Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 13, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,036 of 4,912
Plus there's the added bonus that the BF2 is upgradeable for future possible enhancements which will likely also make it retain better resale value in case you don't decide to keep it.
And warranty issues are probably smoother with Schiit and almost certainly faster. My BF2 wouldn't power on (problem with power plug port) and from my shipping it out from halfway across the country to receiving it back fixed only took 13 days total.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #1,037 of 4,912
And warranty issues are probably smoother with Schiit and almost certainly faster. My BF2 wouldn't power on (problem with power plug port) and from my shipping it out from halfway across the country to receiving it back fixed only took 13 days total.

For sure, Schiit customer service has been outstanding in my experience. Even through this super long, super annoying backorder delay, they've been very responsive, patient, and polite answering my status inquiries. Under normal non-pandemic circumstances, upgrade turnaround has always been quick for me in the past as well. I have not had any warranty issues with the gear I've owned so far, but I feel confident they will make things right if I do.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #1,039 of 4,912
Will probably be a high level "What are the major differences & sound signatures between all these different types of DACs?" review (r2r, multibit, chip, fpga). Would love to compare to a BF2 but I can't seem to find one
I have owned DS DAC, R2R OS, R2R NOS,Multibit, FPGA. I prefer Multibit and R2R NOS for headphone listening. Multibit a little more for speakers. Please do note even in MULTIBIT, Gungnir and Bifrost sound different. Bifrost is warmer comoared to Gungnir and is closer to NOS DAC like from Metrum.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,040 of 4,912
I remember before owning Metrum Onyx, I always had issue with headphone listening. I love warm and laid back sound. More like HD650 compared to HD600 and if you have sound preference like me then definitely you will prefer BF2 over Delta sigma or Chord atleast for headphone listening.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,041 of 4,912
I have owned DS DAC, R2R OS, R2R NOS,Multibit, FPGA. I prefer Multibit and R2R NOS for headphone listening. Multibit a little more for speakers. Please do note even in MULTIBIT, Gungnir and Bifrost sound different. Bifrost is warmer comoared to Gungnir and is closer to NOS DAC like from Metrum.
So lend me your BF2 for the review :) We're local!

Another review released last week says the Gumby is "richer, more revealing, and a livelier performer" compared to the Bifrost 2. Would be fun to compare directly.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #1,042 of 4,912
So lend me your BF2 for the review :) We're local!

Another review released last week says the Gumby is "richer, more revealing, and a livelier performer" compared to the Bifrost 2. Would be fun to compare directly.
I would have but I'm not in US right now due to Covid lockdown. But even with Gungnir and Qutest you will see the clear difference between 2 completely different approach. I had both last year and compared them and preferred Gungnir over qutest.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #1,043 of 4,912
I remember before owning Metrum Onyx, I always had issue with headphone listening. I love warm and laid back sound. More like HD650 compared to HD600 and if you have sound preference like me then definitely you will prefer BF2 over Delta sigma or Chord atleast for headphone listening.

Good to hear. That's exactly what I am hoping for. Hopefully I am not too much further down the backorder list!

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,050 of 4,912
Had I not ordered mine earlier this year, I’d be waiting months like a duck on two audio products, with all sorts of thoughts going through my head in the mean time....

Hope you all on the waiting list all can enjoy it soon. It’s that good of a dac. Now I really really really really wanted and Yggy just to see what exactly I’m missing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back