Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Feb 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #1,261 of 1,448
  Ok I might have the opportunity to get my hands on a Bifrost Uber with the USB Gen2 upgrade in it and just cant find the right spot on this forum to post this question so I hope this place will work, will it be a noticeable upgrade over going analog from my Mac Mini to my Asgard 2? Also plan on jacking in a XBox One into it as well (Optical) and a CD player (coaxial). Whats the consensus on how this beautiful piece of gear sounds? I know my Asgard 2 was a leaps and bounds upgrade in headphone audio so I can't imagine the Bifrost Uber is a lemon.

Yes and detail retrieval was the first thing I noticed when I made my jump to the Bifrost Uber.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #1,262 of 1,448
what cable do you recommend out of these two cables for a Bifrost Uber + Magni 2 Uber stack ?

the pyst cable 

vs 

the AudioQuest EverGreens : http://www.audioquest.com/bridges-falls/evergreen

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,264 of 1,448
Just finished hooking up an Uber Bifrost (USB & Analog) that I got new/other off of ebay,
& I sure appreciate all of the info You folx have provided here for us bifrost-curious types.

As a home studio owner, my needs have always been more towards the analytical & transparent components,
as opposed to the musical and colored ones.

The weakest link in my current setup was the monitor/source controller, a behringer product that absolutely sucked.
I was on the fence between the bifrost or the peachtree DAC-ITx, but there are two things I value even more than sonic transparency/accuracy,
& they are dependability & customer service.

I was raised w/out a TV so I actually read all 85 pages of this thread,
& it is pretty apparent to me that Schiit has addressed prettymuch
every issue that has been posted in the front end of this thread.

This speaks volumes to me, as a professional musician that spends more on gear than vehicles.

My unit (revision E printed on the manual) barely gets warm, and the LED is actually one of the dimmest LEDs in My studio.
My gear is powered by furman ar1215 power conditioners (an industry standard in most studios)
& since I work & play from home I will leave this unit on all the time.

I'll post my impressions once I've had some time to adjust to it/burn it in,
but My initial impressions are that I am quite pleased with how revealing it is on My own recordings.
It has brought out many details (some to my dismay) in the highs and mids especially.

I am running it optically from My asus Sabertooth motherboard into an older Woo WA3+ into either
Event Tria 2.1 reference monitors or yamaha p-2200 > Yamaha NS-10m speakers,
or from the Woo headphone out into NOS unmodded AKG K-340 cans.

I listened to my own music, and also some compact discs (through a Buffalo Media Station)
& watched The Fifth Element as well.
-but the real clincher was playing guitar through a Kemper KPA profiling guitar amplifier.

The clarity & detail has improved greatly, to put it mildly.

I have a custom PC with the most powerful GFX card currently out, and it has more fans on it than is reasonable.
(It's in a sound-proof enclosure) so the optical connection won out over the uber usb.

Although I don't subscribe to most snake-oil beliefs, I did actually notice the difference between the uber USB
and the optical input, the optical was slightly quieter, imo.

Again, thanx to everybody that contributed to this and the other half dozen bifrost threadz.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,265 of 1,448
  I've heard people saying that the Modi is a little bright and has a little glare to the sound, and that the Bifrost is overall smoother than the Modi.

Does this seem to reach your experience as well?

The thing I noticed was that the really low level detail became more obvious.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,266 of 1,448
I have the schiit uber without the usb card, I have noticed weird popping sounds and artifacts, no it is not the popping sound that is made when it changes sample rate, its a weird cracking/ popping noise when I play back music

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,267 of 1,448
  I have the schiit uber without the usb card, I have noticed weird popping sounds and artifacts, no it is not the popping sound that is made when it changes sample rate, its a weird cracking/ popping noise when I play back music

Did you try it with a different source device?

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #1,273 of 1,448
Just received my Uber upgrade today, for the last board was lost somewhere in Indianapolis by FedEx.
The bad weather is the blame, I guess!
Schiit and FedEx arranged to send another one.

I'm so far surprised by the difference that Uber makes.
Everything is more resolved, bass is more controlled and give (slightly) more punch.
Have to find a cable that fits the system, and call it my end-game system then!

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,274 of 1,448
I guess this is the official Bifrost thread :p

Would the Bifrost be a clear upgrade over my HRT microStreamer?

I'm looking for something with its own power supply, stereo RCA, USB async and under $500

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,275 of 1,448
  I just purchased a Schiit Bifrost DAC to upgrade from my HRT DAC.  This was due to very positive reviews of the two upgrades made to the Bifrost about six months ago - the new Uber Analog card and the new 2nd Generation USB card.  Okay back to settings:

How was this upgrade for you? I'm also coming from an HRT microStreamer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back