Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Dec 5, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,216 of 1,448
  I'm saying yes. In this hobby, upgrades like these makes one appreciate more nuances and subtleties in the music that were not heard before. It's not a step function if you know what I mean. And further more, highly revealing HPs like the HD 800 become that more enjoyable to listen to. As is commonly known, better upstream gear always brings out the best in good HPs. And it also reveals lousy recordings; I am now methodically upgrading my source music.

Some people even upgrade themselves as their perception improves as they learn to listen better. 
biggrin.gif
 IMO, experience has value.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,217 of 1,448
I just waited until I found a killer deal for a like new, fully loaded one on eBay and started right at the top for a lot less money. I ended up getting mine for $425 shipped and it was three months old with the Schiit sales receipt.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,219 of 1,448
Hi,

Guys i have Bifrost with Lyr 2 and the source of music AK120,
So i plug the Optical cable into Bifrost Optical In and the other side of Optical cable i plug it into AK120 Optical Out and it can't be play 192Khz !! The limit is 176.4Khz, Why? Is the problem from my cable ( I have optical cable a cheap one )

The Bifrost and AK120 can handle to play up to192Khz

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,220 of 1,448
  Hi,

Guys i have Bifrost with Lyr 2 and the source of music AK120,
So i plug the Optical cable into Bifrost Optical In and the other side of Optical cable i plug it into AK120 Optical Out and it can be play 192Khz !! The limit is 176.4Khz, Why? Is the problem from my cable ( I have optical cable a cheap one )

The Bifrost and AK120 can handle to play up to192Khz

Is the source file a 192KHz file?

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,223 of 1,448

Hmm.... maybe run the Bifrost from your computer via USB and play the 192KHz file from there to ensure that the Bifrost is taking it okay so you can make sure the Bifrost isnt the one having the issue.

(Non-USB)
But i try 192Khz with Optical cable it's works with my Macbook Audirvana+

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,224 of 1,448
It's either cable or source. 192 is fussy with optical.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,225 of 1,448
  It's either cable or source. 192 is fussy with optical.

I need a best Toslink cable for my Bifrost and ak120, What you suggest for me?

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,226 of 1,448
I'm narrowing my choices down, but it's only my 2nd post here, so go easy please. :)

I've got $1000ish to spend (I keep round this upward. lol) And for that amount I need to get Headphones, amp and dac.

Will be producing backing music and some dance stuff. And am working in a small office alone.

This will be used on my iMac. This is a link to the exact model:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202214

Considering getting the Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 OHM headphones ($350)  I don't think I need a fully closed can as there is nothing much to bleed into.

Along with the Bitfrost Uber with USB option ($519)

And Asgard 2 ($249)

This puts me a little over budget, but still doable. 

Any thoughts or suggestions. Am I spending my $1k well? Or is there a better combination you would recommend?

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,227 of 1,448
Trying this again. Just tried posting here but it went off into nothingness I guess because I linked to the exact model of computer I use via apple's help forum. So this one doesn't have the link, hopefully it will show up.

This is only my second post, so go easy on me. :)

Ok, so here is what I'm considering.

I can spend around $1000.00ish. And with that, I need to buy a new pair of headphones, a new amp and DAC.

All this needs to work with my mid 2011 27 in. iMac. I'll be producing music in my little studio. New age and dance combo. 

I'm strongly considering the Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 OHM headphones. I think as far as phones goes, the semi open will be fine as there is little for them to bleed into and I have a nice quiet environment. 

Alrighty. I'm considering going with the Bitfrost Uber with USB option for my DAC.

And the Asgard 2 for the amp.

This goes $100 over my budget but is still doable.

Is it overkill to go with the Bitfrost with Uber/Asgard 2 vs the M&M route? I've spent several hours reading and still can't quite answer it. I think the Uber upgrade may give a significant advantage to the Bitfrost. 

Is this how you would spend $1100? Or would you do something different?

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,229 of 1,448
  You won't regret uber Bifrost + Asgard 2 if you can swing it.  M/M is good and recommended if you can't right now.

I can swing it - hurts a little, but maybe better to stomach a little pain now vs. regret later. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  If it makes a big difference - a $570 difference, I'll do it.

Hey, maybe you know the answer to this... since I'm using this with my iMac, I assume I need the USB addon feature. And when using this, will I have to switch my sound source every time I want to hear my speakers vs. using the amp/headphones?

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,230 of 1,448
I can swing it - hurts a little, but maybe better to stomach a little pain now vs. regret later. :)   If it makes a big difference - a $570 difference, I'll do it.

Hey, maybe you know the answer to this... since I'm using this with my iMac, I assume I need the USB addon feature. And when using this, will I have to switch my sound source every time I want to hear my speakers vs. using the amp/headphones?

USB - yes, get it.
Sound source - no, no problem, don't have to switch sound outputs. Just unplug your headphones and you'll be listening to the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back