Schiit Bifrost 2 vs. Chord Qutest
Aug 17, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #16 of 30
Schiit Valhalla 2. Though I have been considering the Asgard 3.
Haven't heard a Valhalla 2, only Vali 2. I would probably go for a Lyr over A3, as an upgrade. If you can budget it. A3 is certainly not bad, though, but sounds rather unrefined to me.
Whichever DAC I get I pretty much want it to be "end game" so I am not changing it for quite a long time.
So you have a Marantz DAC1 now? I have no idea how much of a difference a BF2 will be, but hopefully enough. You could go for an Yggdrasil to be sure, if you can afford it. Or buy both, and return one.

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 30
Haven't heard a Valhalla 2, only Vali 2. I would probably go for a Lyr over A3, as an upgrade. If you can budget it. A3 is certainly not bad, though, but sounds rather unrefined to me.

So you have a Marantz DAC1 now? I have no idea how much of a difference a BF2 will be, but hopefully enough. You could go for an Yggdrasil to be sure, if you can afford it. Or buy both, and return one.

The Lyr is a hybrid tube amp. How is that an upgrade over the Valhalla 2? I actually sold the Marantz DAC1 recently as I did not need two headphone amps. Plus the DAC1 sounded almost identical to the Valhalla 2. So this is why I am looking for a new DAC. A Yggdrasil is far too expensive for me.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #18 of 30
The Lyr is a hybrid tube amp. How is that an upgrade over the Valhalla 2?
WAY more power and versatility? Cleaner sound? Way lower output impedance? Optional DAC? Lighter and less power consumption? Better volume knob? I don't think A3 would be an upgrade over Valhalla 2 as far as sound quality goes, but it's less tubey, cleaner, more powerful and more versatile than Valhalla 2 for sure.

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #20 of 30
WAY more power and versatility? Cleaner sound? Way lower output impedance? Optional DAC? Lighter and less power consumption? Better volume knob? I don't think A3 would be an upgrade over Valhalla 2 as far as sound quality goes, but it's less tubey, cleaner, more powerful and more versatile than Valhalla 2 for sure.

Would it be any benefit to getting the optional DAC? Or keep the DAC separate? I don't necessarily care for a "cleaner" sound and I don't want an analytical sound. I would like the most "analog" sound I can get.

Bifrost 2 hands down...
Not that I would disagree but could you please elaborate?

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #22 of 30
Would it be any benefit to getting the optional DAC? Or keep the DAC separate?
Yeah, avoid the built-in DACs! You won't get a Bifrost 2 jammed in there. :wink: And you'll be able to upgrade each component in your chain individually later on, which is great flexibility to have.
I don't necessarily care for a "cleaner" sound and I don't want an analytical sound. I would like the most "analog" sound I can get.
It sounds like you want a better sounding, more powerful pure tube amp, then. Maybe a Woo WA2? I've heard Monolith Liquid Platinum is another excellent option, for a hybrid amp.

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #23 of 30
Schiits designs in their multi bit dacs are said to get the most out of redbook PCM...as best possible towards the analog sound of vinyl etc..
Their Yggy 2 is the amp here IMO.
Thr Bifrost 2 comes close for a lot less and in some ways exceeds the Yggy2.

Alex

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #24 of 30
Yeah, avoid the built-in DACs! You won't get a Bifrost 2 jammed in there. :wink: And you'll be able to upgrade each component in your chain individually later on, which is great flexibility to have.

It sounds like you want a better sounding, more powerful pure tube amp, then. Maybe a Woo WA2? I've heard Monolith Liquid Platinum is another excellent option, for a hybrid amp.
Is the Valhalla 2 not a pure tube amp? With the Monolith Liquid Platinum is it better to use the balance headphone out over the SE output?
Schiits designs in their multi bit dacs are said to get the most out of redbook PCM...as best possible towards the analog sound of vinyl etc..
Their Yggy 2 is the amp here IMO.
Thr Bifrost 2 comes close for a lot less and in some ways exceeds the Yggy2.

Alex
The Yggdrasil would be way out of my price range. Would the Bifrost 2 plus a tube amp be "too much of a good thing" if I'm looking for an analog sound?

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #25 of 30
Is the Valhalla 2 not a pure tube amp?
OTL, yeah. But you said you were getting an Asgard 3 instead, I thought? Which probably has worse sound quality overall, and you seem to like tube amps, so I suggested better sounding tube amps(and/or hybrids).
With the Monolith Liquid Platinum is it better to use the balance headphone out over the SE output?
I would imagine so. It seems that pretty much every amp that has balanced + SE was primarily designed for the bal circuit, and the SE is an add-on that never comes close to the same quality of the bal circuit. I don't care about balanced, and may never, so I simply look for SE amps with high power and sound quality(like this A30 Pro I just got, that I need to start testing right now lol).

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #27 of 30
OTL, yeah. But you said you were getting an Asgard 3 instead, I thought? Which probably has worse sound quality overall, and you seem to like tube amps, so I suggested better sounding tube amps(and/or hybrids).

I would imagine so. It seems that pretty much every amp that has balanced + SE was primarily designed for the bal circuit, and the SE is an add-on that never comes close to the same quality of the bal circuit. I don't care about balanced, and may never, so I simply look for SE amps with high power and sound quality(like this A30 Pro I just got, that I need to start testing right now lol).
I was just thinking of the Asgard 3 as a solid state option. Seems to have good reviews so far that I have seen. I thought that the A30 Pro has a balance headphone out?

Oh No!

It would be an excellent pairing!
What about the Cayin HA-1A MKII? It actually looks really nice.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #28 of 30
Seems to have good reviews so far that I have seen.
Oh yeah, for sure! For $200 it's absolutely great. So if that's all you want to spend, it's an easy choice for SE. :)
I thought that the A30 Pro has a balance headphone out?
Bal or SE inputs. SE output circuit only. So far I am loving this amp... Seems to have incredible bass impact, with very crisp, clear treble. I think my G111 may have more space/depth, but I need to listen & compare more to determine. It's not the smoothest amp, but definitely sounds more clear & refined than A3. HE6 sounds very acceptable on this amp. :thumbsup: I've never heard Aerosmith or classical sound as good as with BF2+A30 Pro+FD5.
photo_2021-08-19_00-54-59.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #29 of 30
One thing I forgot to mention is that I would be using this DAC with a Schiit Valhalla 2. Though I have also been considering the Asgard 3. Whichever DAC I get I pretty much want it to be "end game" so I am not changing it for quite a long time.
Well I will never pair Qutest with Valhalla2. I had both these devices and they are not a good pair. It will be as bright as it can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back