Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Feb 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #2,191 of 3,339

Quote:

I've heard generally good things about the Touch as a digital source.  Might be more jitter from Touch through coax than using Bifrost's async USB input.  Touch I believe is limited to 24/96, so if you were planning on listening to 24/192 material you'd need the PC for that.

Thanks for the reply. My bifrost is waiting for me at the front door right now. BTW if anyone wants a bifrost and doesnt want to wait through schiit backorders, keep checking amazon. there were 10 in stock for the past few days. i ordered on tuesday morning... much better than waiting :)

Anyway, I just want to know if my $350 was well spent and I'll hear a difference. Maybe I should have gotten the USB... I'm not very technical, nor would i know the difference between 24/96 and 24/192 but I'm looking for a clear upgrade (hopefully). Another question - is the DAC pidgeon-holed by the amp its feeding to? For instance I have a cheap ef2a which I like a lot, but since its not top of the line - will feeding the bifrost to it not make a world of difference? Do you need better and better amps to get the most out of the DAC? 

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2,192 of 3,339

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My bifrost is waiting for me at the front door right now. BTW if anyone wants a bifrost and doesnt want to wait through schiit backorders, keep checking amazon. there were 10 in stock for the past few days. i ordered on tuesday morning... much better than waiting :)

Anyway, I just want to know if my $350 was well spent and I'll hear a difference. Maybe I should have gotten the USB... I'm not very technical, nor would i know the difference between 24/96 and 24/192 but I'm looking for a clear upgrade (hopefully). Another question - is the DAC pidgeon-holed by the amp its feeding to? For instance I have a cheap ef2a which I like a lot, but since its not top of the line - will feeding the bifrost to it not make a world of difference? Do you need better and better amps to get the most out of the DAC? 

Thanks, only 2 left in amazon guys!

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #2,195 of 3,339
I am using a laptop running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit home. Are there any known issues with the bifrost on this OS? I am currently using the UDAC-2 via USB which works fine but wanted to check if there were any concerns using the Bifrost?

Also, I know there have been some posts on this already but can anyone give experience in upgrading from the Nuforce to the Schiit?

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #2,197 of 3,339
For those of you based in Australia not yet aware i-Enjoy now has stock of the Bifrost.
Prices for the non-USB model is $450 and with USB it is $550.

From what I can gather it is first in best served so if you have been waiting don't dally!

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #2,198 of 3,339

Quote:
Has anyone run 24/88.2 into the Bifrost successfully with Toslink?  I can run 44/48/96 but get a error message in JRiver MC 17 when trying to send 24/88.

If you're using a PC, you should try using WASAPI out.  88.2 works fine for me

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2,200 of 3,339

Quote:
Looks nice stacked, especially next to the iMac...it all matches. 

I cannot believe you said that, especially after reading happiness is celebrating an object of ultimate worth in the bottom.

Since I completely agree with that statement, how can you say that it looks nice to the iMac. That object has no value whatsoever compared to the Schiit or Audeze :p

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #2,204 of 3,339
Messing with Fidelia/iZotope Resampler to upsample my 44.1 flacs to 88.2. Seems promising with the Bifrost, with notably more focused imaging and anchored front and centre position. Need to live with it for while then switch back to determine any real benefits.

edit: 88.2 is less enveloping and width of soundstage is narrower, giving the impression of better focus. Airiness and detail (particularly vocal definition) are subdued or lost in the upsample. Back to native sample rate.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #2,205 of 3,339

Quote:
Messing with Fidelia/iZotope Resampler to upsample my 44.1 flacs to 88.2. Seems promising with the Bifrost, with notably more focused imaging and anchored front and centre position. Need to live with it for while then switch back to determine any real benefits.

edit: 88.2 is less enveloping and width of soundstage is narrower, giving the impression of better focus. Airiness and detail (particularly vocal definition) are subdued or lost in the upsample. Back to native sample rate.

It appears to be recording dependent.  In general, poor recordings seem to benefit from upsampling while better recordings sound better at their native rate.  I just left my setup at native rate ( no upsampling) but might switch if listening to something poorly recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back