Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 22, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #916 of 1,448

To my ears, the Uber is not totally grain free, but it has less grain than my V-DAC II.  It's as close to vinyl as I've ever heard, but I've never heard DACs costing in the thousands $$. 

That is high praise indeed. I am running it through the Zana Deux and hear very very little grain. I think I should stop looking for more expensive DACs (at least for time being).

May 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #917 of 1,448
I quit looking at more expensive DAC's a long time ago. If there are more upgrades for the Bifrost available in the future, I will not hesitate to get them, but other than that, I'm done.

May 22, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #918 of 1,448
  I quit looking at more expensive DAC's a long time ago. If there are more upgrades for the Bifrost available in the future, I will not hesitate to get them, but other than that, I'm done.

That is pretty much my approach, too.  I thought about the Gungnir, but the Bifrost Uber was close enough for me call it a day. 

May 22, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #921 of 1,448

Add me in.  Other than possible Bifrost upgrades, I'm done.

Sadly, I'm not done.
I agree with the opinions here, especially the reference to vinyl: this DAC with my Burson is the best digital system I have ever heard or owned.

However, I'm a bit of a pretentious snob, and when the Yggy is released, I will probably get it...

May 22, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #922 of 1,448
  However, I'm a bit of a pretentious snob, and when the Yggy is released, I will probably get it...

This makes Schiit and "used gear" folks happy. 
wink.gif

May 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #923 of 1,448

This makes Schiit and "used gear" folks happy. 
wink.gif

+1

'cept I'm going to keep my Uber.  It's a fantastic value that will fit nicely in our study, or even guest room.

May 23, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #925 of 1,448
Does anyone have experience with the Über Bifrost USB2 and the Gungnir USB?

I don't need balanced outputs.

May 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #926 of 1,448

Bifrost's USB implementation is very robust from what I can tell.

May 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #927 of 1,448

I don't need balanced outputs.

I have both. I definitely feel the USB implementation is very very good in both. The Gungnir is a tad better but I have my own bias for balanced. I used to have a USB - SPDIF converter for the Bifrost but threw it away after using the USB directly.

May 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #928 of 1,448
How does the sound compare and is the Gungnir worth the extra $300 if you don't need balanced?

May 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #929 of 1,448
  How does the sound compare and is the Gungnir worth the extra $300 if you don't need balanced?

If you don't need balanced, I'd save myself $300 and get the Bifrost. With Uber upgrade, it's very similar sounding to Gungnir from what I heard.

May 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #930 of 1,448
I concur with what everyone has said so far.  The USB gen 2 card is excellent in the Bifrost Uber.  I cannot hear any difference between USB, coax, or optical.  In lesser DACs, I could hear slight differences over USB.

Also, unless you need balanced, the Bifrost is a better a value.  Some reviewers, like Purrin, has said the Gungnir is slightly better at unbalanced than the Bifrost, but it's not very much.  If you might eventually go balanced in the future, go ahead and get the Gungnir.  If you will always be unbalanced, go with the Bifrost.  They are that close in quality while both running unbalanced.  The Gungnir takes it to another level over balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back