Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Nov 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #1,651 of 3,339
Thanks very much for the info, Jason!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #1,652 of 3,339
Thanks Jason.  Glad to know that you are still doing pre-order.  I feel like I have been talking Schiit statement gear for at least a year already.  
tongue_smile.gif

Congrats on the Bifrost.  I know that it is still early days on the public sentiment and reviews but I am wrapped with my purchase and thing that it represents great quality of build and sound.  

Now back to saving for the Statement gear.....

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #1,654 of 3,339
Anyone have both a Xonar ST/STX and the Bifrost? Interested in some comparisons here.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #1,656 of 3,339

Quote:
Heard the new Matrix DAC today, I think it's $700?  Yeah, Bifrost is better to my ears.

Sweet! I have one coming soon to compliment my Valhalla, which already sounds better than it's price from the other amps I have compared it to. Maybe this will finally be the end for my HD650 (that is, until I get a HD800, then it's the Apex Peak + Volcano lol).

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #1,657 of 3,339

Quote:
Well, we're still hoping to announce one or two new things before the end of the year, but that may slip to January. The "statement" stuff we're still hoping for Q1. 

All the best,
Jason

Yay, still hope for a statement DAC by march :)

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #1,658 of 3,339
Thanks very much to everyone who replied on the subject of Bifrost + Macintosh SPDIF outs. Sounds like all is well.

I ordered the Bifrost without the USB for a couple reasons. One, yes I want to see if the optical connection is less noisy. I have a Firewire interface now (Duet) which sounds lovely as long there is nothing else churning on the Firewire bus (a PCI card for the backup drives solved that). And two, I'd rather add the USB myself later anyway, and it's a pretty sure bet I will because I love to tinker, anticipate new gear, and upgrade things.

How brilliant is it that they designed the Bifrost to be inherently tinker-able, they know their market!

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #1,659 of 3,339
If I might be so bold as to make a request....A simple integrated amp of about 50 watts would be sweet.  A CD player and another digital source into the Bifrost and the Bifrost into the amp.   Throw in a nice pair of Totems and you have small living room nirvana.

A guy can dream...

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,660 of 3,339

Quote:
Anyone have both a Xonar ST/STX and the Bifrost? Interested in some comparisons here.

Yes.  I had a Xonar STX with rolled op-amps (LME49860NAs and the LME49720NA prior) in my system that I was very happy with... until I got my Bifrost a couple weeks ago.

I immediately noticed a very noticeable improvement with the USB interface over the Xonar.  I am now using the coax input from an old M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card (which supports every bit depth and sample rate over coax) and the Bifrost sounds even better than with USB.  Before reading any of the other comments posted here, I was using a lot of same terms used to describe the sound to myself.  I can definitely confirm that this is a very nice DAC and a nice step up from the Xonar. I've been very busy with work travel and haven't had time to do some head to head comparisons. Mostly, I have been just really enjoying the music coming from my system.   

I'm taking next week off so I should have time to do more comparative listening and write it up.

- Bob

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #1,661 of 3,339

Quote:
Thanks Blurpapa - appreciate all your comments 
beerchug.gif

We're coming into evening in New Zealand. There will be noise and distraction for about the next three hours - my wife being the noisy person she is :wink: - after which I will continue...

Haha. I LOVE a noisy family. It shows the active relationships that members have with each other. I cannot imagine "my house is dark and my pots are cold" (Santana).

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #1,663 of 3,339

Quote:
anax..any comparison of bifrost with dacport??

Good question.  Been awhile since I've had a DACPort of any variety but I am a fan.  I do find the DACPort LX to be more tonally similar to the BiFrost than the non LX but less lively in dynamics.  I haven't had a chance to use the LX w/ the same amps I've had the BiFrost hooked up to so I can't say for sure how they compare feeding some higher end stuff.  You can put the LX and non LX in your pocket though and they are built around USB primarily while the BiFrost is not, if that even matters in any way.  I spent a good few hours dedicated to the BiFrost at a meet but be aware I have no lived with it.  I heard enough to think I may try living w/ the Statement DAC though.  =)

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #1,664 of 3,339
you used stock/regular usb cable or some audiophile usb cable?
i have a musiland 02 that can be used as usb > spdif converter, but i dont know if it will sound better than just using the bifrost's usb input. so it's really important for me that the usb will sound just as good as spdif because i can save money when i order the bifrost without usb.
Quote:
Yes.  I had a Xonar STX with rolled op-amps (LME49860NAs and the LME49720NA prior) in my system that I was very happy with... until I got my Bifrost a couple weeks ago.

I immediately noticed a very noticeable improvement with the USB interface over the Xonar.  I am now using the coax input from an old M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card (which supports every bit depth and sample rate over coax) and the Bifrost sounds even better than with USB.  Before reading any of the other comments posted here, I was using a lot of same terms used to describe the sound to myself.  I can definitely confirm that this is a very nice DAC and a nice step up from the Xonar. I've been very busy with work travel and haven't had time to do some head to head comparisons. Mostly, I have been just really enjoying the music coming from my system.   

I'm taking next week off so I should have time to do more comparative listening and write it up.

- Bob

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #1,665 of 3,339

Quote:
Good question.  Been awhile since I've had a DACPort of any variety but I am a fan.  I do find the DACPort LX to be more tonally similar to the BiFrost than the non LX but less lively in dynamics.  I haven't had a chance to use the LX w/ the same amps I've had the BiFrost hooked up to so I can't say for sure how they compare feeding some higher end stuff.  You can put the LX and non LX in your pocket though and they are built around USB primarily while the BiFrost is not, if that even matters in any way.  I spent a good few hours dedicated to the BiFrost at a meet but be aware I have no lived with it.  I heard enough to think I may try living w/ the Statement DAC though.  =)

thanks!! yea the portability of the dacport could be a decider for me.. if the dacport is on par with the bifrost, i think i might get the LX instead..since it's also slightly cheaper..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back