Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 8, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #2,297 of 4,878
Hey fellas,

I need some suggestion regarding my next dac purchase. Im in the market for a non delta sigma high end dac. Just you give you guys a little bit of context, i m gonna briefly explain my situation. I basically have two setups. On one side, I have my Pontus 2 feed by a Hermes DDC, and the pontus 2 supplying my Feliks OTL amp. I consider this setup complete as I see no reason to change anything in the chain. I use this setup for my ZMF cans exclusively.

Now my other chain is my Bifrost 2 supplying the GSX mini via XLR and the Liquid Platinum via SE. I am satisfied with the performance of the BF2 but i feel like there's room for improvement. I think my pontus 2 provides more fuller sound, but unfortunately it can only run one set of output at a time. Other wise i would use that to supply both my mini and the Elise. Now i am itching for a new dac that can simultaneously power both xlr and SE.

I am torn between the Gungnir and Yggdrasil. I am also looking at Audio GD R8 MK2 but i have no idea about Audio GD products. Ive looked into Holo Audio products but they are a little bit out of my price range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,299 of 4,878
Hey fellas,

I need some suggestion regarding my next dac purchase. Im in the market for a non delta sigma high end dac. Just you give you guys a little bit of context, i m gonna briefly explain my situation. I basically have two setups. On one side, I have my Pontus 2 feed by a Hermes DDC, and the pontus 2 supplying my Feliks OTL amp. I consider this setup complete as I see no reason to change anything in the chain. I use this setup for my ZMF cans exclusively.

Now my other chain is my Bifrost 2 supplying the GSX mini via XLR and the Liquid Platinum via SE. I am satisfied with the performance of the BF2 but i feel like there's room for improvement. I think my pontus 2 provides more fuller sound, but unfortunately it can only run one set of output at a time. Other wise i would use that to supply both my mini and the Elise. Now i am itching for a new dac that can simultaneously power both xlr and SE.

I am torn between the Gungnir and Yggdrasil. I am also looking at Audio GD R8 MK2 but i have no idea about Audio GD products. Ive looked into Holo Audio products but they are a little bit out of my price range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

IMO, the GSX mini with BF2 is pretty warm combo which probably what makes you think that it's not as open/full sounding. A GMB A2 would suit the mini better or upgrade the mini to the GSX MK2 which is more neutral / open in the mids and treble than the GSX mini. IMO, BF2 with GSX MK2 should fill that improvement

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2,300 of 4,878
Go Yggdrasil and never look back. :)
You sir, are a terrible influence.

With that being said, Would you care to share your thoughts between the Gumby and the Yggy, if you have experience with both? How does the Yggy differ from the BF2?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #2,301 of 4,878
You sir, are a terrible influence.

With that being said, Would you care to share your thoughts between the Gumby and the Yggy, if you have experience with both? How does the Yggy differ from the BF2?

In 2017, I set out to buy the Gumby but they didn't have it at the shop. So I audition Yggdrasil, Ragnarok and HD800. I bought all 3 that day and return 2 weeks later to buy the LCD-2f. I never did get a chance to hear Gumby but I don't think I need to. I also didn't have a chance to hear Yggdrasil upgrade and I didn't need to as I like how it sound ... as it is. In my world of tube amps, a more neutral sounding dac such as the Yggdrasil v1 makes sense.

In a nutshell, BF2 is warmer, more closed in soundstage compared to Yggdrasil v1. I use both accordingly but I use Yggdrasil mostly. I like Bf2 for it's slight warmth and relaxing manner in portraying music. I love Yggdrasil for the details and clarity and yet it's not tiring to listen to.

I've heard my friend's Terminator but I felt Yggdrasil held it's own and I never felt the need to change the dac in the 4 years plus since I've it. It's almost as good as the Rega Rp8 with Apheta mc cartridge and that's high praise from me. :)

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #2,302 of 4,878
Yggdrasil A2 is closer to BF2’s signature than A1 whereas GMB A2 is closer to Yggdrasil A1’s tonality than Yggdrasil A2. Yggdrasil GS is A1 but without the Unison USB so you need a good transport/streamer prior to Yggdrasil GS in order to maximize its potential

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #2,303 of 4,878
In a nutshell, BF2 is warmer, more closed in soundstage compared to Yggdrasil v1. I use both accordingly but I use Yggdrasil mostly. I like Bf2 for it's slight warmth and relaxing manner in portraying music. I love Yggdrasil for the details and clarity and yet it's not tiring to listen to.
That sounds really good for the Yggdrasil, as the Bifrost2 has a very good and expansive soundstage of its own to my ears. :)

Aug 8, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #2,305 of 4,878
Well this is crazy I am using a harmonic tech ac-10 power cord on my jottenheim 2 and I swapped in my older harmonic tech ac-11 on my new bifrost 2 . The set up is sounding quite a bit better. And my Elac Naviis speakers are now sounding much better as well. What is wrong with us audiophiles using a thousand dollars plus of power cords on 2 schiit pieces that would have cost 1100 USD if I did not opt the JOT 2 with the multibit dac.

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #2,307 of 4,878
Mate, thanks much for this.

I've resisted tubes for a while, as I can tell from the various tube-rolling threads they are highly engaging/addictive.

Vali2+ it is then for now, you know, just for a taste, I'm sure it will stop there..
The Vali 2+ is really an excellent amp and it seems better every time I use it. I'm not sure how Jason pulled that all off for $149, but he did. You don't have to roll many tubes. Get a Voskhod rocket 6N1P-EV and call it a day. It has the most richness and warmth of all the tubes I've tried. If you're a detail and sound stage freak, go the 6CG7 route. Don't go the 6922/6DJ8/E88CC route as those tubes are too thin and splashy in the Vali 2+.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #2,308 of 4,878
Well got my new silnote Morpheus Ref Classic 11 XLR cable today popped it in and it seems to have made a noticeable improvement up and down over my old cable pro ( no longer in business) XLR cable. Loving the schiit stack even more and my ELAC Naviis speakers are sounding a lot better as well . So the break in process on my schiit stack keeps progressing in a positive direction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back