Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 16, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,053 of 4,812
I'm planning to buy a DAC this week. If the Bifrost was available, or I had a reasonable expectation that it would ship around the 6/30 date on Schiit's website (or even by, say, Bastille Day), I'd buy it. But I am currently six weeks into a wait for a ZMF Aeolus that looks nowhere near to ready and I really don't feel like investing almost $800 (with sales tax and shipping, which is a lot for me--I'm retired) into another piece of gear whose shipping date is even more mysterious. I bet they have a lot of backorders to fulfill before they get to new orders and the parts delay may clang down once again. I'm inclined to go with the Topping D90 MQA, especially since it is on sale this week and virtually all my music listening is from Tidal. Reviewers who I respect have given it very good or better reviews. One spent a lot of time comparing it to the Bifrost; he gave the edge to the Bifrost, but found it quite close. I'm still pondering, but that's my inclination ATM.

And TBH, I feel that Schiit has been less than candid about the situation, moving back the ship date multiple times without providing more information. I realize that the current situation is tough for everyone, but I'd feel more charitable if Schiit had just admitted that the situation was unpredictable and it would ship when it would ship. By doing what they did, it's impossible to trust anything they say now on the situation.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #1,054 of 4,812
I'm planning to buy a DAC this week. If the Bifrost was available, or I had a reasonable expectation that it would ship around the 6/30 date on Schiit's website (or even by, say, Bastille Day), I'd buy it. But I am currently six weeks into a wait for a ZMF Aeolus that looks nowhere near to ready and I really don't feel like investing almost $800 (with sales tax and shipping, which is a lot for me--I'm retired) into another piece of gear whose shipping date is even more mysterious. I bet they have a lot of backorders to fulfill before they get to new orders and the parts delay may clang down once again. I'm inclined to go with the Topping D90 MQA, especially since it is on sale this week and virtually all my music listening is from Tidal. Reviewers who I respect have given it very good or better reviews. One spent a lot of time comparing it to the Bifrost; he gave the edge to the Bifrost, but found it quite close. I'm still pondering, but that's my inclination ATM.

And TBH, I feel that Schiit has been less than candid about the situation, moving back the ship date multiple times without providing more information. I realize that the current situation is tough for everyone, but I'd feel more charitable if Schiit had just admitted that the situation was unpredictable and it would ship when it would ship. By doing what they did, it's impossible to trust anything they say now on the situation.

Waiting sucks, no question. And not knowing what's happening sucks too. But I am certain Schiit has never screwed over a customer's order and you would be safe placing an order...as long as you are OK waiting. Saying you can't trust Schiit because of the ship date slipping is a little extreme, IMO.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #1,055 of 4,812
I feel that Schiit has been less than candid about the situation, moving back the ship date multiple times without providing more information.

Jason posted elsewhere that they are waiting on specific parts. What they are telling you is likely based on the same things their suppliers are saying, which can be equally unreliable. Something to be happy for is that we have the internet and the ability to quickly communicate and find out what is going on. Better than a few decades ago!

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,056 of 4,812
Waiting sucks, no question. And not knowing what's happening sucks too. But I am certain Schiit has never screwed over a customer's order and you would be safe placing an order...as long as you are OK waiting. Saying you can't trust Schiit because of the ship date slipping is a little extreme, IMO.
Boy, how in the world did you come up with that? I've made multiple purchases from Schiit, their CS has always been great, and it would never enter my mind not to trust them to fulfill my order. What I thought I clearly said was that I didn't trust what they said what they say about the Bifrost shipping date. I realize that they may well be getting bad estimates from their supplier, but whatever the reason, if I place an order now I have no idea when it will ship. I am absolutely confident that Schiit will ship it to me when they can but it could well be months. Or only weeks. My point is nobody knows and I don't feel like placing an order under those circumstances.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #1,057 of 4,812
Boy, how in the world did you come up with that? I've made multiple purchases from Schiit, their CS has always been great, and it would never enter my mind not to trust them to fulfill my order. What I thought I clearly said was that I didn't trust what they said what they say about the Bifrost shipping date. I realize that they may well be getting bad estimates from their supplier, but whatever the reason, if I place an order now I have no idea when it will ship. I am absolutely confident that Schiit will ship it to me when they can but it could well be months. Or only weeks. My point is nobody knows and I don't feel like placing an order under those circumstances.

Sorry, misread that part. On first read it looked like you were saying you can't trust them but i misunderstood your meaning.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #1,058 of 4,812
Hey guys, when the Bifrost 2 is shipped domestically, is there an invoice included in the box either outside or inside?

I am asking because, import duty that Indian Customs charges is high (~75%) and I am trying to use a shipping forwarding service. If there is no invoice included in the box, I will be able to provide an invoice showing a lower value, to avoid the high import duty.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #1,059 of 4,812
@Marlowe I can relate to your predicament. However, knowing myself I can tell you that in your place, were I to buy the Topping, I would then spend my time wondering whether I’d have been happier with the Bifrost 2 instead. That is, of course, entirely based on my own experience and personality; if you don’t have audio nervosa to the same extent that I have, you might indeed be better served purchasing the product that is available right now.

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #1,064 of 4,812
When did you place your order? I just placed mine less than 2 weeks ago. I guess I probably shouldn't expect it until August/September based on what's been going on.

Nah, I'm guessing yours will ship by sometime next week, assuming they have enough parts in stock to fill all the backorders. I placed my order on 4/27 and it shipped today. No guarantees, but I doubt current orders will be delayed much past the 6/30 estimate they currently have up as long as they don't run out of parts again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back