Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #2,356 of 4,881
Noticed this problem with my Bifrost 2 yesterday and cant account for it

I was trying the balanced out for fun to the Lokius/Rebel (and yes, again, it has zero affect on sound at all) and I dont know what happened but when I sat down again there was no sound coming out of my system. I reset my Mac to make sure it wasnt software related or something frozen, but audio was coming out of my system speakers fine. I checked all connections, it was all fine. The Bifrost was powered on, I could select it as an audio option, and if I changed the bitrate in MIDI control the B2 would respond and click, interacting with the Mac. So the Mac could see the Bifrost, and the Bifrost could receive the source....but no audio came out.

I tried unplugging it, letting it discharge for an hour, used a ouija board and hoped that would just restart it back to normal - nope

I then unplugged it from my system and put it on my alternate, using the optical in from my Apple TV....audio worked again. So at that point I assumed the USB input was problematic

I plugged it back into my system like before and it magically worked again with USB

Is there any reason this should ever happen?
Did you check your power cord on the Bifrost2 when you experienced the issue? When I first got my BF2, I didn't plug the power cord tight enough and it didn't output audio. I powered it off and then I plugged the power cord tighter and turned back on and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #2,357 of 4,881
Did you check your power cord on the Bifrost2 when you experienced the issue? When I first got my BF2, I didn't plug the power cord tight enough and it didn't output audio. I powered it off and then I plugged the power cord tighter and turned back on and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

You're saying it was already on, but wasn't outputting sound until jimmying the power cord?

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,358 of 4,881
I'm really starting to question Schiit's QC and reliability. I just had to send back my 2-month old Vali 2+ because it had static in the pot, crackly treble, and would totally lose bass at times, sounding thin and bright. If I power cycled it, it would be warm and euphonic in comparison. At first I thought it was the tube, but I could replicate this on all my tubes.

I honestly think it would be beneficial for them to release any data they have on the percentage of each product that is returned as (and proven to be) defective. My guess is that the numbers are pretty average. It‘s just that the hifi audio community, by definition, is a nit-picky bunch. Plus, bad news is more likely and quicker to spread. I mean, what percentage of people take the time to post when the thing they bought is working as intended vs. not working as intended? If the defective numbers are close to the industry average, I’m totally fine with that.

I like supporting Schiit because they are providing USA jobs, they create a high-value product, and they have a sense of humor and candor that seems rare. I also understand they are small, growing quickly, and trying to survive the supply chain nightmare that the pandemic has created. So, I’m willing to give them a pass on some things, like really slow and somewhat sub-standard customer service (i.e. response time and quality of said responses). All that being said, a poor product will not survive my (and I would wager, most customer’s) good graces.

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #2,359 of 4,881
Hello,
Will return to work in Mid may. My office has a door and co-workers won't hear noise leak from open back head phones. New to headphone game, currently have Sony XM3 wireless and Apple Air Pods. First experience with headphone amp and external dac. Iphone 8plus source. Probably downloaded Quobuz and Amazon HD content - work prohibits streaming on company wifi, my phone signal weak.

Leaning towards first system similar to JoseG86
Focal MG Headphones, Schiit Jotunheim 2 amp, Schiit BiFrost 2 Dac.
Newbie connections - please confirm

1. Pair Balanced Pyst 10 inch from Jot Amp to Bifrost Dac.
2. Iphone8 plus to Bifrost Dac. Older phone. a)Apple Lightning Camera adapter from phone b)2m or less USB 2.0 cable from camera adapter to USB input on back of BiFrost (6 in manual). Assume this will give me "digital out" from phone into BiFrost dac USB input
3. Focal Clear MG to phone. Replace Focal clear stock xlr cable with something from from Moon Audio or Helix. Moon Dragon black 6 foot 395, 10 450. Expensive. Asked Clear Forum any cheaper option, excluding DIY.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit allergic to expensive cables, and I'd rather get another set of cans before I spent 4-figues on a cable!. I got a fantastic XLR cable for my OG Focal Clear's from Norne Audio, custom made with a ton of options, very, very reasonable prices and a complete upgrade from the stock cables, amazing build quality.

If you're in the office, I'd recommend using your computer as a source as it allows for exclusive mode and lets your get the highest bitrate you can from Tidal/Quobuz/Amazon/Apple Music, probably doesn't matter with Spotify. You shelled out for a Bifrost 2, make sure it gets the highest bitrate you can give it!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #2,360 of 4,881
You're saying it was already on, but wasn't outputting sound until jimmying the power cord?
Yes, the loose connection of the power cord provided the BF2 to power on, but somehow not able to function audio output. By tightening it, I was able to hear audio come out. I have since used aftermarket power cord on the BF2 for a tighter fit and for what it's worth sounded better. But that's another can of worms for debate 🙂.

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #2,361 of 4,881
Yes, the loose connection of the power cord provided the BF2 to power on, but somehow not able to function audio output. By tightening it, I was able to hear audio come out. I have since used aftermarket power cord on the BF2 for a tighter fit and for what it's worth sounded better. But that's another can of worms for debate 🙂.

Interesting. I vaguely remember issues where I needed to reseat the power but I forget the symptoms now (just the memory of being annoyed over it). That said, I did re plug everything twice to no avail in this instance, unless I was just more frustrated and firmer on the 3rd attempt.

if its powering on, responsive, but not playing audio based on a loose connection....that doesnt sound good. Either current is flowing or not. Weird.

Sep 8, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #2,362 of 4,881
I honestly think it would be beneficial for them to release any data they have on the percentage of each product that is returned as (and proven to be) defective.
It is very unusual for any business to release such data. Businesses in any industry would certainly like to have this information about their competitors.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #2,366 of 4,881
A 700$ DAC, cheap? :)
It's internally single ended, and then an opposite signal is generated from the analog output to produce a differential signal at the XLR outs.

Which is much cheaper than what Gungnir does, where a DSP sends an inverted digital signal for each channel to a separate DAC chip*, and then those separate outputs make up the two halves of a differential signal. Much more expensive because you need twice the amount of DAC chips (one per phase per channel instead of one per channel), analog filters, etc.

* Or maybe it gets the same signal but runs with the current flow reversed, assuming that's even possible. But you get the idea.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #2,367 of 4,881
The BF2 showed as a device, I just didn't get any output. The solution wasn't obvious but I would have gone nuts if I hadn't figured it out. (I'm running the most current version of MacOS Big Sur.)
I am running macOS Catalina and this has happened to me as well. I have checked the "Show Volume in the Menu Bar" so I can see when it happens, but it has not happed again.

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #2,368 of 4,881
I am running macOS Catalina and this has happened to me as well. I have checked the "Show Volume in the Menu Bar" so I can see when it happens, but it has not happed again.

huh? Volume in the menu bar is always on the "mute" icon when using the Bifrost because volume controls are disabled

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #2,369 of 4,881
huh? Volume in the menu bar is always on the "mute" icon when using the Bifrost because volume controls are disabled
That is correct. When not playing music it will show your volume setting, if it is still muted this is the tell.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #2,370 of 4,881
Mine also lost all output recently, purchased about a year ago.

I sent it back to Schiit, they repaired for free and shipped it back to me. I was very pleased with their customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back