Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 15, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #3,706 of 4,935
I've owned my Bifrost 1 for about 10 years now and upgraded it along the way. It's a Multibit with gen 2 USB now. I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and upgrade to 2/64. I'm running it with a Valhalla 1, so I might upgrade that to either Valhalla 2 or Lyr+. Using it with my HD 650s, which I've owned for just as long. My current setup already sounds pretty good, but I've just got that...upgrade itch, ya know?

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #3,707 of 4,935
I've owned my Bifrost 1 for about 10 years now and upgraded it along the way. It's a Multibit with gen 2 USB now. I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and upgrade to 2/64. I'm running it with a Valhalla 1, so I might upgrade that to either Valhalla 2 or Lyr+. Using it with my HD 650s, which I've owned for just as long. My current setup already sounds pretty good, but I've just got that...upgrade itch, ya know?

Very noticeable upgrade especially in technicalities even through the 650

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #3,708 of 4,935
I received Bifrost 2/64, installed a new firmware, the LEDs blinked and after the firmware installation was completed, the blinking of the LEDs stopped, after that I removed the memory card. Now, every time Bifrost 2/64 is turned on, the LEDs flash the same way as during the installation of the firmware from the memory card. Is this how it should be? It happens to everyone, is it the blinking of the LEDs when you turn it on?

Oct 15, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #3,709 of 4,935
I received Bifrost 2/64, installed a new firmware, the LEDs blinked and after the firmware installation was completed, the blinking of the LEDs stopped, after that I removed the memory card. Now, every time Bifrost 2/64 is turned on, the LEDs flash the same way as during the installation of the firmware from the memory card. Is this how it should be? It happens to everyone, is it the blinking of the LEDs when you turn it on?
I have a Bifrost 2, no firmware update. I bought it 12 months ago. For mine, flashing LEDs is part of the startup routine. I used to know what that was all about, but I forget now. But it is something about the communication between the Bifrost 2 and my PC.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #3,710 of 4,935
I have a Bifrost 2, no firmware update. I bought it 12 months ago. For mine, flashing LEDs is part of the startup routine. I used to know what that was all about, but I forget now. But it is something about the communication between the Bifrost 2 and my PC.
When Bifrost is turned on, the lights flash in the same way as after the Bifrost firmware. Do your lights also flash when you turn on and start Bifrost?

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #3,711 of 4,935
When Bifrost is turned on, the lights flash in the same way as after the Bifrost firmware. Do your lights also flash when you turn on and start Bifrost?
The firmware upgrade process has a slightly different light flashing pattern than the routine startup pattern. For example, If I am not mistaken, all the lights flash on and off together at a certain point in the upgrade process.
Are you leaving the upgrade MicroSD card inside the Bifrost?

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #3,713 of 4,935
The firmware upgrade process has a slightly different light flashing pattern than the routine startup pattern. For example, If I am not mistaken, all the lights flash on and off together at a certain point in the upgrade process.
Are you leaving the upgrade MicroSD card inside the Bifrost?
After installing the firmware, I removed the MicroSD card from the tray, then turned off the Bifrost and then immediately turned it on, the lamps began to flash one after another from left to right, then they all went out and the leftmost lamp turned on. Is this a normal Bifrost startup process?

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #3,714 of 4,935
After installing the firmware, I removed the MicroSD card from the tray, then turned off the Bifrost and then immediately turned it on, the lamps began to flash one after another from left to right, then they all went out and the leftmost lamp turned on. Is this a normal Bifrost startup process?
Yes, the pattern you described is the normal startup process. You're good!

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #3,715 of 4,935
BTW, have you tried the NOS mode yet? By holding the button about 3 seconds, and then release, and the indicator light will slowly beging to pulse bright/dark? What do you think of the NOS sound?

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #3,717 of 4,935
To Buyers: BF 2/64 New DAC or New Card "burn-in - I have a request if anyone is interested. A group listening test and report-out back to this thread.

REQUEST:
Would you be willing to take listening notes about the sound and what does/not change for you close to these time intervals below?.

Schiit online support by email advised there is no burn-in. Either I truly have a case of grandiose wishful thinking -or- I heard subtle change at these time intervals. With your help, I predicted it would be done settling in by day4-7. At days 14-16 it was surprising to hear some additional smoothing of the sound. Looking to others and what you hear if you are willing to share back noted results. DAC powered-on 24x7 first 14 days if possible.
Thanks in advance.

Sound change yes/no for you:

@1hour?

@1day, 24hrs?

@4days?

@7days, 1week?

@14days, 2weeks?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #3,718 of 4,935
To Buyers: BF 2/64 New DAC or New Card "burn-in - I have a request if anyone is interested. A group listening test and report-out back to this thread.

REQUEST:
Would you be willing to take listening notes about the sound and what does/not change for you close to these time intervals below?.

Schiit online support by email advised there is no burn-in. Either I truly have a case of grandiose wishful thinking -or- I heard subtle change at these time intervals. With your help, I predicted it would be done settling in by day4-7. At days 14-16 it was surprising to hear some additional smoothing of the sound. Looking to others and what you hear if you are willing to share back noted results. DAC powered-on 24x7 first 14 days if possible.
Thanks in advance.

Sound change yes/no for you:

@1hour?

@1day, 24hrs?

@4days?

@7days, 1week?

@14days, 2weeks?
I noticed a definite settling down of peaky brightness after 10 -20 hours, it really settled down.

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #3,719 of 4,935
Sure
I plan on keeping notes
Not sure about Schiit.
In their advertising they claim, more and less, there’s no difference in cables as well.
Just may take it’s probably more of an marketing decision.
That way you don’t get caught up in all that stuff.
Frankly I don’t blame them.

Oct 15, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #3,720 of 4,935
BTW, have you tried the NOS mode yet? By holding the button about 3 seconds, and then release, and the indicator light will slowly beging to pulse bright/dark? What do you think of the NOS sound?
It is recommended to burn Bifrost and over time the sound should change (I read this here). My Bifrost hasn't finished burning yet, but I liked the sound of it right out of the box. And yes, I listen in NOS mode, I like it better, I don't know how to explain it, but my ears choose NOS mode.

Attachments

• photo_2022-10-16_00-41-17.jpg
    photo_2022-10-16_00-41-17.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back