Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
May 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #3,241 of 3,339
Quote:
I have the Bifrost and have the clicking problem. The connection is coax from CD player.
It occurs between tracks. The player is also a 6 disc carousel and it will click continuously
if I hit pause - and doesn't stop until I resume play.  I was in contact with Jason Stoddard
at Schiit and here's what he said...
"Yep, if the CD player interrupts the data stream, Bifrost will click. That's the muting relay, doing its job."
cleardot.gif

" Bifrost's mute activates every time there's an interruption in the data stream. Some CD players have constant, repetitive interruption when in pause. The only real solution is to use a different player or computer source, I'm afraid."
So, what seems like a real design flaw is apparently 'Working As Designed'.

I agree - those CD player manufacturers should really get their act together!

May 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #3,245 of 3,339
Just trying the Woo wa6 off the back of the Modi,(out of my iMac), for the first time.
QUITE nice.

Haven't had any issues with the Modi yet, did have some clicky/scratchy noises with the BiFrost--->Lyr.
Most of the issues resolved with changing to the optical link, the USB wasn't happy for the BiFrost.
The BF/Lyr combi is strictly for my LCD2s, I think I shall only DAC the Woo with the Modi in future, it's just such a nice match.
The Mullard/Amperex metal base on there REALLY likes the Modi, too.
Happy clams all the way around on this.

o2smile.gif

May 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,246 of 3,339
Can anyone else here some computer noise through the bifrost when using USB? Past 12 oclock on my amp dial  I can here a lot of distortion being passed through to the Bifrost. When my video card is under load I can here even more noise.

May 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #3,249 of 3,339
Quote:
Can anyone else here some computer noise through the bifrost when using USB? Past 12 oclock on my amp dial  I can here a lot of distortion being passed through to the Bifrost. When my video card is under load I can here even more noise.

Set all system sounds to mute and also disable Windows Aero. (Google how to if you don't know)

May 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3,251 of 3,339
Quote:
Try another USB port or a USB hub. Had the same problem but using the hub fixed it. Or use optical. Comes down to crappy shielding on your system.

This might be why Jason recommended SPDIF to me over USB (instead of up-selling me to the USB board), it seems to be a more solid implementation for audio. Just my two cents.

May 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #3,254 of 3,339
My Uber card arrived and I installed it. Aligning the LEDs is a bitch...

Yes the upgrade makes a difference, I was happy before - but now the soundstage is even more exact and I enjoy my music even more.

The Highs seem sweeter, if that makes any sense at all...

Listened to some fav tracks before upgrade and straight after, so obviously no A/B testing.

I am glad I upgraded, but Schiit also forgot to include the sticker with my upgrade, so I will contact Jason.

May 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #3,255 of 3,339
Quote:
His is clearly different than the picture provided of the stock analog stage of the Bifrost on the Schiit website. The topology does look much more similar to the analog stage of the Gungnir. You can see something at the top of the PCB that looks like "v2.3", can't make out the other words though. Also, if you look you can also see that it says "Thanks to Siegfried Erda and Loge" at the edge of the PCB, that line also shows up on the analog stages of the Gungnir on the Schiit website. Maybe there have been unannounced revisions to the Bifrost, or maybe he got lucky and got a free Uber board 
size]

That's a revision of the original board. The giveaway is the presence of four red, square-shaped film caps on the old boards. All revisions of the original board have them. The uber board is direct DC coupled which eliminates the need for those caps in the signal path. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back