Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,021 of 4,812
I'm using my Mimby again after not using it for over 6 months and I'm loving it but I want to know just how much better the Bifrost 2 is in comparison? For me $699 is a big jump since I've never spent over $300 for a dac so it has to be a noticable improvement over the Mimby. I'm sure it would be but I'd like to here what people think that have used both.
I have Mimby, Bimby, and BF2. For me, BF2 had more noticeable improvement from Bimby than Bimby did from Mimby.

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,022 of 4,812
I'm planning to get a new DAC next week and, according to Jason Stoddard's post yesterday on another site, the Bifrost 2 may be shipping by then. (Though even if he is correct, and he does acknowledge that nothing is really certain ATM, it is unclear when they will done clearing backorders and fulfilling new orders.) I'm still leaning towards putting in an order since I really want the Bifrost. At $770 including shipping and NJ sales tax, the Bifrost represents about the limit of my budget and the only DAC that seems to be a comparable alternative is the R-2R Denafrips Ares II (with free shipping and no tax, it is $2 cheaper) and that currently has a 2-3 week delay until it even ships from Singapore. I'd just as soon go with the US made Schiit for numerous reasons. (I guess I sound as impatient as I am. I'm currently five weeks into what appears to be a very long wait for a ZMF Aeolus which has sapped the little patience I normally have.)
Bifrost 2 is worth the wait. I was skeptical it would be more of a side-grade from the original MB Bifrost but the improvements were quickly noticed. I hear you on the patience part. I ordered the Focal Elex from Drop on 4/28. Ship date is 8/31!

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #1,024 of 4,812
I'm leaning toward getting the BF2 because not only for the SQ but the fact it's easily upgradeable and I hope they do come out with upgraded modules in the future so you can do so. Also, being able to use a micro sd card to update the firmware is really nice to. All in all I think it would be worth the extra money it costs to get it. I've been a Schiit customer for a few years now and have yet to be disappointed with one of their products.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #1,025 of 4,812
I'm leaning toward getting the BF2 because not only for the SQ but the fact it's easily upgradeable and I hope they do come out with upgraded modules in the future so you can do so. Also, being able to use a micro sd card to update the firmware is really nice to. All in all I think it would be worth the extra money it costs to get it. I've been a Schiit customer for a few years now and have yet to be disappointed with one of their products.
An amazing company indeed. The upgradeable design is smart, but the irony is...I can't imagine any meaningful improvements on what is already an exceptionally high bar for this platform. The black background can't get any blacker, and timbre, imaging, staging, clarity is already top notch. As it stands, I imagine BF2 will eat into Gungnir sales as the delta has now become so small.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,026 of 4,812
Has anyone spent time comparing BF2 and Yiggy A2 in a 2.0 speaker setup? Fed by USB using SE output?

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #1,027 of 4,812
An amazing company indeed. The upgradeable design is smart, but the irony is...I can't imagine any meaningful improvements on what is already an exceptionally high bar for this platform. The black background can't get any blacker, and timbre, imaging, staging, clarity is already top notch. As it stands, I imagine BF2 will eat into Gungnir sales as the delta has now become so small.
Well, they could add a module for AES connection. They could add their Adapticlcok thingy to that. They could create a module that would use 2 of the AD5791 chips, and literally make it a single ended Yggdrasil. I am really hoping for that last one! Looking at your signature, we have quite a bit in common. Besides the Bifrost, I also have the Arya, AFC and HD650. I am about to throw a GS-X Mini in the middle there.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,028 of 4,812
Couldn't wait any longer and picked up a used Gumby

dac_battle1.jpg

dac_battle2.jpg

So far I *really* like this Schiit :ksc75smile: Waiting on a Qutest to get here for the full review

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,029 of 4,812

dac_battle1.jpg

dac_battle2.jpg

So far I *really* like this Schiit :ksc75smile: Waiting on a Qutest to get here for the full review

What are your thoughts on the Denafrips Ares II?

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #1,030 of 4,812
What are your thoughts on the Denafrips Ares II?
Initial impression is it's super smooth, I can see why it's so popular. Still trying to decide if what I'm hearing is actually more "natural" or not like R2R fans tout.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,031 of 4,812
Initial impression is it's super smooth, I can see why it's so popular. Still trying to decide if what I'm hearing is actually more "natural" or not like R2R fans tout.
I have been looking at it hard. $68.00 more than the BF2, but free shipping makes it almost a wash.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,032 of 4,812
I have been looking at it hard. $68.00 more than the BF2, but free shipping makes it almost a wash.
I've been looking at these two also. Schiit charges shipping (the Denafrips ships free) and US sales tax (I don't believe the Denafrips distributor in Singapore does). These items makes the Ares II not quite two dollars cheaper in New Jersey. I've pretty much decided to go with the Bifrost 2 though. FWIW (and it may not be worth much) Jason Stoddard claimed the other day its shipping was "imminent." Be aware that the Ares II is back to a 2-3 week delay before shipping.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,033 of 4,812
I've been looking at these two also. Schiit charges shipping (the Denafrips ships free) and US sales tax (I don't believe the Denafrips distributor in Singapore does). These items makes the Ares II not quite two dollars cheaper in New Jersey. I've pretty much decided to go with the Bifrost 2 though. FWIW (and it may not be worth much) Jason Stoddard claimed the other day its shipping was "imminent." Be aware that the Ares II is back to a 2-3 week delay before shipping.

Plus there's the added bonus that the BF2 is upgradeable for future possible enhancements which will likely also make it retain better resale value in case you don't decide to keep it.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #1,034 of 4,812

dac_battle1.jpg

dac_battle2.jpg

Will you be comparing Gumby and BF2? Gumby and Qutest? All three?

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #1,035 of 4,812
Will you be comparing Gumby and BF2? Gumby and Qutest? All three?
Will probably be a high level "What are the major differences & sound signatures between all these different types of DACs?" review (r2r, multibit, chip, fpga). Would love to compare to a BF2 but I can't seem to find one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back