Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Apr 3, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #1,846 of 4,875
I am experiencing Audio Nirvana with Bf2/Jot2 and Focal Clear.... Impressive, did I reach the point where I don't spend more money? Did I really get it?...
"did I reach the point where I don't spend more money? Did I really get it?..."

No more crazy-talk. Money follows dreams, and we always dream.

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,849 of 4,875
Mine took 11 days to ship. I think demand is so high they build them as they get orders and can’t keep up.
Mine took 14 days IIRC. I think I read somewhere, in one of Jason's posts, or maybe one of his YouTube videos, that there is only one guy who assembles the Bifrost.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,850 of 4,875
Does anyone know if you can switch between the balanced and single ended outputs on Bifrost 2? Specifically - I'd like to send the balanced output to my headphone amp and the unbalanced output to my powered speakers that have their own volume control...

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,851 of 4,875
Does anyone know if you can switch between the balanced and single ended outputs on Bifrost 2? Specifically - I'd like to send the balanced output to my headphone amp and the unbalanced output to my powered speakers that have their own volume control...
Both at the same time

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #1,852 of 4,875
Both at the same time
Ah - so not switchable...I guess I could turn off the powered monitors when listening to headphones...

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #1,853 of 4,875
Ah - so not switchable...I guess I could turn off the powered monitors when listening to headphones...
Yes, both output are active all the time. So you have to switch off one of the downstream device when not in use.

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #1,854 of 4,875
I've just had a phono-equipped Jotunheim 2 arrive, which is now happily parked on top of my Bifrost 2.

I must say that this combo is a pretty formidable pairing. It has no less than six inputs...

- Phono
- XLR
- RCA
- USB
- Coaxial
- Optical

...and I seriously need every single one of them for use in my system. Oh, and it sounds absolutely terrific playing out of my OG Clears via Roon/USB via the balanced output. Highly recommended.

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #1,856 of 4,875
Just had caps upgraded in my MJ2 and it took about 3 days of constant running to get the amp to settle in. I do believe gear needs a period to burn in to sound its best when new.
The MJ2 was strident and glaring out of the box after mods.

Really digging the MJ2/BF2 combo with my Clears.

Why did you decide to upgrade the caps and what did it change on the amp?

Apr 9, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #1,857 of 4,875
Do people recommend a darker amp with the BF2 or is a more neutral amp (like SPL Phonitor XE or THX amp) OK?
Depends on your headphones... I use a tube amp with BF2 for my Senns.

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #1,858 of 4,875
Hello,
Will return to work in Mid may. My office has a door and co-workers won't hear noise leak from open back head phones. New to headphone game, currently have Sony XM3 wireless and Apple Air Pods. First experience with headphone amp and external dac. Iphone 8plus source. Probably downloaded Quobuz and Amazon HD content - work prohibits streaming on company wifi, my phone signal weak.

Leaning towards first system similar to JoseG86
Focal MG Headphones, Schiit Jotunheim 2 amp, Schiit BiFrost 2 Dac.
Newbie connections - please confirm

1. Pair Balanced Pyst 10 inch from Jot Amp to Bifrost Dac.
2. Iphone8 plus to Bifrost Dac. Older phone. a)Apple Lightning Camera adapter from phone b)2m or less USB 2.0 cable from camera adapter to USB input on back of BiFrost (6 in manual). Assume this will give me "digital out" from phone into BiFrost dac USB input
3. Focal Clear MG to phone. Replace Focal clear stock xlr cable with something from from Moon Audio or Helix. Moon Dragon black 6 foot 395, 10 450. Expensive. Asked Clear Forum any cheaper option, excluding DIY.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 11, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #1,859 of 4,875
Hello,
Will return to work in Mid may. My office has a door and co-workers won't hear noise leak from open back head phones. New to headphone game, currently have Sony XM3 wireless and Apple Air Pods. First experience with headphone amp and external dac. Iphone 8plus source. Probably downloaded Quobuz and Amazon HD content - work prohibits streaming on company wifi, my phone signal weak.

Leaning towards first system similar to JoseG86
Focal MG Headphones, Schiit Jotunheim 2 amp, Schiit BiFrost 2 Dac.
Newbie connections - please confirm

1. Pair Balanced Pyst 10 inch from Jot Amp to Bifrost Dac.
2. Iphone8 plus to Bifrost Dac. Older phone. a)Apple Lightning Camera adapter from phone b)2m or less USB 2.0 cable from camera adapter to USB input on back of BiFrost (6 in manual). Assume this will give me "digital out" from phone into BiFrost dac USB input
3. Focal Clear MG to phone. Replace Focal clear stock xlr cable with something from from Moon Audio or Helix. Moon Dragon black 6 foot 395, 10 450. Expensive. Asked Clear Forum any cheaper option, excluding DIY.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like your putting together a killer system, great that your office has a door, hope it also has a heavy lock!

Balanced PYST should work fine from the BF2 to the Jot.
You will need that CCK for the iphone, Schiit also have a good USB A-B PYST cable for 20 bucks if you don’t already have one.
Cant comment on a balanced cable for your Clears, but at this point you might as well go the full measure and get a good one.

Good luck!

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #1,860 of 4,875
Sounds like your putting together a killer system, great that your office has a door, hope it also has a heavy lock!

Balanced PYST should work fine from the BF2 to the Jot.
You will need that CCK for the iphone, Schiit also have a good USB A-B PYST cable for 20 bucks if you don’t already have one.
Cant comment on a balanced cable for your Clears, but at this point you might as well go the full measure and get a good one.

Good luck!
Thanks for feedback, Neweymatt.
Looking at the USB A-B PYST cable on Schiit site. So would connect his to Apple CCK cable to back of Bifrost2 - got it.

Re my work set up. In finance/accounting without much foot traffic. Have cleaning company clean office nightly. Cleaners known to have sticky fingers - stuff disappears. Considering repurposing a camera gear bag to tote the headphones, dac and amp back and forth to work. That amp and dac are about 9x6x2 so not huge. Work has switched to Microsoft Teams phone so all calls coming to cell phone - the Cisco desk phone going away. So when call comes in, need to disconnect phone from CCK cable and pick up call. Looking to get new phone, may get latest Iphone 12 and use current IPhone 8plus for music, 64 Gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back