Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 26, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,821 of 4,881
A very interesting cost analysis.

What I see is my Bifrost purchase of 2/19/21, for $771.55 (including shipping and state tax), will become a ~$1,200 DAC with the upgrade.

Worth it? I don't know. I'll listen to the golden ears comments, and decide.

For a price of $200, I'd have an order in.
I agree that the upgrade cost is a personal decision. I can't afford the thing at the present time so will also be waiting. For others it's a no brainer and they ordered right away. The price, however, is whatever Schiit deems appropriate whether you or I think it's worth the money. For the old Bifrost the AKM 2018 price was $399 and the Multibit version was $600. The multibit upgrade was $250 and the Gen 5 upgrade was $150 making a complete update $400, same as the base price. Compared to buying it complete to begin with is the Multibit/Gen 5 upgrade worth $800? To many people it was. To others, who are still using the old AKM version, not so much. The Bifrost 2 at $700 in 2020 dollars reflects the inflation that occurred between the old Bifrost's release price and the next revision. That's $800 in todays money. Explains why they just increased the price.

Can GoldenSound or another reviewer, other than the CheapAudioMan, get a review out by the end of the year?

I find it interesting that the wait time for the card started out 2-3 weeks and is now, the maybe never, 4-6 weeks. Possibly Christmas along with the new Modi Multibit.

Edit: The Firmware is up for download and adds NOS to the Bifrost. It works for me.
Best

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #2,822 of 4,881
I use Audirvaña Studio, and running the Bifrost 2 in NOS mode and using the r8Brain setting, set to upsample by power of two and linear phase, produces a pleasing sound quality. However, the Bifrost still sounds more natural/analog using its own filter.

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #2,824 of 4,881
I use Audirvaña Studio, and running the Bifrost 2 in NOS mode and using the r8Brain setting, set to upsample by power of two and linear phase, produces a pleasing sound quality. However, the Bifrost still sounds more natural/analog using its own filter.
So you will be setting Audirvana back to 'No Upsampling' for most of your listening to get maximum benefit of the ComboBurrito filter? I have the original Audirvana which no longer works very well with Tidal but use it for my internal library. Here in canada we have no access yet to Quobuz. Wish they would hurry up.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #2,825 of 4,881
So you will be setting Audirvana back to 'No Upsampling' for most of your listening to get maximum benefit of the ComboBurrito filter? I have the original Audirvana which no longer works very well with Tidal but use it for my internal library. Here in canada we have no access yet to Quobuz. Wish they would hurry up.
Yes. The DAC's filter is very obviously better to me than using Audirvaña's upsampling. Might switch it on every once in awhile for something different.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #2,826 of 4,881
I hope it's worth it. I bit the apple tonight. The 2/64 card is coming my way.

In the end, it doesn't matter what one spends, but the enjoyment of one's toys.

Hopefully, the rejuvenated Bifrost will be a stud.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #2,827 of 4,881
I'm so f'n NOS'd right now 🥴

(cant immediately tell the difference on the desktop setup, its pretty forgiving on dac stuff....but the pulsing LED is neat!)

update: okay i may agree with someone on HFG that NOS is brighter and OS is smoother. I was using my desktop setup which is a bit forgiving on dac differences, but I did feel less harshness with the burrito filter on so just sticking with it by default still

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #2,828 of 4,881
I was thinking about trying out the Pontus 2 … I don’t know if I should divert $300 for the Bifrost upgrade or just continue to save up for the Pontus
The Pontus 2 looks to be a fantastic DAC. My only objection is it's Chinese manufacturer. It's an ideological thing, and really has no business in a purely sound obsessed culture (or forum). For the record, I have an iBasso DAP.

If you have no objection to that, I'd probably save a little more for the Pontus 2.

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,829 of 4,881
I haven't seen a review of the Schiit 2/64 card/Bifrost 2 from anyone not associated with Schiit.

Mine won't be on hand for 4-6 weeks (according to Schiit).

I'd love to see impressions from HF'ers who have changed cards in their BF2's. Surely Schiit had a few on hand (and shipping now) before announcing the card.

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #2,830 of 4,881
I haven't seen a review of the Schiit 2/64 card/Bifrost 2 from anyone not associated with Schiit.

Mine won't be on hand for 4-6 weeks (according to Schiit).

I'd love to see impressions from HF'ers who have changed cards in their BF2's. Surely Schiit had a few on hand (and shipping now) before announcing the card.
My card will be here next week

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #2,832 of 4,881
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #2,834 of 4,881
I think they forgot to build any bifrost 2/64s before the big announcement.
actually, if you watch some of the vids from last week's gathering in Austin you will see that they announced without any units available to ship. timing is everything!

LOL

Leo

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #2,835 of 4,881

Users who are viewing this thread

Back