Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 24, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #1,111 of 4,937
The value proposition of BF2 is just revolutionary IMO. Well implemented D/S DACs can also portray a similar feeling of resolving ability without ever causing fatigue, and I'd even go as far as ultra-smooth (even much smoother than BF2/GMB A2 and Yggdrasil A2) that flows effortlessly, but they would cost at least 2-5x more than BF2. One downside that I always note with those D/S DACs and this includes the well regarded Chord DAVE with Blu-MK2 that I've demoed a number of times is the D/S DAC's (well implemented only) "hyper-realistic" sound (they do give awesome wow factor in the beginning) that can sometimes sound "too hi-fi or ethereal/refined" for my taste (or like electrostats vs dynamics as an analogy). I'd trade the utmost refined sound of those D/S DACs for some "live rawness (other forums calls this plankton)" signature that BF2, GMB A2 and Yggdrasil A2 have in their presentation especially the vocals and piano rendition that sounds more realistic than the uberclean well implemented D/S and upper/summit tier Chord DACs. The Schiit MB is not for everyone but it's an acquired taste of you're into "raw vintage sound" with modern technicalities.

I have a similar experience on a different scale with the KEF LSX... They sound amazing and huge bass from a tiny speaker... Smooth, clean sound... But they sound almost 'too' clean and processed and not very natural or real to me...

Great size for office and near field use, but haven't decided if I'm going to keep them yet or go back to cans.

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #1,112 of 4,937
I have a similar experience on a different scale with the KEF LSX... They sound amazing and huge bass from a tiny speaker... Smooth, clean sound... But they sound almost 'too' clean and processed and not very natural or real to me...

Great size for office and near field use, but haven't decided if I'm going to keep them yet or go back to cans.

Yep. That's the trademark of the D/S DAC that's inside the LSX that you're hearing. I do enjoy that punchy and refined D/S sound with the IEMs as they're brutally picky with sources, and somehow I find that desktop amps don't drive balanced armature IEMs as well as DAPs (at least with the Andromeda as reference), but with speakers, I'd take the BF2 or GMB A2 (The choice between the two DACs depends on the preamp/power/integrated amp and speaker synergy) over any "refined D/S sound" IMO.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #1,115 of 4,937
I just bought a new modi Multibit and coming from Topping E30, it sounds better (holographic, smoother).
I miss remote and wondering what Bifrost 2 will bring sonically to the table? How much better does it sound?

I read couple of replies in the thread that only highs resolution is better.
Is it really worth extra $450?
Wanted to get more opinions before I run out of my 14 days. :v:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #1,116 of 4,937
I just bought a new modi Multibit and coming from Topping E30, it sounds better (holographic, smoother).
I miss remote and wondering what Bifrost 2 will bring sonically to the table? How much better does it sound?

I read couple of replies in the thread that only highs resolution is better.
Is it really worth extra $450?
Wanted to get more opinions before I run out of my 14 days. :v:

I'm planning to order Bifrost 2 shortly and haven't heard modi
... But from my research what I hear is that it does depend somewhat on how revealing the rest of your chain is.

Bifrost 2 is said by many to sound more like Gugnir Rev 1 or Yggy Rev A than it does the modi. Whereas the modi and original BF were closer in sound.

For SE some call the BF2 a mini Yggy - which is high praise indeed.

@Torq has a review of BF2 on the headphones.com forum which I found helpful

Overall BF2 is receiving almost universal praise from those that like the multibit sound.

The remote for BF2 only changes sources and phase, I believe... There is no digital or analog volume control, so you would need to handle volume with Amp or source

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,117 of 4,937
Jun 24, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #1,118 of 4,937
I'm planning to order Bifrost 2 shortly and haven't heard modi
... But from my research what I hear is that it does depend somewhat on how revealing the rest of your chain is.

Bifrost 2 is said by many to sound more like Gugnir Rev 1 or Yggy Rev A than it does the modi. Whereas the modi and original BF were closer in sound.

For SE some call the BF2 a mini Yggy - which is high praise indeed.
@Torq has a review of BF2 on the headphones.com forum which I found helpful

Overall BF2 is receiving almost universal praise from those that like the multibit sound.

The remote for BF2 only changes sources and phase, I believe... There is no digital or analog volume control, so you would need to handle volume with Amp or source

BF2 actually made the Torq's top 10 favorite DAC list and it's the only DAC that doesn't cost more than 3 digits in the price tag, let alone costing more than 2x less than the next cheapest DAC on his list :). I do agree with Torq that the BluMK2/M-Scaler is a must with Chord DAVE and Hugo 2 TT as it elevates the sense of depth in the music from my demo which is what I really like with the Schiit MB DACs.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,119 of 4,937
My Bifrost 2 arrived today and I've started warming it up for its first test.

Anyways, I'm super OCD so I was hoping Bifrost 2 owners could comment on the remote sensor hole on the front panel. I can see the remote sensor through the hole but it is positioned significantly lower than the hole itself. I can see over the sensor into the PCB and the top of the sensor barely touches the bottom of the sensor window. Does anyone else have a Bifrost like this or is the sensor supposed to line up with the hole in the front panel?

Jun 25, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #1,120 of 4,937
My Bifrost 2 arrived today and I've started warming it up for its first test.

Anyways, I'm super OCD so I was hoping Bifrost 2 owners could comment on the remote sensor hole on the front panel. I can see the remote sensor through the hole but it is positioned significantly lower than the hole itself. I can see over the sensor into the PCB and the top of the sensor barely touches the bottom of the sensor window. Does anyone else have a Bifrost like this or is the sensor supposed to line up with the hole in the front panel?
As a fellow OCD guy, mine was exactly like that. I could see the led light leaking through the hole at some angles.

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,121 of 4,937
As a fellow OCD guy, mine was exactly like that. I could see the led light leaking through the hole at some angles.

Mine as well. I may be in the minority judging by the number of complaints I've seen about the super-bright LEDs on previous models, but I am actually not a big fan of the new light-piped LEDs for this reason. I would rather have the old crisp, but scorching lights than light bleed if I had my choice.

That said, it's a pretty minor nitpick as the build quality is great on mine in every other aspect, and the sonic performance is exactly what I was hoping for.

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #1,122 of 4,937
BF2 actually made the Torq's top 10 favorite DAC list and it's the only DAC that doesn't cost more than 3 digits in the price tag, let alone costing more than 2x less than the next cheapest DAC on his list :). I do agree with Torq that the BluMK2/M-Scaler is a must with Chord DAVE and Hugo 2 TT as it elevates the sense of depth in the music from my demo which is what I really like with the Schiit MB DACs.

That's pretty crazy that he put the $699 Bifrost 2 on the same Top 10 list as the $68,500 dCS Vivaldi (w/ Upsampler and Master Clock) and the $114,400 MSB Select DAC (w/ FEMTO 33 Clock and 2x Mono Powerbases)!! :astonished::money_mouth:

Can't wait for mine to finally get here!! :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #1,124 of 4,937

Users who are viewing this thread

Back