Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Feb 28, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #721 of 1,448
  Dang, I didnt know the Bifrost required a windows driver... Mine hasnt come yet. Thats not good. Is it a generic driver or something we have to depend on Schiit to maintain?

Schiit and C-Media mantain it cooperatively.  The current version ASIO driver is excellent, more stable and trouble-free than any other Windows audio driver I have used.

If you use Vista, you will need a different download, by the way.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #723 of 1,448
I haven't played any bf4 since to check it again. My friends who still play BF4 only like to play Conquest Large which i find so boring. I will try it again tonight for a bit.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #724 of 1,448
Alright, I'm not happy. Was listening to some music last night when the sound started cutting in and out. Through testing all equipment in my line, I found it was the Bifrost Uber that was doing it. Now, the sound is almost completely gone. I will start a song and at some point, it will cut in and out until the sound goes out completely. I've found turning it off and on doesn't work nor does switching between the different inputs. What will work is unplugging and re-plugging in the USB cable on the DAC will bring the sound back, but then it will go again after a little bit of time. I suppose I will have to use the Modi for the time being which is a real drag.

The DAC is three weeks old, so you can imagine I'm pretty disappointed right now. Anyone else experienced this?

Sounds like what we used to call premature death syndrome. Most electronic components which will fail fail early,which is why they are ran in (at production) for a few hours. Sometimes one will hang in long enough to ship to an OEM and then you end up with it. I hope you get a fast and satisfactory resolution. Gotta love that 5 year warranty

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #725 of 1,448
Well, I don't know what happened, but the issue seemed to just go away. Let me explain.

Got home and tried again. It was still cutting in and out. Changed out the cable. Didn't work. Changed to the Modi and it stopped doing it. Changed back to the Bifrost and, again, it was cutting out. Started experimenting and found that it was only cutting out on high bit rate lossless content. I took a lossless ALAC track of pink noise and created a 320 kbps AAC derivative. I tested each track several times and each time I played the ALAC, sound cut out after a while to the point where I needed to unplug the USB and plug it back in. The AAC file worked fine every time. So now I was thinking there's bandwidth issues.

Well, the issue just kinda magically went away. No change in anything. It's just gone. I guess I'm happy, but now I can't help but think it's just waiting to happen again.

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #726 of 1,448
  Well, I don't know what happened, but the issue seemed to just go away. Let me explain.

Got home and tried again. It was still cutting in and out. Changed out the cable. Didn't work. Changed to the Modi and it stopped doing it. Changed back to the Bifrost and, again, it was cutting out. Started experimenting and found that it was only cutting out on high bit rate lossless content. I took a lossless ALAC track of pink noise and created a 320 kbps AAC derivative. I tested each track several times and each time I played the ALAC, sound cut out after a while to the point where I needed to unplug the USB and plug it back in. The AAC file worked fine every time. So now I was thinking there's a bandwidth issues.

Well, the issue just kinda magically went away. No change in anything. It's just gone. I guess I'm happy, but now I can't help but think it's just waiting to happen again.

odd eh? Hope it stays ok for you...

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #727 of 1,448
I was never really a fan of Schiit' USB implementation. My guess is the problem is a setting, no more. Though, if something is wrong from your last update, it probably has to do with the sampling rate switch or clock (which would effect all inputs, not just USB).

If you're not using ASIO or WASAPI then your Window Sound Manager settings might be causing the issue. Be sure you set your default sample rate to, 16/44.1 in the Windows setting as well as your music player. By setting these too high, the OS will interpolate information that doesn't exist to fill in the extra gaps, and it can sure sound like hell.

Hope that helps, as I did lots of troubleshooting with my Bifrost being my first USB dac and not knowing enough to communicate the actual problem on the forums.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #728 of 1,448
I was never really a fan of Schiit' USB implementation. My guess is the problem is a setting, no more. Though, if something is wrong from your last update, it probably has to do with the sampling rate switch or clock (which would effect all inputs, not just USB).

If you're not using ASIO or WASAPI then your Window Sound Manager settings might be causing the issue. Be sure you set your default sample rate to, 16/44.1 in the Windows setting as well as your music player. By setting these too high, the OS will interpolate information that doesn't exist to fill in the extra gaps, and it can sure sound like hell.

Hope that helps, as I did lots of troubleshooting with my Bifrost being my first USB dac and not knowing enough to communicate the actual problem on the forums.

Good to know! That probably explains my BF4 problem with my Bifrost given I set the default sample rate to 24/192. I figured it would only use the rate it was recorded in.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #729 of 1,448

Got home and tried again. It was still cutting in and out. Changed out the cable. Didn't work. Changed to the Modi and it stopped doing it. Changed back to the Bifrost and, again, it was cutting out. Started experimenting and found that it was only cutting out on high bit rate lossless content. I took a lossless ALAC track of pink noise and created a 320 kbps AAC derivative. I tested each track several times and each time I played the ALAC, sound cut out after a while to the point where I needed to unplug the USB and plug it back in. The AAC file worked fine every time. So now I was thinking there's bandwidth issues.

Let's be honest here roguegeek, i think we can all agree that the only reason the problem went away is because of my post :p. Glad to hear the problem is gone!

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #730 of 1,448

Weird.  Glad it's working for you now and hopefully continues.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #731 of 1,448
If anyone want's to know, I emailed Schiit about the USB port's power requirements and got the below response in about 3-1/2 hours. Sometimes Nick responds within minutes. I think he had to look this one up first or finish his dinner. 
biggrin.gif
 I've asked such questions of other companies and either got no answer or it took a long time to get a reply.

Does my Bifrost Uber USB draw power from its USB connection and if so how much current?

Yes, it does, about 90mA.
  Nick T.

Schiit Tech
tech@schiit.com

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #732 of 1,448
  If anyone want's to know, I emailed Schiit about the USB port's power requirements and got the below response in about 3-1/2 hours. Sometimes Nick responds within minutes. I think he had to look this one up first or finish his dinner. 
biggrin.gif
 I've asked such questions of other companies and either got no answer or it took a long time to get a reply.

Does my Bifrost Uber USB draw power from its USB connection and if so how much current?

Yes, it does, about 90mA.
  Nick T.

Schiit Tech
tech@schiit.com

That's my experience as well, they are schiit hot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back