Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 4, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #2,462 of 4,878
Thanks! In my written review (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/schiit-audio-bifrost-2.24927/reviews) I did a compare b/w the 2 dacs. The BF2 was the winner in my use case, but just barely. Ares II is a fine DAC and I fault no one for picking it over BF2 either. My one hesitation is that I found the BF2 to be better performing via its USB input than SPDIF. However, that was using my motherboard's SPDIF output which is surely noisy and jitter-laden. I briefly tried BF2's coax input using a Singxer SU-2 as the USB interface (report here) and found that with a higher quality SPDIF output, the BF2 can sound amazing again. My guess is the SPDIF output on your 6000CDT is pretty good and connecting it to BF2 via SPDIF is likely at least equal to the BF2's performance when using USB and a computer. I know that's not an answer to your question, but just some things to think about. Good luck!
Thank you, there's no correct answer to my questions really and I appreciate your input very much because that's as close to an answer I'll find. Also thanks for the link to your written review. I'll read it now. I guess you did answer one question that I had and your answer is, yes, there is a noticable difference in performance between a $250 DAC and a $700 one. It sounds like the BF2 does everything that I like about my Modi multibit just much better. Thanks again!

Oct 4, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #2,463 of 4,878
Just curious if the transformer hums on anyone's Bifrost 2? Mine is very loud. My Asgard 3 transformer also hums, but I can't hear it from my computer chair like I can with my Bifrost 2..
Never heard it make a sound except for relay clicks.
The Ragnarok 2 and Vidar up close have a bit of transformer hum, but not the Freya S, Jotunheim 1, Modi Multibit, Bifrost 2 or Yggdrasil, in my experience.

Can you measure your line voltage? Might be interesting.

According to the iFi DC blocker page, a DC offset in your AC mains can cause transformer hum, which the DC blocker is supposed to fix. I have no experience with it.

Oct 4, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #2,464 of 4,878
I am going to post my imperssions of the BF2 vs Yggydrasil later in the week. Just received my Yggy and i think i m gonna have to part ways with my Bf2 but i can honestly say, for the price, you cant beat this dac. Period.

Oct 4, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #2,465 of 4,878
Never heard it make a sound except for relay clicks.
The Ragnarok 2 and Vidar up close have a bit of transformer hum, but not the Freya S, Jotunheim 1, Modi Multibit, Bifrost 2 or Yggdrasil, in my experience.

Can you measure your line voltage? Might be interesting.

According to the iFi DC blocker page, a DC offset in your AC mains can cause transformer hum, which the DC blocker is supposed to fix. I have no experience with it.

Ok, yea I bought a DC blocker. Just waiting on delivery. That would be great if it fixes that.

Oct 4, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #2,466 of 4,878
Just curious if the transformer hums on anyone's Bifrost 2? Mine is very loud. My Asgard 3 transformer also hums, but I can't hear it from my computer chair like I can with my Bifrost 2..
No hum on my BF2 (and my Jot2 if that matters). Dead silent in my set up. Hope the DC Blocker works out.

Oct 5, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #2,467 of 4,878
I can hear a faint hum putting my ear within two inches from the front plate of the BF2 where the Schiit logo is, so very faint but it is there. My Lyr3 that is plugged in to the same outlet has no hum.

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #2,468 of 4,878
I can hear a faint hum putting my ear within two inches from the front plate of the BF2 where the Schiit logo is

Same here - there is a definite hum in the BF2, I have a few other DACs and get no noise from them at all. It's not a big deal but it is there.

I also have a DC blocker and tried that with it - no difference.

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #2,469 of 4,878
Okay, when I get super close, I can hear a hum as well. I don't think that's an issue at all. But if I could hear it from 2+ ft away, I wouldn't like that either when using it as a desktop DAC.

I'd experiment with pushing hard on the case, putting something heavy on it, putting it on isolation feet, holding it in the ear from each of the corners, etc. etc. to see if it's maybe some sort of resonance. Maybe the cover screws aren't tight enough, maybe the transformer needs to be tightened down more. I don't know how easy it is to open up. Probably not hard since there is no volume knob or hidden screws.

But no harm in reaching out to Schiit and asking them what they suggest.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #2,470 of 4,878
Same here - there is a definite hum in the BF2, I have a few other DACs and get no noise from them at all. It's not a big deal but it is there.

I also have a DC blocker and tried that with it - no difference.
I think the amount of hum we have is in the normal range for the kind of build it is (heavy transformer bolted to metal chassis).
I usually sit just over one foot away from it and don’t hear the hum at all (even in a silent room), only when putting my ear really close can I hear it, so I have no problems with it at all.

That said, if the hum is excessive, one can always contact Schiit about it. They have been known by accounts here in the forums to have replaced units with loud transformer hum before.

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,473 of 4,878
Fellow Schiitheads, why does my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra) not recognize Bifrost 2? It recognizes various dongle dacs immediately, but when I connect to Bifrost 2, nothing.

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #2,474 of 4,878
Fellow Schiitheads, why does my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra) not recognize Bifrost 2? It recognizes various dongle dacs immediately, but when I connect to Bifrost 2, nothing.
What audio app you using? Maybe that app needs update from Google store? I use USB Audio Player Pro and BF2 works well with both of my phones, Samsung S7 edge and S10+.

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #2,475 of 4,878

Unison does not have the "low power flag" that lets low power devices pass through data and power. To circumvent this, get a self-powered USB hub and you should be good to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back