schiit bifrost 2 vs schiit gungnir +2020 dac module
Feb 9, 2020 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
Since this thread did not already exist I thought I would create it. I guess more people might have the question that I have which is: which one of these 2 dacs to choose?
The bifrost 2 is a big update and I did read somewhere that it is nearly as good as the gungnir. But how does that hold up with the upgrade module for the gungnir released in 2020?
Of course I like spending less money but if its really better I would be willing to expend my buddget to get the gungnir 2020...
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Don't own either of these, but if i were you i'd go for the Gungnir;

I wouldn't spend any amount for a DAC that doesn't have something to address jitter. Based on what's mentioned in either's description, Gungnir does, Bitfrost does not.

Impressions that you're after are subjective; besides your usual ear-to-ear variance, there's also the actual setup and conditions that factor in. Let's say that for someone else, the difference between the two is minimal or non-existent; need not be the case for you too, if your source is (more) problematic than theirs you'd most definitely hear a difference even though (to stick with said same theory) they'd sound identical on their setup.

The above stands even if you already have some secondary, external device addressing this; accoustically speaking, it's always best to keep things down to a minimum. The more devices that interfere/are along the way as it were, the worse off we usually are. So should you own such a device?
My advice would still be to go with the Gungir; and sell the gizmo.

Never patch; that entails the source of the problem remains, albeit 'covered'.
Always fix; sometimes that entails going back a step :)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 3
Don't own either of these, but if i were you i'd go for the Gungnir;

I wouldn't spend any amount for a DAC that doesn't have something to address jitter. Based on what's mentioned in either's description, Gungnir does, Bitfrost does not.

Impressions that you're after are subjective; besides your usual ear-to-ear variance, there's also the actual setup and conditions that factor in. Let's say that for someone else, the difference between the two is minimal or non-existent; need not be the case for you too, if your source is (more) problematic than theirs you'd most definitely hear a difference even though (to stick with said same theory) they'd sound identical on their setup.

The above stands even if you already have some secondary, external device addressing this; accoustically speaking, it's always best to keep things down to a minimum. The more devices that interfere/are along the way as it were, the worse off we usually are. So should you own such a device?
My advice would still be to go with the Gungir; and sell the gizmo.

Never patch; that entails the source of the problem remains, albeit 'covered'.
Always fix; sometimes that entails going back a step :)
The bifrost 2 does have the unison usb feed which I read does positive things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back