Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Mar 20, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #2,716 of 4,812
Well if we take the OP comments, he did hear a difference between the silver power cable and stock one, just that he liked the stock one but having a preference over another cable proves that he heard a difference.

I do feel a good power cable make a difference and more so in apartments then in individual houses.

Mar 20, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #2,717 of 4,812
We all hear differences or we think we do...
This subjective opinion proves nothing concrete.

If you think it makes a difference well that's great...
Many do not....

So many other things to spend your dollars on that really do make a much discernible difference....
We are really in the mud here....

Mar 20, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #2,718 of 4,812
I learned not to talk about "after market cables or burn in" in these headfi threads, as this will lead to moderators deleting such posts. Just stick to what makes you happy.😁

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #2,720 of 4,812
Is it just me or is anyone hoping Schiit will introduce new firmwares for BF2. Now that I'm on a tube rolling hiatus with my amps, I'd like to roll firmware with my BF2. 😄

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #2,721 of 4,812
I always wished for Schiit to provide user selectable digital filter options on their DACs. That would be nice to have to change things up sonically once in a while.

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #2,722 of 4,812
Agree.....there are other threads that you can opine on the value of power cables and the like....best to take these discussions over there!

:>)
At a certain point, I start calling it audio jewelry. :yum:

Like with cars you can spend $100k to go 200MPH or a few million to go 262MPH. The price to performance curve gets way too steep at a certain point and returns exponentially diminishing.

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #2,723 of 4,812
I seem to have a USB problem with a new Bifrost 2.
The set up is at my office. Each morning I power on the BF2, Lokius, and Vali 2, and connect my Samsung Galaxy Fold 3 phone as the source via USB-C to USB-B cable to the BF2. It works fine. However, if I disconnect my phone to walk away from my desk, when I come back and reconnect the phone the BF2 never detects a USB connection and wont play music. The BF2 doesnt do any clicking or anything, like it normally does when it initially detects a USB connection. I have to unplug the BF2's AC power cable, and switch the power on/off many times before it willl detect the USB/phone again. Its a real pain in the ass. The Modi 3/Loki Mini stack at my desk does not have this problem.
Have others had problems with BF2 detecting USB?
Hey all. An update is overdue but in case anyone learns from my experience:
1. Schiit sent a replacement BF2, but the problem persisted.
2. Further research on Schiits website led to me finding a FAQ to try a USB powered hub.
3. Problem solved, the connection between my phone and BF2 is no longer an issue.
4. I wish Schiit support had suggested that. It would have saved both parties time and effort.

I've been loving the BF2. Its made me itch for a Yggy. Even if I do upgrade my headfi stack, I'll still probably happily reallocate the BF2 to a 2-ch speaker setup elsewhere in my home.

Apr 6, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #2,724 of 4,812
I seem to have a USB problem with a new Bifrost 2.
The set up is at my office. Each morning I power on the BF2, Lokius, and Vali 2, and connect my Samsung Galaxy Fold 3 phone as the source via USB-C to USB-B cable to the BF2. It works fine. However, if I disconnect my phone to walk away from my desk, when I come back and reconnect the phone the BF2 never detects a USB connection and wont play music. The BF2 doesnt do any clicking or anything, like it normally does when it initially detects a USB connection. I have to unplug the BF2's AC power cable, and switch the power on/off many times before it willl detect the USB/phone again. Its a real pain in the ass. The Modi 3/Loki Mini stack at my desk does not have this problem.
Have others had problems with BF2 detecting USB?

Unison does not have the "low power flag" that lets low power devices pass through data and power. To circumvent this, get a self-powered USB hub and you should be good to go
This one sentence ...! I wish Schiit had this on their site or in their manuals.
Seems like a design oversight, unless they had a good performance reason to go that route.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #2,725 of 4,812
Hey all. An update is overdue but in case anyone learns from my experience:
1. Schiit sent a replacement BF2, but the problem persisted.
2. Further research on Schiits website led to me finding a FAQ to try a USB powered hub.
3. Problem solved, the connection between my phone and BF2 is no longer an issue.
4. I wish Schiit support had suggested that. It would have saved both parties time and effort.

I've been loving the BF2. Its made me itch for a Yggy. Even if I do upgrade my headfi stack, I'll still probably happily reallocate the BF2 to a 2-ch speaker setup elsewhere in my home.
Huh, that's weird. I've never had to use a powered USB adapter with BF2, but I pretty much always do with the ESS card in the Asgard3, even when using my MacBook Air as a source.

Both are UnisonUSB, but they seem to power their USB interfaces differently...or the same in your case? That's what I don't understand.

Apr 7, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #2,726 of 4,812
Huh, that's weird. I've never had to use a powered USB adapter with BF2, but I pretty much always do with the ESS card in the Asgard3, even when using my MacBook Air as a source.

Both are UnisonUSB, but they seem to power their USB interfaces differently...or the same in your case? That's what I don't understand.
I think its something to do with the USB-OTG on the phone

Apr 7, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #2,727 of 4,812
I think its something to do with the USB-OTG on the phone
In my unqualified opinion it is a Bifrost2 implementation problem not a cell phone problem. This never happened with my Modi 3, Modius, Dragonfly Red, or dongle dacs.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #2,728 of 4,812
Hello guys,

I have a Jot2 with ES9028 module and I will upgrade DAC sometime.

My first option is Bifrost 2, but other two in mind are Ares II and ADI-2:
- Bifrost 2, 800€, and I have the Jot2 to stack with it, I guess is the best afordable stack
- Ares II, 900€, people say only amazing things about this and the toroid inside (even I have read some people saying the toroid became an essential component of modern DACs, and without that is not a DAC because affects negatively to sound), dont have controller
- ADI-2, 1000€, the most expensive, but all those features are amazing, you have always an EQ with you , complete contoller, which makes it more capable for TV or consoles.

The thing is when I search comparisons people saying this is warmer, that has more soundstage and 3D sound, that other is flat, blah blah, and makes me not to decide.

But as far I understand:
- Bifrost 2 has the more natural sound
- Ares II has the best resolution, soundstage, 3D space, etc
- ADI-2 is flat but has the interface with all the features compensate it

Bifrost, with more natural sound comparing to Ares, means that Bifrost reproduces the music as it is and the Ares make upsampling to get that sharpness sound?

Another thing is I dont listen DSD, too lazy to search for it, I am ok with streaming services

But what are your personal thoughts? Have you the chance to compared some of them?

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #2,729 of 4,812
The Bifrost sounds great, it's the cheapest, and matches perfectly with your Jot when stacked. If you don't listen to DSD it's a pretty safe pick.

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #2,730 of 4,812
The Bifrost sounds great, it's the cheapest, and matches perfectly with your Jot when stacked. If you don't listen to DSD it's a pretty safe pick.
Thank you! Suddenly after 2 month new stock for EU plug appeared and I ordered it :yum:. I can replace the ADI-2 EQ feature with Lokius later, mostly to use it when playing some console like Switch or PS5. For PC will still using the APO ofc, far better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back