Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 6, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #2,341 of 4,812
In regards to the Gungnir multibit.. I'm seeing a lot of people saying there are two versions floating around. The 1st being more analog and warm sounding while the 2nd and assuming the one Schiit provides now is more cold. Almost bought the gungir multibit for that warm side of neutral sound until I came across forums saying how much it has changed. Anyone have recent experiences with this? If it's indeed fact that Schiitt for whatever reasons changed the sound signature of the gungir...then I may just get the bitfrost. Really was looking to stack though and I'm not putting anything on top of the freya +. 🥵
IMHO, the decision is easier than that.

If you have a fully balanced system and want to get the last drop of quality out of it, go Gungnir.

If you have a single-ended system, go Bifrost.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,345 of 4,812
There is discernable difference in audio quality between single and balanced on bifrost2 to my ears and with my system the later being the better. But if the amp, headphones or speakers aren't resolving and sensitive enough it really wont matter.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,347 of 4,812
Noticed this problem with my Bifrost 2 yesterday and cant account for it

I was trying the balanced out for fun to the Lokius/Rebel (and yes, again, it has zero affect on sound at all) and I dont know what happened but when I sat down again there was no sound coming out of my system. I reset my Mac to make sure it wasnt software related or something frozen, but audio was coming out of my system speakers fine. I checked all connections, it was all fine. The Bifrost was powered on, I could select it as an audio option, and if I changed the bitrate in MIDI control the B2 would respond and click, interacting with the Mac. So the Mac could see the Bifrost, and the Bifrost could receive the source....but no audio came out.

I tried unplugging it, letting it discharge for an hour, used a ouija board and hoped that would just restart it back to normal - nope

I then unplugged it from my system and put it on my alternate, using the optical in from my Apple TV....audio worked again. So at that point I assumed the USB input was problematic

I plugged it back into my system like before and it magically worked again with USB

Is there any reason this should ever happen?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #2,348 of 4,812

I was trying the balanced out for fun to the Lokius/Rebel (and yes, again, it has zero affect on sound at all) and I dont know what happened but when I sat down again there was no sound coming out of my system. I reset my Mac to make sure it wasnt software related or something frozen, but audio was coming out of my system speakers fine. I checked all connections, it was all fine. The Bifrost was powered on, I could select it as an audio option, and if I changed the bitrate in MIDI control the B2 would respond and click, interacting with the Mac. So the Mac could see the Bifrost, and the Bifrost could receive the source....but no audio came out.

I tried unplugging it, letting it discharge for an hour, used a ouija board and hoped that would just restart it back to normal - nope

I then unplugged it from my system and put it on my alternate, using the optical in from my Apple TV....audio worked again. So at that point I assumed the USB input was problematic

I plugged it back into my system like before and it magically worked again with USB

I would consider sending it back for repair if you can repeat the issue. I just recently lost all audio output on mine. didn't matter if it was Windows, MacOS, USB, optical, different cables. The Bifrost 2 just powered on with no output.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,349 of 4,812
I would consider sending it back for repair if you can repeat the issue. I just recently lost all audio output on mine. didn't matter if it was Windows, MacOS, USB, optical, different cables. The Bifrost 2 just powered on with no output.
I'm really starting to question Schiit's QC and reliability. I just had to send back my 2-month old Vali 2+ because it had static in the pot, crackly treble, and would totally lose bass at times, sounding thin and bright. If I power cycled it, it would be warm and euphonic in comparison. At first I thought it was the tube, but I could replicate this on all my tubes.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #2,350 of 4,812

MacOS will occasionally mute the BF2 in my system. I have no idea what causes it to do this but going into "Sound" in the System Preferences and checking the devices under the "Output" tab you may see that the Mute box has been checked; just uncheck it and you should be good to go. I freaked out the first time it happened (after I changed the USB cable connecting the BF2 to my iMac) but figured it out the second time it happened. I can't explain it but hope the next big MacOS update (which should be coming soon) will sort out this issue.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,351 of 4,812

in your case, did your computer still recognize the device, or was it just a brick?

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #2,352 of 4,812
in your case, did your computer still recognize the device, or was it just a brick?
The BF2 showed as a device, I just didn't get any output. The solution wasn't obvious but I would have gone nuts if I hadn't figured it out. (I'm running the most current version of MacOS Big Sur.)

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,354 of 4,812
MacOS will occasionally mute the BF2 in my system. I have no idea what causes it to do this but going into "Sound" in the System Preferences and checking the devices under the "Output" tab you may see that the Mute box has been checked; just uncheck it and you should be good to go. I freaked out the first time it happened (after I changed the USB cable connecting the BF2 to my iMac) but figured it out the second time it happened. I can't explain it but hope the next big MacOS update (which should be coming soon) will sort out this issue.

I actually didnt think to look at that, thanks for reminding me. (no reason for it to have been triggered at random but who knows now)

I'm really starting to question Schiit's QC and reliability. I just had to send back my 2-month old Vali 2+ because it had static in the pot, crackly treble, and would totally lose bass at times, sounding thin and bright. If I power cycled it, it would be warm and euphonic in comparison. At first I thought it was the tube, but I could replicate this on all my tubes.

After having noise issues on my first Lokius (not to mention the crappy pots) I'm definitely on edge now that this scare happened on the more expensive item...

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,355 of 4,812
It did, but no sound would come out. I even A/B tested with another DAC to check on the cables and all. Same result across two PCs and two OSes.

Great...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back