitr to DAC+ right now still forming an opinion. Also trying out the DigiFlex Gold Digital Audio Cable from River Cable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
First

Back
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Next

Last